[LP] Leader Pass Pack 6: Rulers of England (Mar. 2023) - Patch Notes Discussion

That's not the asset bug; it's just a regular bug as far as I can tell. Annoying, but at least we can get around it by just closing the game and reloading.

Yes, it can be done for a specific Great Person. In fact, that's how Victoria's ability is set up; it checks for each individual Great Admiral that meets the criteria of being from the base game and being Renaissance or earlier.

I think calling out a specific Great Person is just too "on the nose" for an ability...maybe that's why they went about it this way? I don't know.

I agree it's just a strange way of doing the ability. It's going to frustrate players and lead to a lot of bug reports.

And to be quite frank, the ability text IS outright misleading. It specifies "from the Standard Ruleset" right? But "Ruleset" explicitly refers to the expansions, and the ability is in fact locked to Great Admirals from base game. But for example, Hanno is excluded, even though he is from the Babylon Pack, which works with the Standard Ruleset.

That "standard ruleset" clause of the ability implies that Hanno should work. But clearly their real meaning was "Great Admirals not added by any DLC."

---

I hate to be the kind of person who pushes their glasses up their nose and says 'Well actually..." but I think it would've been a better ability if they just grant you the +2 Trade Routes for ANY Great Admiral, as you suggested, or even buffed it by making +1 Trade Route per EACH Great Admiral you get.
+1 trade route per great admiral would be absurdly strong. Though we are in the era of Yawngle… so maybe… ok I’m on board.

Though even two free ones early doors is pretty powerful imo, just because earlyish bonuses are so much impactful.

Agree it should just be the first great admiral though, 100%

This is the exact problem. Thank you for clarifying this. My first admiral came from DLC. I have no idea why they made it so complicated with the "standard ruleset" clause, but I guess it makes sense given they want her to be compatible with the vanilla base game.
Indeed, this has been probably done to make the ruleset .xml don’t clash with vanilla players.

However, in other DLC I think I have seen rules modified by expansion-specific .xml that came inside the DLC bundle. Maybe I’m wrong on this? Maybe this specific rule was not possible to modify this way? Or maybe they considered it was a hussle to look for all GAD codenames?

I’ll have to run some tests, or maybe someone with more modding expertise might answer sooner…

ndeed, this has been probably done to make the ruleset .xml don’t clash with vanilla players.

However, in other DLC I think I have seen rules modified by expansion-specific .xml that came inside the DLC bundle. Maybe I’m wrong on this? Maybe this specific rule was not possible to modify this way? Or maybe they considered it was a hussle to look for all GAD codenames?

I’ll have to run some tests, or maybe someone with more modding expertise might answer sooner…
It would have been trivial for them to add support for DLC Great Admirals. That’s why I think it was for some purposeful flavor thing.

And yes, it would also be trivial for a modder to change this.

It would have been trivial for them to add support for DLC Great Admirals. That’s why I think it was for some purposeful flavor thing.
Actually it wasn't... There seems to be a bug in the engine that really prevents non-base-game admirals to be used as arguments for a requirement.
Anyway. I created a fix for that using a Lua script.
CivFanatics: https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/real-fixes-elizabeth.30635/
Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2955407114

Last edited:
Actually it wasn't... There seems a bug in the engine that really prevents non-base-game admirals to be used as arguments for a requirement.
Anyway. I created a fix for that using a Lua script.
CivFanatics: https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/real-fixes-elizabeth.30635/
Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2955407114
Huh, I just tried it and got an abrupt crash to desktop! Very strange! You never know how and where bugs will pop up.

Well at any rate, it's still doable with existing modifiers. Not to bore everyone with technical details, but they could've just reversed the approach and attached a modifier to the Great Admirals themselves, with the requirement that the player is Elizabeth.

Regarding Elizabeth's "renaissance or earlier" condition, I bet they wanted another reward after renaissance era then abruptly changed their minds. For example,

+2 Trade routes for the first Great Admiral from renaissance or earlier.
+4 Trade routes for the first Great Admiral from industrial or later.

@Brixter My hypothesis after creating like 5 or 6 versions of the fix.
They wanted simple „2 TRs for 1st admiral”. Even the description says so if you omit stuff in brackets.
The easiest way is to use GP class. There is a requirement that checks that. But you cannot use it with player object - there is a proper warning even. So, they had to code each one individually. And ooops. Non-base-game crash the game. Yeah, they do. So… lets do only standard rules. Ooops again. You cannot have more than 9 requirements apparently. I added industrial ones and they also dont work. And notice that in the entire game there are no requirements that have more than 9 subrequirements.
So you end up with 9 specific GAs. And hence weird limitation to standard ruleset and before industrial era.

