Learn a new word, sheesh!

El_Machinae

Colour vision since 2018
Retired Moderator
This is an opt-in thread, where if you post, you're in. Mild roasting expected/encouraged. (I can't find the original opt-in thread, someone finding that thread would be a great way of getting more targets.)
I got made fun of at work a few weeks ago, where everyone overused a word all day. They threw it into every conversation they could. It was an organized trolling of me, but a loving one. One intended to suggest to me that I overuse certain words relative to how they're normally used.

There will be specific words that are unique an industry or hobby. Feel free to use those, but they're less funny. I mean, it's not a surprise that I used neutraceutical as a term more than others did.

But one word that I probably use way too often here is concomitantly.

"effectively," perhaps.

(I can't find the original opt-in thread, someone finding that thread would be a great way of getting more targets.)
It was one of the social groups - anyone who joined that group could specify which kinds of opt-in threads they would like to be part of.

This got zapped into nothingness along with all the other social groups when we were so unexpectedly migrated to XenForo. We were given no warning, so there was no chance to save social group content we considered important.

Actually, I think I use "actually" too much. To the point that I've actually noticed.

My everyday vocabulary contains more Yiddish-derived words than is probably usual for someone with no Jewish heritage (and who isn't from New York). Both 'schlep' and 'kvetch' are among the words that will come to my mind unbidden, i.e. I don't need to reach to recall them.

(And a quick search for more Yiddish words has turned up 'schlock', 'schmaltz', and 'shtick', all of which are also in the immediate vocabulary pool, although I'd likely usually substitute 'wheelhouse' for shtick.)

A friend of mine once said that if I ever had a son, I'd probably call him "archetype".

Granted, it was in my post-graduation class and certain uncommon terminology was expected, but then again, it stood out in that environment...

Fold and unfold are lovely words that can link a specific physical activity to actions on a larger scale. I do like using them.

Edit: In addition, unfolding includes an element of time, suspense and surprise about what the future holds.

Last edited:
People say 'said' instead of 'that' so much I've started writing down about how much I hate how people on the internet speak this way.

Sounding smart on the internet has a low barrier to its entry. (Said entry is bad and should never be entered. Use simpler words and the point is made clearer.)

I use 'probably' and 'supposedly' way too much. Probably because I'm afraid to commit to a hard position. I suppose that's a failing on my part.

I also like to use 'uff da' even though not a lot of people know what it means. It's a mild curse or describes a sort of bad situation.

Over the last few months I've had a couple of people ask me if I'm Scottish because of how much I use "aye" as a general term of agreement. Which I hadn't realised, but thinking about it, yeah, I do use it a lot when talking (though not really typing). I think I picked it up from a flatmate at uni, as I'm home counties born and bred, and my parents dont use it.

Last edited:
At least people have stopped using "anyways".

Top Bottom