1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Link button (Renaming Links)

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by lymond, Sep 29, 2020.

1. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

I'm curious if there was forum setting behind the scenes for the "Link" button such that one can rename the link into a readable format for viewers. Such as:

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/civ-illustrated-1-know-your-enemy.478563/

becomes:

Know Your Enemy

One can use bbcode in the following format:

[ + url + = + link + ] + Name + [/url]

But it would be far more convenient if the Link button would prompt the poster to add a title for the link, not unlike how Spoiler tags work.

Figured there might be a setting that enables that prompt. Or maybe there is a format that allows it when entering it into the URL prompt field.

2. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

I do not know?

I copy the link location in my browser, type the text I wish the link to appear as, highlight the text and hit the link button and paste in the copied link. Then it appears exactly as Know Your Enemy above.

Noble Zarkon likes this.
  3. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

Sounds like the key here is that you don't start with the link and try to convert it to a labeled link. Instead you start with the label and turn it into a link.

Disclosure: I never thought to do what lief suggests. I've always just done the manual BB Code route the OP describes.