Language translations for leader sayings

Seondeok I haven't heard much of, but her intro mentions Korea rather than the Silla. Blergh. :|

Still, the voice actress sounds better than Sejong's voice actor in Civ V.
It is pretty weird that European monarchs can list out their full styles while Gitarja claims to rule Indonesia and Seondeok Korea. :(

Agreed. Dyah Gitarja should have mentioned the Majapahit Empire, and Seondeok the Silla kingdom (Goon-hwa-hahng). "Hanguk", the term Seondeok uses to refer to Korea, is used by modern South Koreans to refer to Korea, so that's not quite right either. North and South Korea as we know them today did not exist in the time of the Three Kingdoms period of Korea.

I bet the anachronistic references to Indonesia and Korea in Gitarja and Seondeok's dialogues were intentional somehow.

Yeah, it's possible. I'm puzzled by why they added such inaccuracies when they've shown they know better than that for other civs.

I've seen that Gandhi's Hindi part wasn't translated yet. I studied Hindi for one and a half year at university thus I tried translating it. It's possible that there're mistakes and in my English too because my mother tongue is neither Hindi nor English.

Introduction (Hindī):

Devanāgarī: नमस्कर, मैं मोहनदास गांधी हूँ। मेरे लोग मुझे बापू कहते हैं। पर कृपया मुझे मित्र कहें॥

Transliteration: namaskara maiṃ mohanadāsa gāndhī hūṃ| mere loga mujhe bāpū kahate haiṃ| par kṛpayā mujhe mitra kaheṃ||

Transcription: namaskar main mohandaas gaandhee hoon. mere log mujhe baapoo kahate hain. par krpaya mujhe mitr kahen.

Translation: Namaskar (a polite greeting), I am Mohandas Gandhi. My people call me Bapu (Father). But please call me a friend.

In-game translation: Hello, I am Mohandas Gandhi. My people call me Bapu, but please, call me friend.

Agenda-based disapproval (Hindī):

Devanāgarī: यदि आप ख़ून कितने प्यासे हैं, तो आपके नेतृत्व को समाप्त करना ही बेहतर होगा॥

Transliteration: yadi āpa khūna kitane pyāse haiṃ, to āpake netṛtva ko samāpta karanā hī behatara hogā||

Transcription: yadi aap khoon kitne pyaase hain, to aapke netrtv ko samaapt karna hee behtar hoga.

Translation: If you (polite) are thirsty for so much blood, then it will be probably better to make an end to your rulership.

In-game translation: If you are so bloodthirsty, maybe it is better to put an end to your leadership.

Declare War (Hindī):

Devanāgarī: मैं नैतिकता के कुरबानी दिए बिना इस जंग हिस्सा ले सकता हूँ। मत पूछ कैसे है। आप न समझेंगे॥

Transliteration: maiṃ naitikatā ke kurabānī die binā is jaṅga hissā le sakatā hūṃ| mata pūcha kaise hai| āpa na samajheṅge||

Transcription: main naitikta ke kurbaanee die bina is jang hissa le sakta hoon. mat poochh kaise hai. aap na samjhenge.

Translation: I can take part in this war without sacrificing morals. Don't ask how. You (polite) won't understand.

In-game translation: I can engage in this war without sacrificing morals. Don't ask me how; you wouldn't understand.

Many thanks! Added your translations to the first post.

Let me know if anything is missing.

Defeat:
  • 寡人未曾料及......尔焉非也。
  • guǎ rén wèi céng liào jí......ěr yān fēi yě。
  • I never would have thought......not like this.
  • Not sure about the last phrase, it could be translate into what the subtitle says (...not like this), but the grammar is broken.

爾/尔 can have several meanings in classical Chinese. I guess here it stands for either "you", or "this".
焉 stands for "how" or "how come".
非 stands for "not".

So 尔焉非也 literally can mean: How come this is not... / How come you are not...
But what is he referring, I don't really know. The grammar is quite broken but can roughly mean "not like this", as the in-game translation.

This line really puzzles me a lot since I first hear it.

I've seen that Gandhi's Hindi part wasn't translated yet.
Thanks a lot! But I think you missed the Defeat line, which is also in Hindi.

Let me know if anything is missing.
Just one small suggestion - I think you should increase the font size of the head titles in English lines (Agenda-based approval, for example) so it is the same as the head lines of Hindi ones (for example Introduction). At the moment they are a bit difficult to spot.

