Legendary Earth Mod (LEM)

Updated to Version 5 on both the Mod Browser and here at CFC.

Enjoy! I know I am. :) Hopefully the next civilization is an African one and its also free. :p

Edit: The next version won't be out until the next patch is released. Now that the AI will have the ability to colonize, I will most likely have to take a new look at North/South America and maritime Southeast Asia.

Can I run this without having Mongolia installed?

Well, my first game as Mongolia crashed repeatedly around turn 65, but looked very promising. Wu got pissed because I settled my second city closer than she would prefer, and proceeded to settle north of it. She left it undefended, so it soon fell to two horsemen and an upgraded scout. A couple of turns later she gave me all her gold for a peace treaty, not a bad start.

btw, I think you mentioned that China usually struggles. As Mongolia I immediately had 8 horses available when I settled my second city. I didn't get far enough to be sure, but that seemed a bit overkill especially considering their UUs.

Currently playing England to check out Europe, the isles are nice. I won't mention Iceland as that is on the to do list anyway. Currently 600 BC and I must say I love the arms race I'm seeing in mainland Europe. :lol:

While the British isles are good, what possessed you to make Norway uninhabitable and block the coastline with ice?

The new patch as well as the Spanish/Inca have been released, so I'm now working on a new version of LEM...

Interested in what people's thoughts are on adding both Spain and the Inca, as well as the Aztecs, Iroquois and Americans into the mix.

Currently playtesting my latest version...only added Spain to start off and did some minor tweaks. Here's what the world looks like, with Mother Russia just barely topping the scoreboard. :p

The scores range from 218 (me) down to ~108 (Napoleon). You'll also notice that Japan loves to colonize and tops the scoreboard. Spain has also placed a city in Africa and Britain made short work of expanding into Ireland and Iceland and also squeezed a city in between Oslo and Helsinki.

Needless to say the patch has done wonders for making LEM far more fun and interesting, particularly the diplomacy. Next up is waiting to see if European and East Asian nations start staking out the Americas. :D

After I finish this game, I'm going to clean up the Americas and throw the Inca, Aztecs, Americans and Iroquois together and see how that affects things. :king:

Hi there ,

good work and thank you ...

As the map is that big, maybe you could add more Minor States and make them somehow stronger ... Give them all already a castle from the beginning ?
I really would like as max civs and minors as possible ...

Maybe add in the Pacific all that small islands and place some ruins on them , for all explorers of us :)

Wish you nice day

PS: Maybe (optional version) you could also add missions for the civs, like someone else has done ... but without timelimit !

Hi guys, I'm new here and happy to find the place :). Civilization 5 is my first time at the Civ helm, although I've been gaming since ~1980.

The game seemed pretty good with vanilla maps and no mods; I was prepared for some shortcomings and flaws by having read reviews, et al. The generic maps were obviously the bottleneck to my enjoyment, for reasons I won't bother going into. This map was exactly what I was imagining should be included with the game, I can't thank you enough. Together with Thal's Balance mods (and a few other minor mods) I found the game to play quite well on several (5-6) runs through (prince/epic).

Some shortcomings inherent in the AI were providing some pretty dull play in the New World however, with N/S America and Australia/NZ remaining total ghost towns into the 21st century (and beyond, I assume).

Now, to the patch - after the patch (1.0.1.135) I fired up a game as Napoleon, the Frenchman we all love to hate. I decided on a cultural/defensive military goal (king/epic) with only the LEM v.5 map and a few tiny mods (Tree Growth, Attila's UI tweaks, the Willards). I wanted to note the different AI behavior while running your map, and to share my observations. Oh, and to have some fun too! (and maybe crush England :mischief:).

I am currently at turn 399/1778AD and am very impressed with the difference, it's like night and day. I settled modern France and the Iberian Peninsula (no Spanish Civ re: LEM v.5), then started a North American colony in Labrador (turn 300ish) and have been pushing west. I am chaining cities from Labrador to Vancouver, so I can keep an eye peeled for colonists from other Civs (Jeezley foreigners!).

