Since Qin the Uniter that gave +1 Spread and the Convert Barbarian promotion from Apostle to Melee units, I would have thought they could give the +1 Charge and Shah Jahān ability to a specific set of unit. I was wrong. Too bad.

I believe most people envision an ability about building wonders and bankruptcy, something like that:
Cities with a district receive +2 Culture, +2 Loyalty, and +2 Amenity. Those yields are tripled if the city has a Wonder. All Heavy Cavalry units gain access to a unique Retire action, which grants Production towards wonder construction, capped at half your current treasury, then reduces your Gold twice the amount of purchased Production. -30% Gold in all Cities.

I wonder how far I am, and at the same time, how goodly or badly surprised I would be when I will know his ability.

Little anecdote: I had Shah Jahān and the Mausoleum. I use one of his charges, then move him to the next wonder. But I couldn't activate his last charge: the button have been lost! The reason is that Mausoleum made a permanent dive to cool itself from Global Warming, removing all Great Engineer from their +1 additional charge. So I had Shah Jahān with 0 charge, yet still alive. I guess his destiny was to be recycled as an anti-Rock Bands prevention guard.
We already know it thanks to the livestream:
Swan King: Wonders, even unfinished, receive a +2 Culture bonus from each adjacent District. All Culture adjacency bonuses provide Tourism after researching Castles.
I would have liked rushing wonders with gold too, but this is also good.

Last edited:
We already know it thanks to the livestream:
I missed that. I just watch the First Look now, yet didn't have notification for the livestream... The ability are more creative than I thought.

To be fair, I like this ability better: more flavorful. It is a solid ability, even better if City-Center or districts like Aqueduct count too. Gaining a free +2 Culture (a Monument) just by putting a Great Bath / Etemenanki next to your City-Center on a floodplains start, or having that Hanging Gardens unfinished hanging around thanks to a River start is nothing to laugh about.

Having Castles being the Flight for those additional Culture quite early is quite good too, as it add it on top of the Tourism of completed wonder. It also synergies well with Germany that have additional district slots. I wonder if his agenda will make him insufferable due to his additional district slot or instead always friendly thanks to additional district slot. Does he do a comparison between value the percentage of possible district constructed per city, or instead the average district per city? How is coded his reverse-Aminatore agenda?

Ludwig II seems to be better than Barbarossa and his additional Military slot and +7 CS against City-State.

The state flag colours of Bavaria are blue and white. The defined shade of Blue in the Bavarian flag is ridiculously close to the pre-defined colour "XP Blue" in the XML files. I don't know if Firaxis are reading this, but it would look terrific to use that combo for Ludwig, and provide a nice contrast to the more dour, militaristic Fred. Mockup below, using quick map and the firetuner to spam some cities.

View attachment 656621
Mmmm...bacon. 😋

After playing him sometime, I think he might be my new favorite leader from the Leader's Pass. I've never spammed so many wonders before. :D

You know, I thought they would've brought back Frederick from civ 1 but Ludwig is better since its new.

Top Bottom