1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Leader appearance by affinity

Discussion in 'CivBE - General Discussions' started by Metecury, Sep 28, 2014.

1. SupremacyKing

SupremacyKing Prince

Barre definitely went all out with Supremacy. Yes, it is a little surprising that some of the other leaders don't seem to change a lot when they reach higher affinity levels. The in-game explanation could be that each leader has their own personal style when it comes to how they express their affinities. So perhaps, Elodie just does not believe in being as flamboyant in her affinity appearance. The real world explanation could be that the artists at Firaxis wanted each leader's affinity appearance to be unique. It would be boring if every leader of the same affinity looked exactly the same. Plus, the bigger the art changes they make to the leaders, the more time and effort is required, so making some leaders look the same is a good time and resource saver.

2. edingess

edingess Warlord

Yeah Barre seems very Col. Barnes-ish.

As for Alien elements, I agree. I at least expected green/blueish skin tones.

3. Cyon

Cyon Cosmonaut

Techno Barre rocks! And purity Daoming looks really good as well, the rest not so much :(

4. edingess

edingess Warlord

Daoming does have a sort of "Mulan" look, no?

5. winddysphere

winddysphere Warlord

I think they want to make extremely minor change to leader so it will not make too mutant look. Still...just minor things like eye color and a tool are really bad idea.

I also fear that...the first 4 leaders that announce first will be their prettiest leaders. They have concept ideas to do first so they have more time for the first four more than the last 4. Anyway I wish to hear the dev's idea for Harmony leaders. Gort is right. The leader seems to maintain....human. They are merely purity with difference cloth and eye color. Also a tool on their heads.

6. Veras

Veras Prince

One thing that I would like to see on Supremacy is a transformation in the voice to something more mechanical. It is a very simple change to apply, actually. Firaxis could just edit the leader's voices without the need to change the original dubbing.

7. EddieTheLion

EddieTheLion Chieftain

I would be rather strange if they had advanced cybernetics, nanomachinery and even mind uploading but still could not synthesize a "normal" sounding voice.

Also they seem to have kept much of their original bodies. I don't see any particular reason for them to replace their vocal cords with apparently inferior ones.

8. Veras

Veras Prince

Well, and why would they keep a normal voice? They do not care looking normal, then why sound normal? Normality is for those Purity loyalists. If Supremacists have the capacity to enhance their voices (for example, make it louder, clearer), then they should do it.

9. Karl0413

Karl0413 Prince

It could be they are going for a hard sci-fi approach here. Remember this?

Remember, genes are NOT blueprints. This means you can't, for example, insert "the genes for an elephant's trunk" into a giraffe and get a giraffe with a trunk. There are no genes for trunks. What you CAN do with genes is chemistry, since DNA codes for chemicals. For instance, we can in theory splice the native plants' talent for nitrogen fixation into a terran plant.

— Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Nonlinear Genetics"

In this case Harmony gene-splicing would pretty much be adapting Humanity for the environment by being able to step outside and breath the air without dying or eating the native food without getting a serious case of the runs that causes people to drop fifty pounds overnight. The most you would see in this case is minor cosmetic changes on the person's skin and hair. Subtle and realistic, I like it.

10. GenyaArikado

GenyaArikado Judge of Love

Rule of cool and they could be loke SMAX aliens (not literally that explanation but yeah)

Besides they all seem to have robo necks.

11. Karl0413

Karl0413 Prince

Oh, yes wouldn't that be cool? New Supremacy Diplomacy:

Greetings Meat-bags, allow me to sing you the song of my people.

Link to video.

:lol: Granted, it would make getting them to send you a few truckloads of Firaxite difficult and maybe you don't want them to think of you as abnormal when their LEV-Destroyer is lining up a firing solution on your capital but hey small price to pay for a being an awesome cyborg!

12. Ryoga

Ryoga King

Well that sounds like fun, they can send you insults in dial up tones at 56kips (56 thousand insults per second)

13. EddieTheLion

EddieTheLion Chieftain

True, normal was the wrong word which was why it was in quotes. But louder clearer voices is not the same thing as cheesy "machine voice" that's bad at expressing stuff. Also if anything I would expect them to have something that let them make a much wider range of voices and sounds than normal if they were going to enhance their voice.
    Really though I would expect supremacists to communicate amongst themselves with cyber-telepathy half the time anyways.

14. ajrhug

ajrhug Chieftain

do you think modded sponsors can also have affinity-level affinities?

15. GenyaArikado

I assume yes, if the modder makes them.

16. Eisenhart

Eisenhart Warlord

What I wish is that they would have a couple of contests for a user submitted faction leader that will be officially patched for everyone.

I mean, yeah, there are 8 major sponsors, but per lore (mostly from what I see a couple of articles re Suzanne), a lot of private expeditions were funded as well.

It wouldn't be out of bounds, IMO, if they allow for several user-submitted cum official factions.

17. GenyaArikado

ikr? I was expecting something like this (with...well...an actual torso)

18. Yama951

Yama951 Chieftain

Well, Elodie is a cultural aristocrat. Perhaps her style of being a robot/cyborg means she'll have to be aesthetically pleasing to people.

19. Obbu

Obbu Chieftain

He's referring to a quote from a dev that full supremacy Elodie is very creepy.

20. Mustakrakish

Mustakrakish In 'Node' We Trust

I'm so underwhelmed by the new leaders. One thing I really like, is no background.