First the relevant LEM bits;
  • 349/1645AD - Indian Caravel sighted in Hudson Bay (Canada) @ my settlement on the southernmost tip of the bay.
  • 390/1760AD - Songhai replaced India as ally to Onodaga (presumably made naval contact).
  • Japan totally colonized all islands in their area, and the mainland west (1 city) and north (3 cities) (11 cities total, all coastal, all connected territory).
  • India colonized Madagascar (1 city), despite no mainland African settlements.
  • Russia colonized Northern Africa (1 city, ~W. Algeria) and subsequently embarked workers from their landlocked homeland to the colony, via Germany's coast access.
  • All European and African Civs and city states(!) are still existing, despite several major wars.
  • Several Civs (Germany, Egypt, Greece) have been left with a single city, rather than being wiped out, after an unsuccessful war.
  • A useless, 7-tile Egyptian city (desert, N. Africa) captured by Songhai was subsequently razed.
  • No colonies as yet on the SE Asian islands, nor Australia/NZ (Japan is likely to though).
  • No colonies as yet on Iceland (snicker) but there's one on Ireland.
  • England is sniffing around the Atlantic, 3 tiles west of Iceland (in deep water).
  • Songhai still trounced Egypt but left them, alive, to pathetically wallow in a single 7-tile desert city, right on their conqueror's border (?! & lol).

General patch observations;
  • You need to coordinate units to capture a city now, you can't just roll over it.
  • No more endless treaty/deal bug! (yet...)
  • I feel like I have made alliances, and enemies, with the AI.
  • I understand why I should and/or shouldn't make alliances, friendships etc. (there seems to be a system of sorts now, not a few disconnected parts).
  • Units understood they could move faster over water than some land terrain types, and pathed accordingly.
  • Seems much longer to get deep water/ocean travel (Astronomy) due to new link in tech tree.
  • When set to explore, my scout automatically embarked when necessary, including deep water (!!) (sporadically though, I think - *edit* nope, seems consistently good - oh, now it's consistent but wacky).
I'll save the other general stuff for another thread, so as to keep my post LEM focused - but you get a few examples anyhow.

I am forming a concise list of constructive suggestions for the region of Canada in your map, inre: the terrain and resources but I understand this is a work in progress and have no complaints. Thanks again for the great map, I hope to post tomorrow with an update.
Cheers!

Ooh... hot news in the New World! (and one from Europe too) :woohoo:
  • 404/1788AD - Japanese caravel 2 tiles NE of P.E.I. (E coast Canada)
  • ~410/1800AD - Greece captured bordering city (Rome's) and subsequently razed it for lebensraum.
  • 420/1832AD - Japanese caravel on coast near Vancouver/Seattle (W coast, NA)
  • 430/1840AD - Russian colony (1 city, 7-tile) discovered on South America!!! 2 tiles SSW of easternmost edge of continent (eastern Brazil).

So there it is... given enough time the new AI is able to discover the New World! :clap: It took a hundred or so turns more than I did, but I had the advantage of knowing where I was going. The AI needed to explore, then build and send a settler. Since I just built the colonists and sent 'em bee-line west over the Atlantic, this would obviously provide a large head-start. Oh, on second thought I suppose the AI may have sent the settler, blind, across the briney blue... not sure how they handle settler behavior (do they explore, or only travel to revealed tiles?).

I know you are adjusting Iceland for future versions; I wouldn't be surprised if a more westerly location now encouraged England to cross the Atlantic earlier... assuming they ever will. To help things along, I completely fenced them off from eastern expansion with rapid border growth early-game, gotta' love those cultured French!

I'll figure out how to do screenshots tomorrow and post some for your enjoyment.
Cheers!

... strange at my last game one of the asian cpu players suddenly was allied with 15 minor countries ... later he built that UNO building and won the first election ???
wtf ... that minor countries staxed allied with him over hundred of years ... how could he afforded that and even finished with a plus of 30000 gp ?

