1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Late Game CTDs

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Rise of Mankind' started by alireza1354, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Kroyon

Kroyon Chieftain

Hehe sorry it sounded a bit harsh, but really other than victory conditions what else are you looking to customize?

2. E_Pluribus_Unum

E_Pluribus_Unum Warlord

I never get CTD after playing many games on v2.0. Games were played on standard to huge maps generated by PerfectWorld with 12 to 20 civs.

Now planning updating to v2.3. Hope does not get CTDs.

By the way it's great mod :goodjob:

3. Nemesys

Nemesys Chieftain

thanks everyone for posting,
    it looks like we all are a little bit confused about what to do and what to look after, looks like everyone is going its own way to try to have a solution for this. fair enough, the more we are the sooner the fix ;).
    I understand the Play Now! option may be safer than Custom game, personally i shouldn't have troubles in launching a game with play now and then modify the settings in config.ini, the only reason why a chose custom game is that i usually want to play against certain civilizations and not others (i generally want england, france, russia, japan, germany, china and india as opponents) but if i go Play Now! it won't allow me to chose who to play against. I also prefer having Aggressive AI, Permanent Alliances and City flipping after conquest options on.

So now i am trying this: to launch a game in custom game, with everything on except Barbarian Civ mod, someone else here wrote that he managed to survive the late game CTD using this way, so I'm trying to do the same.

Should this fail as well, i'll switch to play now option next time.

@E pluribus Unum
    you said you never had late game CTDs?? even if playing with revolution, BarbCiv exc active? Man you are a lucky one:):) tell us a little bit more about your game settings, it may eb helpful

Cheers
    Nem

4. cr0ws

cr0ws Prince

I just played it..nothing special..gets boring after a couple of hours of play, Rise Of Mankind is lots more fun :p

5. [to_xp]Gekko

[to_xp]Gekko QCT junkie

no problem, mate. thanx for the clarification about play now! , I'll have to check my .ini file one of these days I guess :D

edit: now that I think of it, it makes perfect sense actually. I wasn't on my pc, I was on my gf's pc on which I just had installed civ4 + BTS + FFH2. which means that play now! was working exactly like it should, cuz that .ini file must have been blank. now I see it :D

6. Starlash2350

Starlash2350 Chieftain

I have finally been able to play through several late games, even with customizing. You just need to select no barbarians. Must be some kind of conflict or bug involvig barbs in the modern and/or future eras. Awesome.:D

7. crossclayton

crossclayton Warlord

When i come to a ctd that i cant get passed, i go into world builder and save the map as a new scenario. i take not of who hates and likes who and then i start a new game and load the scenario. Then i change every1's diplomatic stance bak to the way they were before (approx.) and then i can continue to play until it happens all over again. Only problem is it resets all the build queues.

8. alireza1354

alireza1354 Emperor

Light at the end of the tunnel??

9. Jabarto

Jabarto Emperor

It seems to be. I made it well into the 1900's (at which point I got a culture victory) with no CTD's on my last game with no barbs.

10. alireza1354

alireza1354 Emperor

But arent barbs an essential part of the revolution mod which got to be integrated in the last version of ROM? Hm... Its nice to play ROM vanilla, but ... I really like the revmod too. So... its a temporary solution I guess. At least we know now, its a problem which has something to do with the barbs. We know where to look! I think...

I think Zappara can need some help from experienced and good modders here... He cant do it all by himself, I mean, he is human too.

11. Heroism

Heroism Chieftain

So we have to disable barbarians for no ctd ? :(

12. E_Pluribus_Unum

E_Pluribus_Unum Warlord

I play with RoM 2.0 without extra stuffs. It doesn't contain Revolution, Influence Driven War, Dales Combat, etc. mods.

All victory conditions enabled except the time victory.
    Barbs were always enabled.

Earlier mentioned, that game/graphic settings may be the cause of CTDs.

My game/graphic settings :

13. Nemesys

Nemesys Chieftain

integration: do we have to deselect Barbarian Civ mod or only select "no barbarians" from option menu? or both? Please specify!

Anyway, yes, light at the end of tunnel:lol::lol:

14. Nemesys

Nemesys Chieftain

@zappara

since we now know what the problem is about, would you mind looking after barbarians for a while? that would end up months of fightings against the bug!

please!

All the best,
    Nem

(proudly supporting Vodafone Mclaren Mercedes efforts in the chase for the 2008 FIA Formula One World Championship!!!!)

15. Jabarto

Jabarto Emperor

I selected 'No Barbs' and deselected 'Barbarian Civ'. I also ran on normal game speed (instead of my usual epic) but I doubt that matters.

16. Nemesys

Nemesys Chieftain

Tx mate!
    I asked this because I started my last game with barbarians on but disabled Barbarian Civ mod....while it would not be a great loss not to have Barbarian civs mod (at least for me) it would be sad not to have those cute, annoying barbarians around at all:):):)

Anyway i'll report if RoM crashes with these settings, it may be helpful

tx again
    Nem

17. supermatt

supermatt Chieftain

Hi guys,

thanks for all the work. I was busy for some days, downloaded 2.3 and now tried to turn off Barb Civ. But I fust cant find the tag in the xml files.
    Could you just please tell me wehre to find it. When its in the altdefines I must be very blind.
    In that altdefines I found most components of Revolution, but not Barb Civ. Is there any place where I could turn off revolution for good?
    Thanks

18. Bastian-Bux

Bastian-Bux King

Start a custom game or scenario and scroll down. There is a button: raging barbarians and one reading no barbarians. No need for xml changes. ^^

19. Nemesys

Nemesys Chieftain

Some light at the end of tunnel;

i'm playing a custom game (as Japan) with no Barbarian Civ (but with barbarians on), and I made it until 1942, so far with no CTD. I will keep my fingers crossed as I hope I did not celebrate too early, but I never made it this far with RoM. I'll let you know if I will successfully get to the end of the game.

Cheers
    nem

20. zappara

zappara Mod Designer

Yeah, I'll look into barbarians and try to persuade them to work with me.. but you know how stubborn and ruthless they are and they try to deceive me whenever they can when I try to crush them bugs ;)

I think there has been several causes for CTDs:

1) art file problems (these should be all fixed in v2.3)
    2) unit animation problems (few might be left)
    3) MAFs (can't really do anything to these)
    4) Barbarians (conflict between RoM settings and RevDCM addon somewhere in code)
    5) some other that I can't now think of...

It's just a matter of time to find all the bugs and fix them. The Barbarian code bug is most difficult for me to fix since my programming skills are near zero and looking the python code doesn't make me any wiser (but I keep trying to learn :)). Any help from python gurus is appreciated to locate and fix the possible bugs.