• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Latin Translation

What would Julius Caesar say?

• unum plus iteratio

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • plus unum et iteratione

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hey babe, how do you say "one more turn" in Latin?

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • I'll be right there.

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

Mayor of H-Marker Lake
I'm just trying to translate "One more turn" into proper Latin, but there are literally a billion rules. No wonder Rome fell.

I'm just trying to translate "One more turn" into proper Latin, but there are literally a billion rules. No wonder Rome fell.

As far as Rome was concerned it was always their turn, so they had no need for this phrase. :p

Every language has "literally a billion rules".

What would Julius Caesar have said to Cleopatra if he was in a really close race with Carthage to finish Colossus and she was bugging him to come to bed?

Spoiler :
I'm just trying to find a proper Latin translation for "one more turn" but Latin is really complicated, there are literally a billion rules. No wonder Rome fell?

Again: every language has "literally a billion rules"

Alius versus.

Til Flying Pig tells you something better .

Maybe the people at this site can help you.

It's an interesting site that offers help to people seeking Latin translations, people studying Latin, people interested in Roman history, etc.

Unum plus iteratio? Why not simply Unum plus vicis? You're playing a game, not making a pilgrimage to Rome after all. (Oh, and educated Romans spoke Greek, so there.) :)

Or unum plus move, because that's what you'll be doing with one more turn. :)

Hey! I post on that site Valka D'Ur just mentioned.

As for the translation, why not just kill it with the adverb iterum? You just say iterum and that's it. Short and simple.

Hey! I post on that site Valka D'Ur just mentioned.

As for the translation, why not just kill it with the adverb iterum? You just say iterum and that's it. Short and simple.

Because it is too short and oversimplified. "One more turn" is also, but it carries the essence of "one more round of turns" or "one more my turn", which is the actual meaning. The difficulty of translating it into Latin, I suspect, is getting that nuance across.

Mmmmm... In that case I've redone the phrase a little bit to make it easier to translate and I've left it like this:

Ludam iterum aliam vicem

Its literal translation is "I shall play yet another turn."

If you like it you can already use this translation (check for any errors with other latinists first). If not, go to the webpage suggested by Valka D'Ur, there're lots of very competent latinists posting there on a daily basis. They will surely be able to help you.

Mmmmm... In that case I've redone the phrase a little bit to make it easier to translate and I've left it like this:

Ludam iterum aliam vicem

Its literal translation is "I shall play yet another turn."

If you like it you can already use this translation. If not, go to the webpage suggested by Valka D'Ur, there're lots of very competent latinists posting there on a daily basis. They will surely be able to help you.

It's not my call, but if it were I'd go with that. :goodjob:

Close but it doesn't convey the dramatic tension between the desires to act responsibly and fruitfully in the real world and the obsessive game immersion.

Close but it doesn't convey the dramatic tension between the desires to act responsibly and fruitfully in the real world and the obsessive game immersion.

Hmmmm...I never noticed that dramatic tension.

Of course I have no observable desire to act responsibly and fruitfully in the real world.

My problems with one more turn syndrome revolve more around going to bed without dozing off and hitting my head on the keyboard first.

How about if we use the sentence another... turn... please! as a reference instead?

In that case it should be alia... vicis... quaeso!

Top Bottom