Language translations for leader sayings

Checked it on IMDB, other than her - no. I was thinking that Mansa Musa is voiced by the same actor as Ramses in Civ5, but no, they are different actors.
Given that some of the Civ V DLC leaders have uncredited voice actors, the voice actor for Pachacuti in Civ V could be the same as the Civ VI version.

Here are the files. Also, next to some leaders I'll tag forum users who expressed a wish to translate that leader's lines.

Dido
Eleanor of Aquitaine
Kristina - @Red_warning
Kupe - @Canterbury
Mansa Musa - as far as I can tell from my basic knowledge of Arabic, it's Arabic. Although I can't tell what type. Maybe it's Hassaniya Arabic?
Matthias Corvinus - @oakflesh @krokobone
Pachacuti - @Zaarin
Suleiman - good thing: it is actually Ottoman language, not modern Turkish, so big kudos to FXS, I approve their agenda. :thumbsup: Bad thing: I can't fully understand and translate it right away, will need to ask around for help. Or maybe there is someone here who actually knows Ottoman and can do it. :)
Wilfrid Laurier

Just gave a try to Eleanor, as she indeed seems to speak occitan and it is a close cousin of catalan. I'm not able to get everything, and I'm not daring enough to try writting transcriptions, but I can figure the general content of what she is saying in most of her phrases. Don't have the english text either, so let's see how much I got right:

1. Generic: actually, this one is in latin, and I can dare to transcribe it without many errors. Generic medieval King introduction:
"In the name of the saint and indivisible Trinity, I, Eleanor, humble queen of the Franks and duchess of Aquitania by the grace of god"
("In nomine sancte e individue trinitatis, ego, Elionoris, Dei gratia humilis Francorum regina e aquitanorum duccessa")

2. First meet: Welcomes you ("Ben siatz venguts") to her court, ("cort d'Aleanor, duquesa d'Aquitania"), names her queen consort of both France and England (why not?) ("rèina consorts de França e d'Anglatèrra"), and also names the title of judgess of love ("jutgessa d'Amor")

3.War Human: A quite typical (in catalan, and probably in occitan) phrase to say she's sorry/sad to go war: "It's serious to me / It's grief to me" ("M'es grèu") "that we now have to do war between us" ("que ara ajam far guerra entre nos"). She then stops, thinks its and adds "but not…" ("mas non"). I guess the last Word is "(you) win" or "(you) come", but I can figure it correctly.

4.War AI: I can't figure most of this phrase, maybe due to it is said angered and fast. The last bit ("per vos vencer") its clearly "to win you". My impression of the previous words is she's praising her troops that are grouping, (to win you), but I can't figure something coherent.

5.Kudos: I could figure most of this one, and I'd say I love how it is both in line with Eleanor represented persona, and also with what you can read in old catalan regal texts. It goes mainly "I say, you have the most great cities near our common frontienr, as roses extended in an exhuberant garden*…" (exhuberant garden is as near as I could get in english to the meaning of "verger", which is normally used for a place with plenty of (beautiful) vegetation. ("On dits, que avets mes grans ciutats pres de nostra frontera comunal, aissi com rosas expandidas en un verger…"). She then goes on: "Ohh!, how delighting"

6.Warning: The inverse of the previous: "If you want ?? to build cities next to our frontier" ("Si voletz ?punyár? de bastir ciutats près de nòstra frontièra") (laughs), then recommends you them to be "more strong and beautiful" ("plus fòrt e bèlas") i haven't figured much more of the rest of the phrase, but by the tone she's clearly saying she'll get them :)

7.Defeat: "If your thirst of power leads you to ¿behead? (fig.) my regime, so be it" ("Si vòstra set de poder vos mena a ¿decapcèr? mon regim, que assi? siatz"). Can get much of the ending, but seems to be saying it is the end (or the twilight) of the Court of Love.

I wrote down few of Mansa Musa's lines here:

Meeting: أنا سلطان موسى سيّد مالي وبحمد الله أنا رجل غني جدّاً جدّاً تشرّفت بلقائكم.
I am sultan musa lord of mali and thanks to God I am a very very rich man...I am honored to meet you.
Kudos: افرحوا معي يا أصدقاء لأنّنا أحرارمن كل رغبة ويمكن أن نكرّس وقتنا لإرادة الله
Rejoice/be happy with me friends for we are free from all desire and may dedicate our time to the will of God.

Thanks be to Josephias and MonsieurOiseau, as well as our other previous contributors! I have added their translations to the first page (see further down). I have changed only a few things for consistency and clarity (or to replace Josephias' "I" with "Josephias" for example.