@Brixter My hypothesis after creating like 5 or 6 versions of the fix.
They wanted simple „2 TRs for 1st admiral”. Even the description says so if you omit stuff in brackets.
The easiest way is to use GP class. There is a requirement that checks that. But you cannot use it with player object - there is a proper warning even. So, they had to code each one individually. And ooops. Non-base-game crash the game. Yeah, they do. So… lets do only standard rules. Ooops again. You cannot have more than 9 requirements apparently. I added industrial ones and they also dont work. And notice that in the entire game there are no requirements that have more than 9 subrequirements.
So you end up with 9 specific GAs. And hence weird limitation to standard ruleset and before industrial era.
So I assume they faced these exact issues one by one like you did.

At that point they could as well just have scrapped the idea and done something different...

So I assume they faced these exact issues one by one like you did.

At that point they could as well just have scrapped the idea and done something different...
+1 Trade Route capacity for every naval raider unit you build for the first time? (Sea Dog, Submarine and Nuclear Submarine)

Last edited:
+1 Trade Route capacity for every naval raider unit you build for the first time? (Sea Dog, Submarine and Nuclear Submarine)

I think that comes a bit late. I'd say maybe +1 for each naval unit type for the first time (melee, ranged, raider). Maybe that's too early, though...

I'm liking the new Norway especially with secret societies for super early governor titles. Meet a civ for first envoy and use any governor title you've gained from the meet, a hut, or wonder to suz with Amani and for 40-60 gold you get 4-6 warriors sometimes by turn 7-8 to explore, clear barbs for culture/science/faith bonuses, or harass another civ. You can skip God King since just fighting barbs with your levied troops will get you a pretty fast pantheon generally. It's quite possible to get PP in the ancient era and ironically what can really work well is a barb swarm that you send all your levied troops against for tons of kills. 10 faith/culture/science for every barb warrior, 12 for spearmen, and 5 for slingers/scouts adds up fast.

That ability plus the Norway's under rated religion game can really set you up very well. Stave churches mean woods give 1.5 adjacency for every woods next to a holy site and if you happen to be near tundra for that pantheon you can have potentially +30 holy sites from a holy site surrounded by 6 tundra woods tiles with the policy card. Obviously this calls for Work Ethic.

Steam Victoria is working pretty well if you want to go crazy in production. Knock yourself out with her.
Indeed, I played as her a couple of time. Having +2 Production on Strategic Resources is quite nice. The main strength of it is that we do not need to improve the resources to enjoy the bonus. It feels quite similar to the Lady of the Reeds and Marshes pantheon: almost overpowered when everything align but not reliable on every games due to randomness.

In a sense, I am quite frustrated with Steam Victoria: it feels quite supererogatory to England's Workshop of the World ability. Somehow, I was expecting some bittersweet ability close to the Heartbeat of Steam dedication. Something like: Industrial Zones provide Science equal to their adjacency bonus. When completing a building in a City with an Industrial Zone, receive Science equal to 15% of the Production cost. -20% Food and -2 Amenities in cities with an Industrial Zone.

The malus is both for balance/flavor and to somewhat emulate what happened to European countries during Industrialization: Demographic Transition.They happened roughly at the same time (well except for France). Industrialization also had its problems (pollution, valuation of profit over life and wellbeing....) which the Amenity malus emulate.

In the end, we would have a leader for each victory path, a Cultural one with Eleanor, a Domination with Empire Victoria, a Gold/Diplomatic one with Elizabeth I, and a Science one with Steam Victoria.

To be fair, the English civilization in the game is quite frustrating to me. All the bonuses are all over the places, and I would have loved them to be concentrated on one area only. Like the stockpile on the RNDY instead of the Workshop of the World ability. Heck, I would even redo the civilization to something like that:

Spoiler :

Workshop of the World
All Mines built on a tile with a Strategic Resource provide +2 Production and accumulate 2 more resources per turn. +20% Production towards Industrial Zone building: they each provide +10% Production in that city. Builders can spend a charge to complete 20% of a non-specialty district Production (Spaceport excluded), and are able to build Railroad and Mountain Tunnel once unlocked.

Sea Dog
English unique Renaissance era naval unit that replaces the Privateer. Has a chance to capture defeated enemy ships. Can only be seen by other Naval Raiders unless adjacent to it. Reveals Naval Raiders within sight range.

Royal Navy Dockyard
English unique district that replaces the Harbor. It is 50% cheaper to build, and removes the Movement penalty for embarking and disembarking.
+2 Gold bonus for each adjacent Canal and Industrial Zone.
+1 Gold bonus for adjacent Luxury and Strategic ressources.
+10 Strategic Resources Stockpiles for each building.
Must be built on Coast or Lake tile adjacent to land, and without a Reef feature.

Pax Britannica - Victoria (Age of Empire)
+1 Movement to all Naval and embarked units. Each Royal Navy Dockyard built grants you a copy of the strongest naval unit you can build free of Strategic Maintenance cost. +4 Loyalty to Cities on foreign continent either on Coast or with a Royal Navy Dockyard. Gain the Redcoat unique unit when the Military Science technology is researched.

