Lack of Iron

No. I like realistic resources --- and I think the new system is far, far better than the ones in previous titles.

I tried to use black marketeer last night and clearly I had no idea what I was doing. I had 5 warriors ready for upgrade and only 20 iron but was expecting I could upgrade them all.
What was I doing wrong?

Black Marketeer is for new units produced in Magnus city, AFAIK. Didn't use it yet though.

Code:
Effects
Strategic resources are not required in the city in order to build resource dependent units.

GS-Only: Strategic resources for units are discounted 80%.

I'm also in the camp that some scarcity is good for the (SP) game. It's not really that challenging anyway, so anything that forces me to have an obstacle to overcome and some tough choices to make is welcome. As others have mentioned, there are tons of ways to acquire resources if you really need them - buy them from the AI, become the suzerain of a city-state, use Amani, etc.

In fact, in most of my games where I've played peacefully I find myself drowning in horses and iron (and I don't tend to have that many cities, 6-7 usually) that I don't really need for anything, especially from the mid-game onward (apart from a little bit of iron for railways). I can sell them to the AI, but then at some point they also reach their capacity. I think it would be nice to have some non-warfare use for those resouces, like the power resources later on. Maybe an Arena alternative like a Hippodrome, which consumes 1 horse/turn to give extra amenities, or a Foundry replacement for the Workshop that consumes iron to give extra production.

I do agree that Firaxis probably need to have a look at oil. There are too many units that consume it, including a couple like Infantry and Artillery, that could be unlocked before you even have discovered oil. That's in addition to oil being used as a power resource. (Although, it's probably a good representation of oil being the principal fuel of human civilization in the last century or so.)

Edit: Did a quick check, it turns out that no less than 10 units (not including uniques) use oil. Also, if the wiki is correct, oil does NOT spawn on plains or grassland (except marsh), which are the main types of terrain that you tend to have. There is clearly some rebalancing to be done somewhere.

Last edited:
Black Marketeer is for new units produced in Magnus city, AFAIK. Didn't use it yet though.

Black Marketeer applies to cities in which Magnus is, or was, established.

EDIT: Since I hate paying the "retail" resource cost for units, I find this promotion quite compelling.

No iron? Maybe build an army of Xbows and Coursers?

That's what a 12 pack will do.
and yet I second said quoted statement !

I'm not saying you can't make incoherent statements. I will point them out sometimes.

And in this case it's not a matter of opinion. Saying "I like realistic resources therefore I reject realistic resources" is nonsense. Objective self-inconsistency :p.

I tried to use black marketeer last night and clearly I had no idea what I was doing. I had 5 warriors ready for upgrade and only 20 iron but was expecting I could upgrade them all.
What was I doing wrong?

AFAIK Black marketeer works only for building/purchasing units, not upgrades. Heal with pillage, get that iron ;)

Top Bottom