Someone has transcribed Eleanor's quotes in the comments of the youtube videos here:

EDIT: and in the other Eleanor videos posted by the same youtuber. I don't know why it only linked one instead of the playlist.

Someone has transcribed Eleanor's quotes in the comments of the youtube videos here:

EDIT: and in the other Eleanor videos posted by the same youtuber. I don't know why it only linked one instead of the playlist.
Interesting. Are these transcriptions accurate though?

Interesting. Are these transcriptions accurate though?

I’d say yes. I may review later some gaps on my translations following these videos.

Mansa Musa defeated:
الثروة عابرة والتعلم يؤدي إلى الغرور... كل ما فعلته يا الهي فعلته باسمك
Wealth is passing and learning leads to vanity...all that I did my God, I did in your name.
warning: ماذا فعلتم ليأخذ الله منكم تلك المكافأة؟ اعودوا إلى طريق الصواب.
What have you done for God to take such a reward from you? Return to the path of correctness
War human: كفى! تسامحي منتهي هنا... يجب أن تكون بيننا حرب بدلا من سلام زائف
Enough! my tolerance is ended here...there must be war between us instead of a false peace.
War AI: تجاوزاتك عميقة مثل المحيطات يا الله ...عيني على عقاب

Why is Kristina's Voice Actress credited as Mtag/MTAG? Did she not want her real name known? So strange....

OK, this is finished. The transcriptions in YouTube videos helped to build the phrases a bit better. Still can't say it's 100% accurate, but you have it mostly complete.

Eleanor
Speaks mostly ancient occitan - translated by a modern catalan speaker, so it might not be 100% accurate.​
1. Generic:
Latin: "In nomine sancte e individue trinitatis, ego, Elionoris, Dei gratia humilis Francorum regina e aquitanorum duccessa"
Direct translation: "In the name of the saint and indivisible Trinity, I, Eleanor, humble queen of the Franks and duchess of Aquitania by the grace of god"
(Generic medieval King introduction:)
In game text: ...

2.First Meet
Occitan (ancient):
"Ben siatz venguts a la cort d'Alienor, duquesa d'Aquitania, rèina consors de França e d'Anglaterra, jutjairitz d'amor. Quaus nòvas ditz?"
Direct translation: "Well be you come to the court of Eleanor, Duchess of Aquitanie, Queen consort of France and England*, judgess of love. Which news you say?"
*Why not? Guess they had to do it to use the phrase for both Eleanors, even if she could not be both at the same time (maybe in the case of Eleanor of england, just a jttle).
In game text: "Welcome to the court of Eleanor, Duchess of Aquitanie, Queen consort of France and England, the judge of love. What tidings?"

3.War Human
Occitan (ancient):
"M'es grèu que ara avèm far guerra entre nos, mas noi tendrem"
Direct translation: "It's grief to me that now we have to make war between us, but we will have (got it)".
*"It's serious to me / It's grief to me" ("M'es grèu") is a quite typical (in catalan, and probably in occitan) phrase to say you're sorry.
In game text: "I regret we must now go to war with each other - but I regret it only a Little"
Note: by In game text meaning, last words could be as well "mas non tan grèu" (this is: "but not so grief")

4.War AI
Occitan (ancient):
"Terras frevols vey, ab frevol governador. Mas vos vezetz òst que s’amassant per vos vencer".
Direct translation: "Weak* lands I see, with weak* ruler. But you see a host* that is assembling to win you"
*weak or fragile, host in the meaning of army
In game text: I see weak lands, led by a weak ruler. You see my armies massing to overthrow you.

5.Kudos
Occitan (ancient):
"Òm ditz que avètz mes grans ciutats près de nòstra frontièra comunal aissi com ròsas espandidas en un vergier… ohh... Com es deleichós!"
Direct translation: "It is said you placed great cities near our common frontier, as roses extended in an exhuberant garden*… ohh… how delightful!"
*exhuberant garden is as near as I could get in english to the meaning of "verger", which is normally used for a place with plenty of (beautiful) vegetation.
In game text: "I am told you have placed great cities near our common border, like a garden of splendid roses.... Delightful!

6.Warning:
Occitan (ancient):
"Si voletz ponhar? de bastir ciutats près de nòstra frontièra que se farsan? fòrtas e bèlas per a que siatz bèl que las mire"
Direct Translation: If you want to fight? to build cities near our frontier, let them fill?* strong and beautiful in order that it is beautiful (nice) I see them.
*Probably fill in the sense of "grow". Haven't found the exact meaning for ponhar, the most probable is to make something with the fists: catch, fight…
In game text: "If you are going to trouble yourself to make cities near our border, at least make them beautiful, prosperous cities, so I may enjoy the view."

