1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Leader suggestions for the 3 "missing" trait combos

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Frostyboy, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Bjorn190

Bjorn190 Chieftain

I have an Idea:

I dont know what historical civ or leader it should be but how about this..

Traits: IND/PHI
    UU: Marksman (replaces longbow, str 5, starts with drill 4)
    UB: Repository (replaces forge, 1 free scientist, -2 health)

2. Evie

Evie Pronounced like Eevee

Interesting idea, GoodSarmatian, regarding Lincoln as Phi/Ind ; though of course the idea of a non-charismatic Lincoln won't fly very well with many.

If Philosophical/Charismatic were to become available, I would definitely suggest looking at one of the true leaders of the Meiji restoration, most likely Okubo (who has been called the Japanese Bismarck).

3. Virulent

Virulent Chieftain

I think Suleiman should have gotten Org/Pro instead of the Phi/Imp combo he was given.

Org due the fact that org has cheap Courthouses and Suleiman was a famous lawgiver and Pro simply because Janissaries with Drill would be very sweet.

4. Ikael

Ikael Chieftain

Protetive Organized: Emperor Meiji of the Japanese. Please I beg you.

Creative Charismatic: Charles I of Spain. Yet another civ that needs another new leader.

5. Dennis_Moore

Dennis_Moore Unholy Roman

Balancing aside, Phi/ind would suit Pericles as philosophical/scientific advancement and wonder building was the main legacy of the ancient Greeks, Athens in particular.

6. xatsmann

xatsmann Chieftain

Creative + Charismatic = Teddy Roosvelt (Amer), Phillip of Macedonia (Greece), Gorbachev (Russia) Oliver Cromwell (England)

Protective + Organized = Charles the Bald or Napoleon III (France), Marcus Aurelius or Constintine (Rome), Dwight Eisenhower or Andrew Jackson (USA)

7. Evie

Evie Pronounced like Eevee

America, France, England and Russia already have enough leaders as it is.

8. Frostyboy

Frostyboy Never Beaten

Great to see so much enthusiasm about this; that surely shows that the last three leaders are most wanted. I hoped Firaxis could have added them in a later patch, but that's just wishing. I'll guess we have to make the mod ourselves. There seem to be enough candidates. Perhaps a voting should be in order to find the most suitable candidates?
    Existing civs would make it easier, but there should be enough modded leaders to pick from.

9. seasnake

seasnake Conquistador

I'm stumping for a new trait altogether. That way they could release one more expansion with about 6 civs with one leader and 6 leaders for the original civs.
    I thought something like "strategic" would be great, maybe free flanking promotion for mounted units, -15% spy missions and double speed of stables, airports. I figure with all the new mechanics in BTS there's enough new and exciting for a more traditional expansion. I really hope this will happen.
    As far as the remaining three traits:

Creative/Charismatic for King Kamehameha of the Pacific Islanders
    Protective/Organized for Ben Gurion of the Israelis
    Industrious/Philosophical for Hiawatha of the Native Americans (I want him in the squared circle again).

10. Polycrates

Polycrates Chieftain

I really don't see what all the fuss is about with ind/phil. Sure there's a bit of synergy, but if the meager GPP you get from wonders is going to be contributing significantly to your great people count (great library aside, of course), you're not even close to making the most out of phil anyway. Pyramid gamble aside (and it really is a gamble), it doesn't seem all that great. Cre/phi and especially spi/phi are MUCH more synergistic combos, in my mind. A couple of extra wonders polluting up the GP pool, or free trips back and forth between caste system and slavery, and to and from pacifism, representation and mercantilism? I would pick the latter every time.

So yeah, I really don't see it as a problem.

11. Bjorn190

Bjorn190 Chieftain

Usually I get about 30 GP points from wonders.. but PHI really wouldnt help much, since I already get +100 from pacifism, +100 from NE, and +25 from forum :) for a total of 325%, having an extra 75 isnt really the pwn

12. Ikael

Ikael Chieftain

In order to balance the game you would need to assign the industrial / philosophic combo to a civ with a very crappy Unique unit and building... heck, it would even have a Unique unit inferior to its regular counterpart in order to balance it...

13. Martinus

Martinus Emperor

Yeah, I agree Protective and Organized fits King David much better - after all he was a lawgiver and Talmud is one of the oldest systems of law. As for Protective, Israel (especially modern) has been very good at defending itself.

So in short, my suggestions.

King David (Protective/Organized)
    Civilization: Israel
    Favourite Civic: Organized Religion
    Favourite Religion: Judaism

King Salomon (Philosophical/Industrious)
    Civilization: Israel
    Favourite Civic: Hereditary Monarchy
    Favourite Religion: Judaism

King John III Sobieski (Charismatic/Creative)
    Civilization: Poland
    Favourite Civic: Representation
    Favourite Religion: Christianity

14. Bast

Bast Protector of Cats

I fail to see how King David can be not creative.

15. Martinus

Martinus Emperor

Yeah maybe that works too (he wrote Psalms after all).

So instead Pro/Org would be Polish King Casimir, who was famous for building castles and passing laws.

16. Timos

Timos Chieftain

I think the philosphical/industrious trait should be the Scottish

Robert the Bruce :king:
    or
    William Wallace

UB: Kirk (Scottish church), could be 1/2 price temples or temples with small extra culture bonus

UU: Highland warrior (warrior) with a hill bonus or something. I think that would be crappy enough as a UU?

17. ladiesman

ladiesman Chieftain

IMMEDIATLY upon seeing that, Hitler popped in my mind.

I won't start up a Hitler should/shouldn't be in debate, i'm just saying...i think it fits (although maybe Aggressive + Charismatic works better).

That sounds like something that if you wanted to add in a Switzerland civ, would work for one of their leaders.

18. Arwon

Arwon

Protective and Organised might work for a Spanish leader during the Golden Age. Protective because of (in game terms) half-priced citadels and because of the fact that after inheriting the empire the Spanish fought a LOT of defensive wars. Organised, because it promotes large empires, again fitting with the imperial period. It's a stretch, but I want Carlos I or Felipe II, dammit!

19. UnspokenRequest

UnspokenRequest Chieftain

I'm sorry,
    but why is everyone so afraid of Ind/Phi, when there's already an Agg/Char leader in the game?
    Is Ind/phi so much more powerful than Agg/Char [Boudica]?
    I'm not sure.

20. Common Sensei

Common Sensei Chieftain

If I had influence on leaders from the start of Vanilla, I would have had Washington and Lincoln be the two initial American leaders.

As mentioned before, Lincoln would probably be the best candidate for Ind/Phi.

I would move Charismatic/Philosophical to Pericles, which would give a two sides of the coin effect to Greece.

If America still ended up with a third leader, I'd pick Thomas Jefferson and give him Philosophical/Creative (favorite civic: Free Speech).

The freed-up Ind/Org would go to a second Japanese leader (Meiji, probably), if emperors weren't the apparent sticky issue that it is.