[BTS] Let's get this old beast back on the road

Matrix

CFC Dinosaur
Retired Moderator
Dang, this forum has changed since I as around. Anyway...

There are some of us, who still think Civ4 is the best version. This includes me, Beorn, Lt. 'Killer' M., ProPain... We just finished this pitboss that I hosted and are now hungry for more. Who'd be willing to join? It will be played with the BUG Mod 4.4. And we'll probably be able to find someone who does not have enough time to play, but can balance the starting positions, so that we all have a fair chance.

Players
- Matrix
- Beorn
- Lt. 'Killer' M.
- ProPain
- BrunchTime
- socralynnek
- Stapel

Last edited:
We'll decide democratically on the settings. This is my suggestion:
  • Map type: shuffle
  • Map size: depends on number of players
  • Sea level: random
  • Climate: random
  • Era: ancient
  • Speed: normal
  • Turn timer: 24 hours
  • Victories:
    • All
  • Options:
    • No tech trading
    • Pick religion
I am strongly in favour of no tech trading. That's the most tedious, boring part of diplomacy, which disrespects people their skills in economic management and disadvantages a remote start even more.
All the other settings are mild preferences of mine, except ancient era, but I don't expect any discussion on that anyway. For the rest I'm totally fine if we choose otherwise.

If we get another CFC dinosaur to balance out a shuffle map, I'm all for it, otherwise a pangea or balanced map would help mitigate a bunch of potential problems.

Another source of wonky imbalance is goody huts, which I vote we take out as well.

Hi! I'm really interested in joining. Full disclosure: this would be my first Pitboss game, and I'm just ok at Civ. I can win pretty easily on Noble, but I get my mind blown when I watch, say Lain's Deity gameplay. Super excited to see a game getting started!

I have a Steam version of BTS. I will look up details on the BUG mod, but is there anything I need to do to prepare my software? Thanks!

PS: imo no tech trading sounds good. Ancient era is good. I usually prefer no huts/no random events.

Hi BrunchTime, nice of you to join! :) I win pretty easily at Prince, so we're not far off from each other.

I hope the BUG mod works with the Steam version of Civ4BTS as well, but otherwise I know a workaround. It stands for BTS Unaltered Gameplay, so it doesn't change the game mechanics, but add a lot of features that give us more and better info. It's a bit of a hassle going through all the options. But once you have it, you never want to play without it again. ;) You can download it here. (More info here...)

- When you install, choose the "Multi-Player (Mods folder)" installation type.
- Run the game in administrator mode if you want changes you make in the mod to be saved for the next time you start it up.
- Mind the newly created shortcut that launches the game with the mod pre-loaded.

Yeah Lain is the real deal. He does a ton of stunts that only work against AI with full tech trading though, none of which would fly in a multiplayer setting. But man can he play the AI like a fiddle.

So that's 6 with ynnek, any more?

Stapel will join us too! I'll ask a few others still and then I estimate we can start this somewhere at the end of next week.

Sorry this is taking so long. I've been rather busy and am still in the process of finding someone who could make a map with a more balanced starting position.

By the way, most of us are (or used to be) more active on CivDuelZone. You can also follow the discussion about this game here. :)

Along with a slew of personal secrets, dog pics and spoilers where you can study our different skills and temperaments :p

The game will commence on

Sunday 27/10/2019 at 10:00 UTC

(Note that summer time in Europe ends on the night of Saturday to Sunday.)

Best of luck to everyone

I paused the game until I hear from Stapel and ProPain. Would be a shame if they'd miss the first turn or two. We can all deliver that patience, can't we? ;)

There we go!

Top Bottom