A bug or possible ? Seems more a bug, because as a human player you always have money problems and only with "Alexander" I managed to have 4-5 minor always as allies ...

Lots of action overseas now! Still nothing in North America, but South America has 2 AI colonies with 2 cities each (screenshot below). In addition to Russia, Songhai has managed to find Brazil and they've settled next to one another. I just discovered Songhai's cities so I'm not sure who arrived first. They have both grabbed some luxury resources, started to improve tiles and are expanding their borders. They appear to be getting along OK so far. I observed Songhai emigrating a crew of workers from Continental Africa, across the south Atlantic, to their colony in SA.

Getting crowded in South America;
Spoiler :

England, strangely, won't settle Iceland and seems to have no interest in NA as yet, despite being completely cut off from eastward expansion (screenshot below). Oddly, the AI has settled exactly the same city locations as I did on my last run through as Lizzy, although admittedly she doesn't have many options.

Elizabeth just doesn't wanna' go west;
Spoiler :

You mentioned earlier about Japan doing well in your new map version, I have noticed a similar experience with v.5 post-patch. They seem to consistently have 5-6000 gold, maybe they need to be clipped a bit... also they have 10 coal within their relatively small borders, and access to 4 more if they grease Seoul. I suppose they need something to compensate for their lack of land mass, but I'll keep an eye on them to see if they develop an über-power complex. *edit* oh, I just realized you are probably fishing for AI settlers with all the coal peppered around...

Oda Nobunaga's island empire;
Spoiler :

Still nothing in SE Asian islands;
Spoiler :

I have lots more interesting observations, in regards to different AI behavior since the patch (within your map specifically). I'll post again soon, but in a nutshell - as you noted, it's playing quite differently than pre-patch. Generally more fun with a better balance and pace. I can't wait to see how South America plays out with future versions... the Aztecs and Inca together with the likelihood of Old World colonists arriving on the scene - very cool! I've been thinking about the new link in the tech-tree that delays Astronomy; I wonder if, by the time colonists arrive, the native SA'ns will have "Askia'd" the continent, preventing new settlements from taking hold... can't wait to find out!
Cheers:salute:

OK Jedi, I have a small list of post-1.0.1.135 notes that may be of interest to you while developing future versions of your map. Forgive me if any of the things I deem unusual are actually common pre-patch occurrences, I haven't played through enough times to have seen everything yet. So far things have been very balanced, relative to v.5 pre-patch with no balance mods.

Notable Recent Events;
  • 441/1851 - Germany Conquered: the 1st European (2nd overall, after China) Civ to be eradicated. Usually there would have been many more down by now.
  • 458/1878 - WWI: Every city state and most Civs declared war on at least one opponent. Unbelievable amount of notification bubbles at side of screen, I'd say 50-60 at least. Total war explosion.
  • 477/1887 - Askum Occupied: they are the 1st City State to be conquered (Songhai). Usually there would have been many more down by now.

Weird Occurrences;
After losing Germany's only other city to Russia rather early on, Bismark retired to Berlin, sulky and despondent. Being surrounded by neighboring Civs, he subsequently refused to improve the sizable city's land in any way whatsoever (not a single tile), for like 1000 years. All through that time he behaved like a total douche, denouncing everyone and taunting me flippantly, considering his shaky position on the world stage. They remained, stagnant, in their only city until finally being put out of their misery by a sizable alliance. I assume he had a certain goal (flavor) but was shafted early and just gave up... (?) Funny, because I have certainly done that a few times myself. Someone should make a "Screw you guys, I'm going home!" mod, where the AI Civs can just cash-out and go to the Bahamas... Notification: Ramesses II has sold Thebes to Askia of Songhai and is hitting the Mediterranean in his luxury caravel for some r&r.

