1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

List of AI Stupidities

Discussion in 'Civ2 - General Discussions' started by Thunderfall, Dec 30, 2000.

1. Fundamentality

Fundamentality WEE A PLANE!!!

@hell xplorer: Welcome to CFC [party]
    One of the things I hate is,that when the AI is in Democracy even after a city is in revolt,their government is not "overthrown".
    I hate that too especially when I waste my tanks on them....
    And they can seriously damage my tanks but I can't vice versa.
    It's almost like they don't have "fatigue"!

2. TimTheEnchanter

TimTheEnchanter I...am...an Enchanter!

You realize you responded to a nearly 5 year old question from a guy who left the boards over 2 years ago, right? ;)

3. Marlos

Marlos Christian Soldier

Ah, he replied at 2am -- he was probably tired. :lol:

4. covok48

covok48 Emperor

I know this has been posted before...every AI shortcoming has on this thread for god's sake!

But I really hate 2 things:

1) The computer's limitless supply of cruise missles that snack on my carriers and battleships (making them virually unbuildable) and

2) The computer insane unit support system. I'd send in a spy into a city that produced a single shield (and a pop of two) support 15 or so units! In fact, there was a shortage of about 14 shields in that city and no units got disbanded. Maddening!

5. scloopy

scloopy Lost One

You are in the company of many. It is a problem through out all of the Civ games. A city with one citizen that was just settled and is surrounded by your units will have 10 defensive units in about 10 turns.

6. ElephantU

ElephantU Deity

A Vet AEGIS Cruiser in a stack with Aircraft Carrier or Battleship is a great way to snack on AI cruise missiles. Better yet, keep another nearby and swap it in when the first takes some damage. Putting a Bomber overhead might be another way to deal with things.

Regarding the supported units issue, was the AI civ in Fundy government? That can permit more than the usual number of units being supported. There may also be a special situation when the units are Partisans.

7. Bart133

Bart133 Chieftain

Even better, keep an AEGIS cruiser in your stacks of units, and then simply bombard the AI's cities. The AI rarely builds Coastal Fortresses, and the cruise missiles are often in weakly defended cities.
    Also, you would need several Bombers, and the AI is probably smart enough to shoot them down.

8. ElephantU

ElephantU Deity

The AEGIS will shoot them down; the Bomber just keeps them from attacking. Better that they are killed than deterred.

9. Ace

Ace Emperor

A good "cruise missile sponge" group is one battleship to attract the missiles and three or more ageis cruisers to do the killing. Having at least two ageis' ensures that if the AI gets lucky and manages to damage a cruiser, the next one in line will become the "shooter" thus preventing the overwhelming of one cruiser by accumulated damage.

10. temurleng

temurleng Another Dumb Message

I can personally attest to the high-quality of this tactic. I once staged an inter-Atlantic invasion, with 5+ stacks (one battleship to get the attention, 7+ Aegis to defend) and, like, 20 Aegis in support. Behind them were Carriers (protected by a 4-Stack of Aegis) and Transports.

I actually have used this a number of times. I'll route a horde of Mechs into the city and home them there. Sometimes, I have to airlift them in. If the AI's city doesn't have airlift, though, that is cheating.

11. GunshySlycat1

GunshySlycat1 Chieftain

Yeah, ever heard of the swiss guards? They guard the pope to this day! If the italian military stormed the vatican, those guards wouldn't have a chance, ha. Maybe the AI just likes..diversity. They want to keep in touch with their older units and uhh they think that an armed forces of every unit in history is better than a completely modernized military? Even so, they still waste their time with pointless skirmishes when they can swarm you with these "diverse" units in weak spots.

12. Downstrike

Downstrike Chieftain

I just don't have the patience to read the middle 21 pages of this thread, so pardon me if I repeat something someone else said, (probably inevitable), but this stupidity and cheat aren't mentioned on the web site:

Stupidity: The AI has something like ten to thirty cruise missiles stacked in a city. I have cities within easy range of those missiles, defended with far less units than that. Each missile could easily take out one of my defending units, at least until I fortify Mech. Infantry under a SAM. I have never once seen an AI use cruise missiles to attack a city. On the other hand, if I use a spy to bribe the city with the most cruise missiles in it, I usually obtain enough cruise missiles to conquer the next five cities with, assuming that I have enough fighters to shoot all the missiles with, (the right tool for the right job!). Think the AI would ever attack multiple defenseless units with one fighter? Oh, no! Once the AI fighter has taken out a spy, he is so fatigued that he must rush home to the nearest city and sleep.

Cheat: During the turn that it takes your government to switch over during a revolt - even if you have the Statue of Liberty - your cities are relatively easy pickings for diplomats and spies. However, you just try that when an AI tribe goes into a revolt! If it has decided that it's going to change to Democracy, for all purposes it already is in Democracy; even though the change to Democracy has not been declared, Civ II will lecture you that cities and units of Democracy cannot be bribed, as if you were some kind n00b. What's more, the change to Democracy will be announced the very next turn, even though it doesn't have the Statue of Liberty.

Caveat: I observed these behaviors at Deity level. I'm not familiar with the lower levels.

13. Woodswallow

Woodswallow Chieftain

I like the way AI units just sit and ALLOW themselves to be damaged by my spies; I can usually reduce even a battleship to a wreck!

14. guard84

guard84 Chieftain

you can use your settler units to capture cities

15. guard84

guard84 Chieftain

I suppose this was outdated by years too? I dunno....I love picking new scenarios off this website, you guys are great...

16. Downstrike

Downstrike Chieftain

Capturing cities with settlers has a been SOP since the DOS days. The settler is also your best defensive unit until you have phalanx or archer, so fortifying a settler inside a city is also a valid strategy - although you have to do the Fortify from the settler's menu inside the City screen, because the unit's Actions menu won't allow it.

17. Kessey

Kessey Chieftain

In my last game, the AI nuked its own city to get it back from me. Thanks, Aztecs for eliminating that pesky partisan problem!

Jay

18. scloopy

scloopy Lost One

Seems some of the more aggressive AIs take it a bit far, but that is a new one to me.

19. Kessey

Kessey Chieftain

The city was right in the middle of their land too, so they ended up wiping out a good number of their own troops who were fortified in fortresses nearby.

Jay

20. Ace

Ace Emperor

Yes, the AI is ruthless when it comes to nukes. Everytime you capture one of its cities, it will nuke that city the next turn, if at all possible. The only way to cut your losses is to move your units away from the just captured city. Rush building an SDI works in the long run, but the first nuke gets there before the turn in which the SDI is finished.