Late Game CTDs

I think the Mod has gotten too big for the CIV IV engine. I'm now experiencing the CTDs about every 5-8 turns (currently 1885AD in this game).

The crash comes up as a Blackscreen. Esc, Alt/Tab, Ctrl/alt/del none of these affect it. I have manually shutdown the comp. I've updated my vid drivers twice already, did not help. I started this game with 9AI and now have 16. Next to last crash was when a barb city became a minor. Last crash was after a save and then went to exit to desktop.

This does not bode well for version 2.3. Maybe the scope of the update from 2.2 was too much for the game to handle? Seems that way now.

On a side note: the optimization of adding the line "import cPickle as pickle" in some of the python files did help with end of turn lag, and map scrolling lag. Didn't eliminate it but reduced it significantly.

Again I think RoM2.3 is just too much for the BtS CIV IV engine/exe to handle. In talking with a friend who programs, Python, XML, and SDK can form very large operations and overwhelm ram and cpu, causing data dumps to occur.

Is there anyone with the knowledge and skills to fix it here on the boards? Or will RoM2.3 become limited to early ages play?

JosEPh (sad in RoMville) :(

Strategy Only,

I don't believe the number of Civs affect CTDS directly. I've been playing Rom for quite a while with at least 25 civs every game. I have experienced more CTS's with Rev. Barb Civ. so I have turned it off in my recent games.

If you have read the Better BTS AI thread, xanaqui42 has found a number of Division by zero possibilities with certain settings. One relating to culture, and a couple others. Not sure if these are taken care of in Better BTS AI 1.37 or not, but every crash I have seen in Rom 2.3 is a div. by zero crash.

i played the 28 civ huge map. Havent had any problems until i got to the year 2025. I won by culture victory, however, i cant seem to get past the ctd that occurs. I am not sure how to find what is causing the ctd. I want to be able to finish the game to its fullest. I have the barbarian mod turned off as well as the techdiffusion. so i am confused as to why i cant get passed my end of turn at the year Modern era 2025AD.

I think the Mod has gotten too big for the CIV IV engine. I'm now experiencing the CTDs about every 5-8 turns (currently 1885AD in this game).

The crash comes up as a Blackscreen. Esc, Alt/Tab, Ctrl/alt/del none of these affect it. I have manually shutdown the comp. I've updated my vid drivers twice already, did not help. I started this game with 9AI and now have 16. Next to last crash was when a barb city became a minor. Last crash was after a save and then went to exit to desktop.

This does not bode well for version 2.3. Maybe the scope of the update from 2.2 was too much for the game to handle? Seems that way now.

On a side note: the optimization of adding the line "import cPickle as pickle" in some of the python files did help with end of turn lag, and map scrolling lag. Didn't eliminate it but reduced it significantly.

Again I think RoM2.3 is just too much for the BtS CIV IV engine/exe to handle. In talking with a friend who programs, Python, XML, and SDK can form very large operations and overwhelm ram and cpu, causing data dumps to occur.

Is there anyone with the knowledge and skills to fix it here on the boards? Or will RoM2.3 become limited to early ages play?

JosEPh (sad in RoMville) :(

I agree, I've followed Civ 4 from it's official release to it's "expansions" and must agree the engine Civ4 utilizes isn't particularly too "modder friendly" or for that matter coded cleanly at all. It doesn't appear to have too many 3D/2D objects rendered on-screen at one time when you're fully developed yet for some reasons it lags quite a lot on later stages(I am talking about the unmodded version) even on my 3.GHZ P4 and 1.5 GB RAM and it seems to be more "dumbed down" in calculations compared to previous Civ type games, Even 2D civ games like Call To Power had more calculations per turn yet seems to perform better even with mods that expanded content over 3x modded.

I think Rise Of Mankind is the best mod by far available for this game and makes Civ 4 completely no fun without it but it may have pushed the clanky Civ 4 engine beyond it's capabilities.

@ Joseph II

I used to get similar crashes playing Bts without any mods. It was on an older win xp computer.

I tried reducing graphics settings, which helped somewhat. However the best solution I found was playing smaller maps.

I recently got a new comp w/ vista and have not had any similar crashes on standard to large maps w/ 19+ civs.

I have

HP Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q9300 @ 2.50GHz 2.50GHz

RAM memory 4.00 GB

64-bit operating system

Windows Vista SP1

I have no graphic problems or map size problems whatsoever.

My CTDs are solely cause of the mod being bugged.

Hopefully our Great Scientist Zappara will fix it in 2.4 :)

Trouble is 2.4 will be different than 2.3. As 2.3 was different than 2.0, 2.12 and final 2.0 version 2.2 was.

Each iteration of the Mod was Fun and Playable but also expanded upon. RoM 0.94 was a Fun Mod too. and when we got 1.0 it was even better. 1.03 fixed some bugs of 1.0 and completed that cycle.

Then Zappara started the 2.0 series. By this time Kalimachus had a major add-on for RoM 1.03 and then came the Official 3.17 patch, even More Changes occurred. But now with 2.3, well it's more of an Expansion pack than a Mod.

RoM 1.03 updated to the Official 3.17 patch can stand on its own in terms of playability and stability. 2.0 was the product that came from that combo, but by that time zappara was under pressure to add even more into the Mod, like Dales RevMod. Then some bugs were unearthed because of the Officail 3.17 patch and solver's UOP 0.19 had to be incorporated. But on top of that More *stuff* was added in too.