Dyah Gitarja
Source: YouTube user, Arallan King

Speaks Modern Javanese but Krama Inggil dialect, which is a very formal polite form of conversation, mainly spoken by older people.

The lines in parentheses are in-game lines while the lines above are the transliteration of Krama Inggil.

Agenda-based Approval:
ꦱꦶꦫ ꦲꦔꦺꦢꦺꦴꦲꦶ ꦥꦱꦶꦂ ꦲꦶꦏꦁ ꦭꦸꦮꦶꦃ ꦲꦭꦶꦠ꧀꧉ ꦏꦮꦶꦒꦠꦺꦤ꧀꧈ ꦥꦿꦺꦴ ꦥꦿꦤꦪ ꦲꦶꦏꦤ꧀ ꦭꦤ꧀ ꦲꦶꦔꦫꦤꦤ꧀ ꦲꦲꦪꦸ꧉
Sira angedohi pasir ikang luwih alit. Kawigaten, pro pranaya ikan lan ingaranan ahayu.
(You avoid the smaller shores. Such deference is noted—and well-regarded.)

Agenda-based Disapproval:
ꦱꦶꦫ ꦢꦠꦤ꧀ ꦧꦶꦱ ꦲꦁꦒꦺꦒꦺꦩ꧀ ꦮꦶꦱꦪꦤꦶꦁ ꦤꦸꦱ ꦥꦤꦸꦱꦤꦶꦫ꧉ ꦄꦧꦺꦕꦶꦏꦶꦁ ꦲꦮꦺꦲ ꦫꦶꦁ ꦮꦺꦴꦁ ꦲꦶꦁꦏꦁ ꦮꦺꦤꦔ꧉
Sira datan bisa anggegem wisayaning nusa panusanira. Abeciking aweha ring wong ingkang wenanga.
(You cannot keep hold of your island territories. You should deliver them to someone who can.)

Attacked:
ꦄꦠꦸꦲꦸ ꦥꦫꦤ꧀ ꦤꦺꦴꦫ ꦮꦿꦸꦲ ꦠꦏ꧀ ꦁꦏꦺꦴ ꦮꦭꦺꦱꦤ꧀ꦏꦸ ꦲꦁꦒꦶꦫꦔꦶ ꦮ ꦱꦏꦭ꧉ ꦫꦶꦏ ꦩꦁꦏꦺ ꦱꦶꦫ ꦧꦏꦭ꧀ ꦮꦿꦸꦲ꧉
Atuhu? Paran nora wruha tak ngko walesanku anggirangi wa sakala. Rika mangke sira bakal wruha.
(Truly? Didn't you know my vengeance puts monsoons to shame? Soon you will.)

Declares War:
ꦱꦢꦸꦫꦸꦔꦶꦫ ꦥꦿꦁ ꦥꦸꦥꦸꦠ꧀꧈ ꦱꦶꦫ ꦧꦏꦭ꧀ ꦮꦿꦸꦲ ꦏꦿꦺꦴꦝꦤꦶꦁ ꦗꦸꦁ ꦱꦺꦮꦸ꧉
Sadurungira prang puput, sira bakal wruha krodhaning jung sewu
(Before this war ends, you will know the fury of a thousand ships.)

Defeated:
ꦆꦩ꧀ꦥꦺꦤꦶꦁ ꦤꦸꦱ꧀ꦮꦤ꧀ꦠꦫ ꦲꦶꦭꦁ ꦲꦶꦁ ꦲꦒꦿꦸꦧꦶꦁ ꦥꦱꦁ꧉
Impening Nuswantara ilang ing agrubing pasang.
(The dream of Nusantara is lost to the turning tide.)

Greeting:
ꦱꦁꦒꦶꦠꦂꦗꦠꦲꦏꦸ꧉ꦫꦠꦸꦤꦶꦁꦏ꧀ꦭꦮꦤ꧀ꦥꦔꦿꦏ꧀ꦱꦤꦶꦁꦲꦶꦤ꧀ꦢꦺꦴꦤꦺꦱꦶꦪ꧉ꦱꦶꦤ꧀ꦠꦺꦤꦲꦶꦏꦁꦏꦸꦩꦶꦫ꧈ꦲꦏꦸꦠꦤ꧀ꦥꦧꦶꦱꦭꦸꦩꦿꦃꦲꦤꦺꦁꦝꦱꦫꦶꦁꦱꦩꦺꦴꦢꦿ꧉
Sang Gitarja ta aku, Ratuning kalawan Pangraksaning Indonesiya. Sintena ikang kumira? Aku tanpa bisa lumrah aneng dhasaring samudra
(I am Gitarja, Indonesia's queen and protector. Those who thought us weak litter the ocean floor.)