7.Defeat:
Occitan (ancient): "Se vòstra set de poder vos mena a dechazer mon regiment, que aissi siá! Qu'encara serai capdel de la cort d'amor."
Direct Translation: "If your thirst for power leads you to deprive my rule, so be it!, *That* I'll still be the head of the court of love

*That is used here to emphasize the following phrase
In game text: "If your lust for power drives you to destroy my rule, so be it. I Will still rule the court of love"

1. Generic:
Latin:
"In nomine sancte e individue trinitatis, ego, Elionoris, Dei gratia humilis Francorum regina e aquitanorum duccessa"
Direct translation: "In the name of the saint and indivisible Trinity, I, Eleanor, humble queen of the Franks and duchess of Aquitania by the grace of god"
(Generic medieval King introduction:)
In game text: ...
It's so called pep talk, a quote in her page in Civilopedia which can be heard if you click on it. The in game text is actually in Latin
"In nomine sancte et individue Trinitatis, ego Helienordis, Dei gratia humilis Francorum regina, et Aquitanorum ducissa."

Queen consort of France and England
Being queen-consort of France and England simultaneously might explain the Hundred Years' War, Eleanor of Troy. :mischief:

Being queen-consort of France and England simultaneously might explain the Hundred Years' War, Eleanor of Troy. :mischief:
It's a historical inaccuracy of sorts since she wasn't (to my knowledge) simultaneously queen-consort of France and England at any time in history; the line seems more drawn from Wikipedia's entry on Eleanor than fact. I don't know why Firaxis didn't just record two separate lines for her, as that would have been awesome.

I did some brief research on Eleanor and her link to medieval literature so I think she will be my next post in the "Civilization: Game vs. History" thread. Hopefully Sarah (Darney) will find that one enjoyable. I think she said somewhere she wrote a Civilopedia entry, so I wonder if she also wrote Eleanor's one?

6.Warning:
Occitan (ancient):
"Si voletz ponhar? de bastir ciutats près de nòstra frontièra que se farsan? fòrtas e bèlas per a que siatz bèl que las mire"
Direct Translation: If you want to fight? to build cities near our frontier, let them fill?* strong and beautiful in order that it is beautiful (nice) I see them.
*Probably fill in the sense of "grow". Haven't found the exact meaning for ponhar, the most probable is to make something with the fists: catch, fight…
In game text: "If you are going to trouble yourself to make cities near our border, at least make them beautiful, prosperous cities, so I may enjoy the view."

This is one of the sentence that I understand the less. It is like someone put a english sentence in a translation machine into french, rearranged it to make sense in french, and then litterally translated to occitan and we end up with weird result. I don't really speak occitan, but my ears are used to hear it some, and this one sound weird to me.

For example, using "belas" and "bel" 5 words apart is weird. Occitan is like french: repeating the same word shortly after said it make you look like a person with poor vocabulary, and therefore, dumb. (belas and bel are the same word, the first is masculine singular, and the last is feminine plural), but the english traduction use different worlds.

What I think show the most my theory of english → litteral french → rearranged french → try to do something occitan (or catalan) is the "3. War Human".
The original sentence is "I regret we must now go to war with each other - but I regret it only a little" have been litteraly translated into french like this "Je regrette que nous devons faire la guerre entre nous, mais je le regrette seulement un peu."
But I said repeating the same word like "regrette" so close make that sound "dumb" in french. So they probably get ride off the "je le regrette", and change the end "seulement un peu" for "mais pas tant que ça" (but not so much), because "mais seulement un peu" sound childish. And then they translated it into occitan. The first part was translated litterally, but the last part, you can't translate "ça" so they retake the "regret" (the "greu") and litterally translated it "mais pas tant de regret" → "mas non tan greu". Which sound so weird. Not natural. Mostly because "mas non tan greu" can means so many things is occitan: mas = but or more, tan = if, as, so (much)..., so "mas non tan greu" is not a thing I used to hear.