Age of Steam - Victoria (Age of Steam)
Industrial Zones provide Science equal to their adjacency bonus. When completing a building in a City with an Industrial Zone, receive Science equal to 15% of the Production cost. -20% Food and -2 Amenities in cities with an Industrial Zone.

In summary:
- Workshop of the World has been changed and, overall, improved. Builders inherit most of Military Engineers for smoother gameplay. The additional yields from Power have been removed. It is compensated by the additional +10% to +30% Production from IZ buildings. All abilities about Strategic Resources have been fused here. It is both better (Niter, Aluminium and Uranium accumulate faster) and worse (Strategics need to be improved, and no longer work on Horses and Oil).
- The RNDY now feels unique. It synergies better with Workshop of the World. It trades the Major adjacency from City-Center to IZ and Canals. It also trades the Standard adjacency from sea Bonus resources to all Luxuries and Strategics, both land and sea ones. It inherit the Strategic Stockpiles from Workshop of the World, but lost its bonus Movement (unpractical) and additional yield on foreign continent (given to Victoria Age of Empire). It lost the "Harbor/CH/CC triangle" but still can manage it with IZ and Canal. Plus: that new triangle doesn't need us to be on Coast anymore.
- Victoria Age of Empire lost her Trade capacity and free Melee. But her Naval units are now Strategic maintenance free and enjoys the +1 Movement to all units unconditionally, including Builders and Redcoats.
- Victoria Age of Steam is now Science focused, with a "big bonus with malus" type of gameplay.

In a sense, I am quite frustrated with Steam Victoria: it feels quite supererogatory to England's Workshop of the World ability. Somehow, I was expecting some bittersweet ability close to the Heartbeat of Steam dedication. Something like: Industrial Zones provide Science equal to their adjacency bonus. When completing a building in a City with an Industrial Zone, receive Science equal to 15% of the Production cost. -20% Food and -2 Amenities in cities with an Industrial Zone.
Yeah, changing her production bonuses to science feels better to me as well. Right now, she's just "lets put a lot of production on top of more production, that we were already doing in the first place": At least adding in science bonuses conveys the "Age of Steam" message about discovering this new technology.
In the end, we would have a leader for each victory path, a Cultural one with Eleanor, a Domination with Empire Victoria, a Gold/Diplomatic one with Elizabeth I, and a Science one with Steam Victoria.
Now where's Mary for the religious leader? :mischief:

I've been a fan of God of Craftsmen as a pantheon since I find it to be quite reliable on the whole. Yeah, sometimes you have to pick it before you see the map, but like, every continent always has strategic resources, whereas not every continent will have plantations, for example. And yes, the downside is that they need to be improved, which is why Steampunk Vicky gets an edge there.

I'm working through a game with her, and yeah production is really off the charts. I'm lucky that I have a lot of industrial CS in the save, but basically I just hit the industrial era, and my top 3-4 cities can basically like 5-turn a wonder. If you have Brussels and the policy card in, along with all 3 industrial zone buildings, you're getting +60% production to wonders, along with all the other bonuses. It's basically to the point where it's too hard to not build all the wonders, because they're just so cheap. Like how am I turning down a 4 turn Taj Mahal?

Now where's Mary for the religious leader? :mischief:
Oh yeah, I can't wait to see "Nobody expect the Spanish English Inquisition!" queen:
Each time an Inquisitor removes Heresy in a city, the Religious Pressure is doubled, is spread to all cities within 10 tiles, but that city loses 1 Population. A City that drops to 0 Population because of this ability is automatically razed. +1 Loyalty for each follower of your Religion in your Cities but -2 Loyalty for each follower of foreign Religion in your Cities. +1 Amenity to your Cities following your Religion, but -2 Amenity to your Cities following foreign Religion.

More seriously, I wonder how an Industrious Naval civilization as England could translate into a Religious civilization thanks to a simple leader. Apart from copying Byzantium and doing some "spread from naval warfare" or some very potent religious pressure from trade/production (+2 pressure from Trade Route?, 50% of the building Production cost as religious pressure in 6 tiles radius?, other?). I don't really know.

N
Screenshot_20230407-103026_Facebook.jpg

I took this screenshot from the history video of Harald. I wonder where this barbarian/viking is from? From some Civ 6 cinematic trailer?
Firaxis employer in a costume?

NView attachment 659278
I took this screenshot from the history video of Harald. I wonder where this barbarian/viking is from? From some Civ 6 cinematic trailer?
Firaxis employer in a costume?
No idea. Definitely outside material.

Edit: changed my response after doing a quick reverse image search on this. It's stock footage/a stock image for something along the lines of "creepy undead northern/Norse warrior"

Last edited:
Top Bottom