Seondeok I haven't heard much of, but her intro mentions Korea rather than the Silla. Blergh. :|

Still, the voice actress sounds better than Sejong's voice actor in Civ V.

Silla is the Classical Ancestor of modern Korea (at least to the extent that Old Korean is the Silla Language). But I think that's fairly common. The real question is if she refers to her own land as Korea in the same way Gitarja refers to her Kingdom as Indonesia. The second question is what term she uses for Korea--Joseon, Goguryeo, Ku-Ri-Ya (as they used for join marching in the 2002).

I've seen that Gandhi's Hindi part wasn't translated yet. I studied Hindi for one and a half year at university thus I tried translating it. It's possible that there're mistakes and in my English too because my mother tongue is neither Hindi nor English.

Introduction (Hindī):

Devanāgarī: नमस्कर, मैं मोहनदास गांधी हूँ। मेरे लोग मुझे बापू कहते हैं। पर कृपया मुझे मित्र कहें॥

Transliteration: namaskara maiṃ mohanadāsa gāndhī hūṃ| mere loga mujhe bāpū kahate haiṃ| par kṛpayā mujhe mitra kaheṃ||

Transcription: namaskar main mohandaas gaandhee hoon. mere log mujhe baapoo kahate hain. par krpaya mujhe mitr kahen.

Translation: Namaskar (a polite greeting), I am Mohandas Gandhi. My people call me Bapu (Father). But please call me a friend.

In-game translation: Hello, I am Mohandas Gandhi. My people call me Bapu, but please, call me friend.

Agenda-based disapproval (Hindī):

Devanāgarī: यदि आप ख़ून कितने प्यासे हैं, तो आपके नेतृत्व को समाप्त करना ही बेहतर होगा॥

Transliteration: yadi āpa khūna kitane pyāse haiṃ, to āpake netṛtva ko samāpta karanā hī behatara hogā||

Transcription: yadi aap khoon kitne pyaase hain, to aapke netrtv ko samaapt karna hee behtar hoga.

Translation: If you (polite) are thirsty for so much blood, then it will be probably better to make an end to your rulership.

In-game translation: If you are so bloodthirsty, maybe it is better to put an end to your leadership.

Declare War (Hindī):

Devanāgarī: मैं नैतिकता के कुरबानी दिए बिना इस जंग हिस्सा ले सकता हूँ। मत पूछ कैसे है। आप न समझेंगे॥

Transliteration: maiṃ naitikatā ke kurabānī die binā is jaṅga hissā le sakatā hūṃ| mata pūcha kaise hai| āpa na samajheṅge||

Transcription: main naitikta ke kurbaanee die bina is jang hissa le sakta hoon. mat poochh kaise hai. aap na samjhenge.

Translation: I can take part in this war without sacrificing morals. Don't ask how. You (polite) won't understand.

In-game translation: I can engage in this war without sacrificing morals. Don't ask me how; you wouldn't understand.

Wow, this is amazing. You know more Hindi than most native speakers do! This is extremely formal and literary Hindustani, though weirdly alternating between Urdu and Sanskritized vocabulary. There are just two minor mistakes:
  • In the disapproval, it is "यदि आप ख़ून का इतने प्यासे हैं..." (yadi aap khuun ka itne pyaase hain). Not कितने, which is only a question word.
  • In the declare war, it is "जंग में हिस्सा ले सकता हूँ" - to take part IN a war. The second sentence is "मत पूछें कैसे". Also, I think he says नहीं instead of न (though both versions are correct).
The defeat line:
अब मुझे जंजीरों में जकड़ें। यातनाएं दें। यहाँ तक की आप मेरे शरीर को नष्ट कर दें। पर आप मेरे मन को कभी कैद नहीं सकेंगे।
Ab mujhe janjeeron mein jakdein. Yatnaen dein. Yahaan tak ki aap mere sharir ko nasht kar dein. Par aap mere man ko kabhi kaid nahi sakenge.
Now put me in chains. Torture me. Go as far as to destroy my body. But you will never be able to imprison my mind.