I come back to the 6. Warning. From my grandfather that used to talk it, ponhar is like "put", a word that can be place anywhere but somehow doesn't have sense here. Ponhar is like poner en spanish or poser in french. But I hear here "poniar", like "jump" or "hasty to done something"

So I hear more a sentence like that: "Se voletz poniar de bastir ciutats pres de nostra frontiera (laugh) que si farsiant fortz e belas, per al quem sia, bel que las mire"
Litterally translated : You want to quickly build cities near our border (laugh) [at least / make sure to] make them big and beautiful, for what it is*, beautiful/nice to look at them.
* :
you have to understand like "for what your cities may pretend to try to achieve"

It's a historical inaccuracy of sorts since she wasn't (to my knowledge) simultaneously queen-consort of France and England at any time in history; the line seems more drawn from Wikipedia's entry on Eleanor than fact.
Yes, I was being sarcastic; I'm not literally accusing her of bigamy. :p

I think she said somewhere she wrote a Civilopedia entry
Yeah, she mentioned writing the Ik-Kil entry because she specifically referenced her thalassophobia.

It is like someone put a english sentence in a translation machine into french, rearranged it to make sense in french, and then litterally translated to occitan and we end up with weird result.
This honestly wouldn't surprise me given some of the oddities attending some of the other non-mainstream languages they've used.

Thanks @6uho Koe for the link to these videos on snowgiga's YouTube channel. I've gone through the rest of Kupe's quotes with the help of my father, who came to visit me this past weekend. :) Might need to seek further help with a couple of these words, though.

Declare war (by human): "E tā ...! Tirohia te rangatira rā me te whakapuakitanga pakanga. Kai tawhiti koe ...! E kite ana tō nui pūwhāwhātanga."
Close translation: Mate! Look at the chief over there with the war declaration. You’re so amazing! It shows how "big but hollow" you are.
In-game translation: Look at the big civ leader with the war declaration. Great job, mate! Really shows off how hard you are.
Notes: 1) "E tā!" by itself means "mate!", "dude!" or "bro!", but Kupe says it with a tone more like "wow, really bro?!". 2) Ellipses are in places where Kupe adds sounds that IMO don't have any meaning. 3) "Big but hollow" ("nui pūwhāwhā") in the last sentence describes something being not as solid or strong as its size would suggest (i.e., don't judge a book by its cover).

Declare war (by AI): "Ko te mate tāu e kōwhiri nei. Aue ana, whakatautau ana tō iwi! Hīoi ana ngā pou o tō whare, ngāueue ana ō whenua!"
Close translation: It is death you have chosen. Your people wail and moan! The pillars of your house are shaking, and your lands are shaking (or quaking)!
In-game translation: You choose death. Your people wail and moan! The pillars of your houses shake, all your lands are shaking!
Note: In the third sentence, Kupe clearly says the singular "your house" ("tō whare") instead of the plural "your houses" ("ō whare") in the in-game translation.

Defeat: "Kāti, i tino (upaku) pakaru te iwi Māori. Ā, ko te mea nui, ka pūmau tonu o mātou mana."
Close translation: That's it, the Māori people have been utterly broken. But, the important thing is that our mana (power, influence) shall still endure.
In-game translation: I have done my utmost, but your strength was greater. My heart, at least, will beat undefeated.
Notes: 1) The in-game translation is almost completely different to what Kupe is actually saying here. 2) Kupe says something like "upaku" in the first sentence, but I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean. The sentence makes sense without it though, so the close translation is based on that. There's an expression "paku pakaru" that means "a bit broken" or more obliquely "quite broken", but even that would still be confusing in this sentence.

@Canterbury, thanks for your effort!
The only thing that you missed is pep talk, the voice over of leader's quote on Wikipedia. You can find it here, on my SoundCloud account.

Edit: I actually meant Civilopedia, not Wikipedia

Last edited:
Added Aurelesk's alternate translation of the Agenda Disapproval line (for Eleanor) and Canterbury's additional Maori lines to the main page.

You may notice there's a fourth reserved post; this is in case Firaxis decides to make a third expansion or other DLC following Gathering Storm, though I rate the chances of such additions somewhat small.

Mansa Musa defeated:
الثروة عابرة والتعلم يؤدي إلى الغرور... كل ما فعلته يا الهي فعلته باسمك
Wealth is passing and learning leads to vanity...all that I did my God, I did in your name.
warning: ماذا فعلتم ليأخذ الله منكم تلك المكافأة؟ اعودوا إلى طريق الصواب.
What have you done for God to take such a reward from you? Return to the path of correctness
War human: كفى! تسامحي منتهي هنا... يجب أن تكون بيننا حرب بدلا من سلام زائف
Enough! my tolerance is ended here...there must be war between us instead of a false peace.
War AI: تجاوزاتك عميقة مثل المحيطات يا الله ...عيني على عقاب
Thanks! What's the translation for the War AI line?

Top Bottom