A (very) few terrain & resource notes for Canada;
  • Need prairies (ie: wheat, grassland) for most of central Canada, in the south (E of Rockies for a long way).
  • Need livestock (ie: cows) to represent the massive herds of buffalo in the past.
  • Need fish in the Great Lakes, fresh water port cities are viable.
  • Too many furs overall, no Civs will even take any more, I have 4 extra from my large NA colony.
  • More oil in Alberta (they have tons), not just the one in the Rocky Mountains.
  • More game (deer, moose) up north for central Canada, and more tundra/ marsh (edit: oh nm, lots of tundra already, sorry).
  • More small (1-tile) lakes in central northern Canada (it's not all trees above the prairies).
  • More fish on both coasts & Hudson Bay, there used to be so many it was unbelievable.
  • City-States to interact with in NA, after Civs are added (many tribes to draw names from).
  • 1 or 2 small City-States way up north in Greenland and Nunavut could represent native Inuit settlements (whales, culture). Actually, something similar could work for Russia/NE Asia also (Nanai/Goldi people).
I know you are looking to balance realistic geography with playability so I understand if any of my suggestions are not feasible. I do believe that a more diverse terrain will allow for greater play in future versions, after you populate NA with Civs and City-States. As a final (for now) thought along those lines; I'm not sure how well Washington will fit in on NA. I realize trying to put Civilization into any kind of historical context is spotty at best, but that one might break the immersion too much. Imagine playing Isabella of Spain... developing your Civ to the point where you can embark the world's oceans. After subsequent exploration you discover South America... only to find it already has a Spanish-language colony of no small size. That's about how I'd feel in an Elizabeth/Washington/North America scenario. I suppose one could play as The Homeland, trying to wrest back control of their Upstart Colonies, but that doesn't seem like my cup of tea. Unfortunately, aside from hostile/militaristic City-States, I can think of no alternative to Washington that would act as an opponent to total Iroquois domination of the continent... but maybe that could be part of the fun. You'd need to embark an army from your homeland, not just settlers, and really carve yourself out a piece, so-to-speak. Playing as Hiawatha would suck though...

You know what might be OK? Aztec could (and should) be situated in southern Mexico, they could easily spread south to challenge Inca, and/or north to harass Iroquois. Any Euro/Asia/Afri/MidE colonists would likely encounter even Native dispersion across the Americas to challenge their settlements, or to ally with. Think that would work?
Cheers:salute:

"A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within." W. Durant

Thank you very much for your comments Scocou! (And the screenies :)). My computer currently has no internet since I left my wireless USB at school, so I was only just able to skim what you wrote, but I'm sure it will prove very helpful as I further develop the map.

My computer won't have internet access until next week, so look for v6 after Christmas...I'll be taking your suggestions into consideration.

Thank you very much for your comments Scocou! (And the screenies :)). My computer currently has no internet since I left my wireless USB at school, so I was only just able to skim what you wrote, but I'm sure it will prove very helpful as I further develop the map.

My computer won't have internet access until next week, so look for v6 after Christmas...I'll be taking your suggestions into consideration.
Awesome, I can't wait. Especially read the last bit about Aztec in Mexico with no Washington, the more I consider it the better it sounds...

Merry Christmas!

I don´t have much to add to Scocou´s extensive comments... except:

what´s that island doing above Ireland?:confused: If it´s Iceland it should be much closer to Greenland (with some ocean between the British Isles and Iceland). As it is now it´s closer to Britain than Brittany or Norway...

I don´t have much to add to Scocou´s extensive comments... except:

what´s that island doing above Ireland?:confused: If it´s Iceland it should be much closer to Greenland (with some ocean between the British Isles and Iceland). As it is now it´s closer to Britain than Brittany or Norway...

I remember reading it has changed for the next version, and was there as an experiment to give Britain more land...

Finished my latest playtest (well not really, but close enough to get an idea of how things are turning out :p) and now I'm moving on to introducing civilization back into North/South America.

As such, I would appreciate recommendations for native tribes that can be represented as city states, particularly in Canada to act as a bulwark and keep the Iroquois on the East Coast. Also, I'll need quite a few for South America, particularly ones that could be placed on the eastern coast to prevent domination by the Inca.

Hope everyone is enjoying the holidays. :)

Top Bottom