I'm really looking forward to seeing Chandragupta. I don't know that much Sanskrit (and from what little I've heard I can't even ascertain if he's speaking Sanskrit), but it would be fun to try.

I'm glad that the Hindi lines of Gandhi have been translated/transliterated. Hopefully, someone will provide the Arabic writing for Saladin's dialogue someday.

Updated parent post with Gitarja characters. Let me know if anything is missing, or if there are errors.

Wow, this is amazing. You know more Hindi than most native speakers do! This is extremely formal and literary Hindustani, though weirdly alternating between Urdu and Sanskritized vocabulary. There are just two minor mistakes:
  • In the disapproval, it is "यदि आप ख़ून का इतने प्यासे हैं..." (yadi aap khuun ka itne pyaase hain). Not कितने, which is only a question word.
  • In the declare war, it is "जंग में हिस्सा ले सकता हूँ" - to take part IN a war. The second sentence is "मत पूछें कैसे". Also, I think he says नहीं instead of न (though both versions are correct).
The defeat line:
अब मुझे जंजीरों में जकड़ें। यातनाएं दें। यहाँ तक की आप मेरे शरीर को नष्ट कर दें। पर आप मेरे मन को कभी कैद नहीं सकेंगे।
Ab mujhe janjeeron mein jakdein. Yatnaen dein. Yahaan tak ki aap mere sharir ko nasht kar dein. Par aap mere man ko kabhi kaid nahi sakenge.
Now put me in chains. Torture me. Go as far as to destroy my body. But you will never be able to imprison my mind.

I'm really looking forward to seeing Chandragupta. I don't know that much Sanskrit (and from what little I've heard I can't even ascertain if he's speaking Sanskrit), but it would be fun to try.
To avoid any errors, could you post the full correct transliteration for the three lines you mention? It is easier for me to copy characters that way without accidentally cutting characters.

Silla is the Classical Ancestor of modern Korea (at least to the extent that Old Korean is the Silla Language). But I think that's fairly common. The real question is if she refers to her own land as Korea in the same way Gitarja refers to her Kingdom as Indonesia. The second question is what term she uses for Korea--Joseon, Goguryeo, Ku-Ri-Ya (as they used for join marching in the 2002).
She refers to her land as modern Korea as referenced by modern South Koreans. "Hanguk", to be precise.

The defeat line:

Thank you very much for your corrections. At university we only read texts thus it was quite difficult for me just to hear what is said. I did know that kitne couldn't be correct, but the solution didn't came in to my mind, just because it sounds a bit like kitne (if you're not trained in listening to spoken Hindi). With "मत पूछें कैसे" I was a bit confused because I learnt मत does only appear with imperativ. So I put just पूछ there although it appears to be very impolite.
But so I learnt some new things about Hindi and uses of a verbal forms which I didn't knew. Thus I'm thankful for your remarks.

If Candragupta speaks Sanskrit it would also for me fun trying to understand, what he's saying.

She refers to her land as modern Korea as referenced by modern South Koreans. "Hanguk", to be precise.

Oh. I didn't consider that to be an option. Silla did originate as a member of Jinhan, so I guess you could say it is a Hanguk. That's probably a stretch.

@ArallanKing thanks a lot! The script is really beautiful!
Although you missed the "pep talk", the one that is in Civilopedia. You can listen to it here:
https://soundcloud.com/user-137283764/indo-gi-misc-pep-talk-a-1?in=user-137283764/sets/gitarja

Sadly, a lot of the "pep talk" lines seem to be untranslated. The Civilization wiki only gives the English translations for those lines. They're at the top of the leader pages, so many people don't realize they have recorded lines unless they've checked the Civilopedia.

With "मत पूछें कैसे" I was a bit confused because I learnt मत does only appear with imperativ.
मत is only used with imperatives. These verbs ending with एं are all imperatives with आप :) . In more formal situations, the मत would be replaced with न, however.