It's to the point (and zappara did address this somewhat) that the Mod needs to be in Modules. But the players need enough knowledge to combine the Modules to suit their individual play styles/tastes.

As for myself I would've preferred a clean version of RoM without the Add-ons. That probabbly why I've kept versions 1.0, 1.03. 2.0, 2.22, amd 2.3 on my comp and in my MODS folder.

As for going to vista, can't for awhile. My P IV 2.4ghz single core proccessor with 1.5 ghz of 400ddr ram and an ATI Radeon 9550 vid card with 256 ram will have to do. If it's not capable of running 2.3, then I'll revert back to playing an earlier version that it can handle. (I know that it can handle up to and including RoM2.2).

Just my 2 cents on the issue.

JosEPh :)

It's to the point (and zappara did address this somewhat) that the Mod needs to be in Modules. But the players need enough knowledge to combine the Modules to suit their individual play styles/tastes.

As for myself I would've preferred a clean version of RoM without the Add-ons. That probabbly why I've kept versions 1.0, 1.03. 2.0, 2.22, amd 2.3 on my comp and in my MODS folder.
I think I got few choices to make regarding v2.4:

1) Find and fix the bugs that cause those ctds

2) If I can't make point 1 happen, then take out RevDCM and make it add-on again (basically I would have to make v2.2->v2.4)

3) or take out RevDCM and convert RoM to WoC standard so that it will be much easier to make new modules for RoM. This would be huge task so I'm not saying this will happen (though I've been asked few times to make it happen ;)). Why I'm liking this idea more now is that Conqueror's Delight mod's functions will be included at some point to World of Civilization and that would give huge range of new modifiers to just about everything and it would allow me to do certain things that haven't been possible in the current RoM versions. DCM is already included in WoC so we'd be missing just Revolution/Influence Driven War mod components.

Whatever choice I'll make, my goal is to make the mod as stable as I can - I want to enjoy late game as much as you all would. :)

I think I have found a partial fix.

My oldest son asked what vid card I had and how much ram, ATI Radeon 9550 with 256mb ram. He's had some certifications for computers. He had seen how laggy/choppy moving around the game map was, or scrolling done the build list.

Long story shortened, he checked my Bios settings and found that my Chipset settings under AGP Aperture was only set to 64mb! My vid card has 256mb, so he reset it to AGP Aperture of 256mb and now I can scroll the Main map with virtually no lag and the build list scrolls smoothly too.

He also found my youngest son had the same problem. He had not been able to play RoM2.3 at all because his Comp started lagging as soon as he got past the ancient era. He has the same vid card as I do. His AGP Aperture was at 64, it's now upped to 256 to match his vid cards ram. And he's playing RoM again.

I really think for older comps like mine the players need to check their BIOS for similar AGP aperture settings. They should match the setting with the amount of Vid card ram.

Hope this helps some of you out there.

Edit: Played 6 turns after the BIOS update and No CTD and no lag! Before I had to save every other turn or I would CTD. Yeah! :D

I think I have found a partial fix.

My oldest son asked what vid card I had and how much ram, ATI Radeon 9550 with 256mb ram. He's had some certifications for computers. He had seen how laggy/choppy moving around the game map was, or scrolling done the build list.

Long story shortened, he checked my Bios settings and found that my Chipset settings under AGP Aperture was only set to 64mb! My vid card has 256mb, so he reset it to AGP Aperture of 256mb and now I can scroll the Main map with virtually no lag and the build list scrolls smoothly too.

He also found my youngest son had the same problem. He had not been able to play RoM2.3 at all because his Comp started lagging as soon as he got past the ancient era. He has the same vid card as I do. His AGP Aperture was at 64, it's now upped to 256 to match his vid cards ram. And he's playing RoM again.

I really think for older comps like mine the players need to check their BIOS for similar AGP aperture settings. They should match the setting with the amount of Vid card ram.

Hope this helps some of you out there.

Edit: Played 6 turns after the BIOS update and No CTD and no lag! Before I had to save every other turn or I would CTD. Yeah! :D

Hey you just got me thinking , so I went to reboot and entered bios and realized my video card aperture size was also set to 64 MB! And my card has 128mb! Thanks much for the inspiration...now off to the dungeon with me for a good round or two of fish slapping.

cr0ws,
Did it help?

It definitely has for my son and me.

JosEPh

Well...I haven't gotten too far in the game yet ... but so far I've not had problems with choppy scrolling or a CTD.

w00t, got to Future Tech 13 and got a reoccurring CtD. 1698 AD on Snail pace on Monarch ><
Crazy stuff ~~

Whoa, the database reset my profile O.o Oh well

Hello guys,

i was playing as Gandhi, and the game was great. But, CTD at 1961! I'm attaching the savefile, i heard that it can be corrected as a paliative in WorldBuilder. Can any of you guys do this for me? I wanna get to the finish of this marvelous mod (more like an expansion)!

Thx,

Konrad

"His AGP Aperture was at 64, it's now upped to 256 to match his vid cards ram. And he's playing RoM again."

This a great fix, but a word of caution, setting it ABOVE your actual ram (in the graphics card) could damage your graphics card. I suppose that is kinda obvious, but you never know.

Top Bottom