Legendary Earth Mod (LEM)

This really looks great. I appreciate a map with realistic resource placement and terrain choices. There are several "accurate" world maps out there, and from what little I have seen of yours so far, I find it the best.

I hope you continue on with this project, although I may request you consider increasing the number of city states a bit.

Also, I'm sorry if this has been covered already, but do you have any plans to add Babylon? (If not the civ, a logical alternative might be a "cultural" city state located where the Babylon civ would have been)

Hi when you say "Find and download the mod through the online hub" could you please be more specific ?

I was used to CIV4 mods but I'm just discovering CIV5 and this new Steam bull... stuff :mad: I find it amazing btw to have to connect to the internet to play Civ5 even solo...

So anyone plz to explain how you reach that database in Steam, it's been hours I'm wandering around in Library, Forums... and nothing.

Thanks for your help !

This really looks great. I appreciate a map with realistic resource placement and terrain choices. There are several "accurate" world maps out there, and from what little I have seen of yours so far, I find it the best.

I hope you continue on with this project, although I may request you consider increasing the number of city states a bit.

Also, I'm sorry if this has been covered already, but do you have any plans to add Babylon? (If not the civ, a logical alternative might be a "cultural" city state located where the Babylon civ would have been)

The only issue with adding Babylon is that that would make the Middle East very crowded...Arabia, Ottomans, Babylon and Persia in what is a very small area. If I added Babylon I would probably remove the Ottomans to compensate.

I also want to increase the city-state number, particularly in Siberia and southern Africa, because as it stands now Russia can pretty much expand unopposed, as can Egypt and Songhai. I would welcome any suggestions for city-states, all I'm considering now is Kotte (Sri Lanka).

Also, v3 (probably the first "stable" version) is in the works right now. The biggest change is a complete overhaul to Europe that has done wonders for gameplay so far, I'm playing as Germany right now and two-fronted war with Rome and Russia was a blast, all because I conquered Helsinki. :rolleyes:

Because you have to click the button "Install Mods" in the bottom right corner of the Installed section.

You have to check "Load Scenario" on the set up screen, then choose your civ.

Please read the included Readme.txt in the download.

OK, yes BUT - there is no load scenario button. And I do not have a "Mods" folder in my steam/common/civ5 directory. I can't find the readme to read it! :)

OK, yes BUT - there is no load scenario button. And I do not have a "Mods" folder in my steam/common/civ5 directory. I can't find the readme to read it! :)

There are 2 Civilization 5 folders, you're looking for My Documents > My Games > Civilizations V > MODS

Curious question or advice for that matter,

I find the custom historical earth maps are interesting, but at the same time really weird.

Reason being, is it seems my civs are always so close to one another, a good example of this is Rome, where in 1 turn Greece, France, and Germany already found me, and I could already see the capital (at least the beginnings of its borders which is not large in the beginning) of France already.

So the question or advice I have, is how are these maps usually played? Are you really not meant to expand out with settlers? And only conquer what's around you? (And yes i made sure the load scenario button was checked)

And basically the settlement action would be in the new world sort of speak? Or do people usually expand anyway with settlers, and also conquer what's around them too?

May seem like a rather weird question, but hope it's not, just trying to figure out a way to truly enjoy the map, cause i just find everyone a bit to close for my liking, hehe.

Curious question or advice for that matter,

I find the custom historical earth maps are interesting, but at the same time really weird.

Reason being, is it seems my civs are always so close to one another, a good example of this is Rome, where in 1 turn Greece, France, and Germany already found me, and I could already see the capital (at least the beginnings of its borders which is not large in the beginning) of France already.

So the question or advice I have, is how are these maps usually played? Are you really not meant to expand out with settlers? And only conquer what's around you? (And yes i made sure the load scenario button was checked)

And basically the settlement action would be in the new world sort of speak? Or do people usually expand anyway with settlers, and also conquer what's around them too?

May seem like a rather weird question, but hope it's not, just trying to figure out a way to truly enjoy the map, cause i just find everyone a bit to close for my liking, hehe.

Depending on which civ you play, you have to do a combination of both. Europe is a crowded place; this is unavoidable, however the map is designed to at least allow each European civ to found a second city. France/Rome can expand into Iberia and the Alps, Greece into the Balkans and Black Sea region and Germany can move towards Russia and Scandinavia.

Despite this, however, warfare is a fact of life for the European civs, and in my playtests I've found that usually at least one civ is eliminated early on and that hostilities are frequent. It is designed to be this way.

If you want to play as an expansionist try Russia, Songhai, Egypt, Persia, China, India or Siam.

Loving the mod but there is one thing that is bugging me and that is the shape of the UK. I really want to do a game as them but I would go mad. I tried making a better shape myself but it always ended up being to large and it still didn't look right.

I didn't know how big it needs to be to fit in your map what dimensions would you say are the max? would 10x10 be too large?

Sorry if this has already been mentioned.

Loving the mod but there is one thing that is bugging me and that is the shape of the UK. I really want to do a game as them but I would go mad. I tried making a better shape myself but it always ended up being to large and it still didn't look right.

I didn't know how big it needs to be to fit in your map what dimensions would you say are the max? would 10x10 be too large?

Sorry if this has already been mentioned.

Don't worry, I've already begun addressing this for the next version. :) Somehow it totally slipped my notice how abominable the British isles were, sorry. :crazyeye:

I'm currently working on overhauling the European landmass, and that includes England, which when taking into account Ireland/Icleand should be able to get 4-5 solid cities in the next release. Unfortunately the AI probably won't take advantage of that yet because it's still very rare that a computer player will found a city on a different landmass.

So your concern has been noted. :)

I also want to increase the city-state number, particularly in Siberia and southern Africa, because as it stands now Russia can pretty much expand unopposed, as can Egypt and Songhai. I would welcome any suggestions for city-states, all I'm considering now is Kotte (Sri Lanka).

Africa:

Great Zimbabwe
Napata or Meroë
Timbuktu
Eko

Western Asia:

Sarai

Hello and thanks for this detailed, well designed map. Tile choices strike a nice balance between continuity (less diverse, looks realistic) and playability. Good work. Enjoying a slow game as Greece.

Only negative crit so far is the disconnection of Asia Minor from the European landmass at Istanbul (which opens the Black Sea to the Aegean). I can see where this might be a conscious choice though given the scope of the map and limited number of tiles.

Hello and thanks for this detailed, well designed map. Tile choices strike a nice balance between continuity (less diverse, looks realistic) and playability. Good work. Enjoying a slow game as Greece.

Only negative crit so far is the disconnection of Asia Minor from the European landmass at Istanbul (which opens the Black Sea to the Aegean). I can see where this might be a conscious choice though given the scope of the map and limited number of tiles.

I did that on purpose...otherwise coastal cities on the Black Sea are useless for naval units unless there's a city placed right on the Bosporous and you own it. Also, it forces the Ottomans to expand east towards the Caspian instead of shouldering their way into Europe.

Since units can embark and its only one tile difference I thought it would have some gameplay value to it. :)

I want to put in some input about "elimination" as someone who has played the map to 200+ turns and a few other times. I have never had a Civ eliminated early, or at all. I THINK one Civ was ABOUT to be eliminated, 200 turns in, but nothing ever dies early, only maybe looses a few cities.

Ottomans did historically shoulder their way into europe ;) Perhaps maybe give them more incentive to settle eastward for their 2nd city though if you did connect the isthmus. Playing around with my map, I've been able to influence where the AI's put their 2nd city on resource placements alone.

Not sure about England, at first I thought the mod wasnt working and then realised that that odd looking island was ment to be the British Isles. lol

Top Bottom