Language translations for leader sayings

@Canterbury, thanks for your effort!
The only thing that you missed is pep talk, the voice over of leader's quote on Wikipedia. You can find it here, on my SoundCloud account.
I've never actually seen this in the game so far. But it's definitely a real quote from the same voice actor, so it must be in there somewhere.

Pep talk: "Muturangi! Tēnā, whakaritea tāu wheke. Ki te kore, ā, māku kē."
Close translation: Muturangi! Now, sort out your octopus. If not ... well then, I'll do it instead.
In-game translation: Muturangi, do something about your octopus, or I'll do it for you.
Notes: 1) In-game translation from Civ Wiki. 2) This quote refers to the Māori legend of Kupe and the Giant Wheke, in which Kupe battles and kills a monstrous octopus ("wheke") belonging to a tohunga (master) called Muturangi.

Last edited:
Last edited:
^ Added the links and reworded slightly. It's ready to go.

Added! I forgot to update the thread a while back when I was moving to a new home, but it should still have been done a while ago, my bad.

Not sure, if someone already mentioned it, but Hojo Tokimune's Pep talk in Japanese would be...
Pep talk: 武士は戦わんが為に生き、勝たん為戦うものなり。("bushi wa tatakawan ga tame ni iki, katan tame tatakau mono nari")

I think I've finally figured out Kupe's defeat message. If you could please replace the current one with the one below, thanks:

Defeat: "Kāti, i tino ū paku pakaru te iwi Māori. Ā, ko te mea nui, ka pūmau tonu o mātou mana."
Close translation: That's it, the Māori people have been completely and utterly broken. But the important thing is that our mana (power, influence) shall still endure.
In-game translation: I have done my utmost, but your strength was greater. My heart, at least, will beat undefeated.
Note: The in-game translation is almost completely different to what Kupe is actually saying here.

Sooooo what language will Lady Six Sky use in the game?

I'm assuming she's speaking Yucatec Maya in-game. But something more like Kiche Maya or Ch'ol Maya would be more accurate.

Qeqchi seems to be the Maya language spoken in where Dos Pilas (Lady Six Sky's home city) is in the present day. Naranjo area (the kingdom she married into) is apparently devoid of any Mayan speakers now.

Sooooo what language will Lady Six Sky use in the game?
Mopan would be most correct, but we shall see, but I wouldn't be surprised they just went with Yucatec Maya.

I have only one reserved post left at the start of this thread; I might have to ask the mods for more! I was really not expecting that Firaxis would add so many more civs to the game!

We should also check out the Civilization wiki for any more recently translated Leader dialogue. I also spotted some Cree/Mapuche transliteration on Youtube videos. Still no Nubian ones sadly, but some apparent ethnic Nubians commented that Amanitore's voice actor isn't a native Nubian speaker. And where are all the Zulu speakers on the internet? :cry:

We should also check out the Civilization wiki for any more recently translated Leader dialogue. I also spotted some Cree/Mapuche transliteration on Youtube videos. Still no Nubian ones sadly, but some apparent ethnic Nubians commented that Amanitore's voice actor isn't a native Nubian speaker. And where are all the Zulu speakers on the internet? :cry:
Can you provide links to the YouTube videos with Cree/Mapuche transliterations?

We need to send people to find Zulu on the Internet! Surely some of them will be helpful.

Can you provide links to the YouTube videos with Cree/Mapuche transliterations?

We need to send people to find Zulu on the Internet! Surely some of them will be helpful.

Someone Tweet at Trever Noah? He might be willing to help : D

I also have some irks with the Dutch translations on the frontpage. Just some minor nitpicks, but thought I'd post them here regardless.

Agenda Disapproval:
"Wie handel weigert, denkt vaak dat hij bij ons kan pakken wat hij wil. Hij heeft het flink mis"* / "Those who refuse trade often think they can take what they want from us. They're sorely mistaken." / "[He] who refuses trade, often thinks he can grab anything he wants from us. He's sorely mistaken."

Says Lord Lakely: "I'm not sure what the best translation for the word "flink" is in this context. They game went with sorely, which is correct meaning-wise. Nuance-wise, "vastly" would've been a better translation. Note that her sentences are in the third person singular instead of plural. The pronoun used in Dutch to refer to a person of an unknown gender ("men") is never used in subclauses like these. So while she does say "he", the correct translation into English is "they"."

Says Vandlys: Addendum: The word "anything" in the second translation is out of place. It is not said in Dutch. Otherwise the Dutch would be "[...] denkt vaak dat hij bij ons ALLES kan pakken wat hij wil."
The best literal translation of the word "flink" is big or strong. Where English would say he is a big lad, or a strong lad, the Dutch would use the word "flink". In this context, sorely is definitely better than 'vastly' as Lord Lakely implies. The word flink might also imply a threat here, or the promise of retaliation, therefore I think sorely is closer than vastly in this context.

Agenda Approval:
Nederland floreert met elke zending die u ons stuurt. / The Netherlands flourishes with every shipment you send to us.

Says Vandlys: Floreert is weird. It is a very literal translation, but the verb 'floreren' (that's the infinitive) would not be used often in Dutch and is a very obvious Anglicanism. 'Bloeit', the literal and contextual translation, would be much more suitable here. However, they might have chosen 'floreert' to give it more status, but I doubt it.

Defeated:
Moge Nederland, met God's hulp, op een dag zijn grondgebied terugwinnen. / May the Netherlands, with God's help, reclaim his territory one day.

Says Vandlys: "his territory" is incorrect here. It is a literal translation, so in that sense it is good, but "his" in this case relates to The Netherlands, not God, so the English version should read "their territory".

Pep talk:
Hoe donker en moeilijk deze tijden ook zijn, gelooft u aan een uiteindelijke overwinning van onze zaak. / No matter how dark and trying these times may be, believe in the ultimate victory of our cause.

Says Vandlys:
'Trying times' is a free translation that is a good collocation in English, but a better translation would be difficult times.' Furthermore, a footnote needs to be placed with the word 'ultimate'. Uiteindelijk means "in the end" and not "complete" or "best", whereas ultimate can mean all three.

@Morningcalm
some links to youtube videos with the Cree/Mapuche transliteration, note that sometimes they don't provide English translations, presumably because the meaning is basically the same as the English translation. Cree transliteration is by Trent Mills. fiestaforo provides transliteration for the Mapuche.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6YGSARdA78
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvvuG9yhayM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQ44wvajPC4 (One for Pachacuti)

I'm disappointed that no Youtuber has compiled videos for each leader's dialogue. For example, a single video with all of Shaka's voiced lines/animation. I found one Youtuber who did that for like four leaders....(they call themselves is King Jong-Un). They haven't posted new ones since. Civ6 Leader dialogue/animation videos are all over the place in Youtube.

He was from a noble family. He probably spoke whatever variant the royal court spoke in Madrid at that time.

Which makes me less interested in his dialogue....:p But at least it would be easy for Castilians to understand!

Translating Bolivar's lines should be a slam dunk for Civfanatics!

I'm disappointed nobody provided Amharic writing for Haile Selassie's dialogue back in Civ5. I expect the same for Ethiopia's leader this time. No Ethiopians play or heard of Civ, apparently.

Which makes me less interested in his dialogue....:p
But makes me more interested. Castellano is very pleasant sounding.

I'm disappointed nobody provided Amharic writing for Haile Selassie's dialogue back in Civ5. I expect the same for Ethiopia's leader this time. No Ethiopians play or heard of Civ, apparently.
If @Alexander's Hetaroi gets his wish for an Aksumite Ethiopia, we may well have a Ge'ez speaker this time.

Top Bottom