To avoid any errors, could you post the full correct transliteration for the three lines you mention? It is easier for me to copy characters that way without accidentally cutting characters.
I don't know how to transliterate Hindi officially as linguists do, but I'll write how the sentences would be transliterated normally.
Introduction: नमस्कार, मैं मोहनदास गांधी हूँ। मेरे लोग मुझे बापू कहते हैं। पर कृप्या, मुझे मित्र कहें॥
Transcription: Namaskaar, main mohandaas gaandhi hun. Mere log mujhe baapu kehte hain. Par kripya, mujhe mitr kahein.
Disapproval: यदि आप ख़ून का इतने प्यासे हैं, तो आपके नेतृत्व को समाप्त करना ही बेहतर होगा॥
Transcription: Yadi aap khoon ka itne pyaase hain, to aapke netrittva ko samaapt karnaa hi behtar hoga.
Declare War: मैं नैतिकता के कुरबानी दिए बिना इस जंग में हिस्सा ले सकता हूँ। मत पूछें कैसे। आप नहीं समझेंगे॥
Transcription: Main naitikta ke kurbaani diye bina is jang mein hissa le sakta hun. Mat puchein kaise. Aap nahin samjhenge.
Defeat: अब मुझे जंजीरों में जकड़ें। यातनाएं दें। यहाँ तक की आप मेरे शरीर को नष्ट कर दें। पर आप मेरे मन को कभी कैद नहीं सकेंगे।
Transcription: Aab mujhe janjeeron mein jakdein. Yaatnaein dein. Yahaan tak ki aap mere sharir ko nasht kar dein. Par aap mere man ko kabhi kaid (or it might be 'qaid', I'm not sure with Urdu words) nahin sakenge.

Last edited:
Some of Wilhelmina's dialogue made an appearance in Quill18's livestream. She speaks Modern Dutch in a very polite manner.

Introduction
"Ik ben Wilhelmina, Koningin der Nederlanden. Het is mijn grote eer* u eindelijk te ontmoeten."
In-game dialogue:
"I am Wilhelmina, Queen of the Netherlands. It's my great pleasure to finally meet you."
Translation:
"I am Wilhelmina, Queen of the Netherlands. It's a great honour to me to finally meet you".

*The dialogue is a bit weird in that she appears to be saying "mijn" (My great honour) but it could be "mij een" (a great honour to me), which would be more gramatically correct.

Agenda Disapproval:
"Wie handel weigert, denkt vaak dat hij bij ons kan pakken wat hij wil. Hij heeft het flink mis"*
In-game dialogue: "Those who refuse trade often think they can take what they want from us. They"re sorely mistaken."
Translation: "[He] who refuses trade, often thinks he can grab anything he wants from us. He's sorely mistaken."
*I'm not sure what the best translation for the word "flink" is in this context. They game went with sorely, which is correct meaning-wise. Nuance-wise, "vastly" would've been a better translation.

Note that her sentences are in the third person singular instead of plural. The pronoun used in Dutch to refer to a person of an unknown gender ("men") is never used in subclauses like these. So while she does say "he", the correct translation into English is "they".

PS: bonus Billiemina screenie if you don't trade with her.

Attachments

• Pissymina.png
    Pissymina.png
    830.3 KB · Views: 192
Some of Wilhelmina's dialogue made an appearance in Quill18's livestream. She speaks Modern Dutch in a very polite manner.

Introduction
"Ik ben Wilhelmina, Koningin der Nederlanden. Het is mijn grote eer* u eindelijk te ontmoeten."
In-game dialogue:
"I am Wilhelmina, Queen of the Netherlands. It's my great pleasure to finally meet you."
Translation:
"I am Wilhelmina, Queen of the Netherlands. It's a great honour to me to finally meet you".

*The dialogue is a bit weird in that she appears to be saying "mijn" (My great honour) but it could be "mij een" (a great honour to me), which would be more gramatically correct.

Agenda Disapproval:
"Wie handel weigert, denkt vaak dat hij bij ons kan pakken wat hij wil. Hij heeft het flink mis"*
In-game dialogue: "Those who refuse trade often think they can take what they want from us. They"re sorely mistaken."
Translation: "[He] who refuses trade, often thinks he can grab anything he wants from us. He's sorely mistaken."
*I'm not sure what the best translation for the word "flink" is in this context. They game went with sorely, which is correct meaning-wise. Nuance-wise, "vastly" would've been a better translation.

Note that her sentences are in the third person singular instead of plural. The pronoun used in Dutch to refer to a person of an unknown gender ("men") is never used in subclauses like these. So while she does say "he", the correct translation into English is "they".

PS: bonus Billiemina screenie if you don't trade with her.

I think I'm going to call Wilhelmina "Pissymina" from now on....

Top Bottom