List of AI Stupidities

has anyone been early into a game and a random trireme from another civ attacks your city and is destroyed? now that is stupid

Happens all the time. An AI trireme will almost always attack any of your cities it discovers. And you will not get credit for "making contact" with that civ or be in a state of war with it.

Insurgents in Iraq are downing US helicopters as we speak with a combination of heavy machine guns and RPGs... CivII is an abstraction, but we could imagine something like the helicopter being on the ground when the chariot rolls over the hill and hand-to-hand combat ensues... happened a few times in Vietnam.
What I meant, is ; How low do you think the helicopter would have to be for the spear to hit???:scan:

Most of the helicopters in Vietnam were transports, either dropping troops off or picking up wounded, which took some time and sometimes involved waiting around. Since the technology was only twenty years old there was also a significant amount of mechanical failure, and the occasional one that got caught in a AAA trap could usually autogyro to a walk-away hard landing.

More recently there was the heroic defense of Super Six Four in the Battle of Mogadishu.

What I meant, is ; How low do you think the helicopter would have to be for the spear to hit???:scan:

Stop thinking like a human being in terms of helicopters and spearmen, and think like an AI in terms of numbers...attack factors, defense factors, hit points and firepower. In real life, a spearman is not gonna take out a tank, period, likewise, I do not recall ever reading about a helicopter being brought down by a spear (or an arrow). However, mathematically, there is always a chance, no matter how small, for the weaker unit to win.

"In one assault in 2005, a group of rock-throwing illegal immigrants damaged the rotor of a Border Patrol helicopter and forced it to make an emergency landing..." I just read this on Newsmax.com in an article about illigals throwing rocks at border patrol helicopters. So, maybe a spearman does have a chance in real life to bring down a chopper. :confused:

I don't know if this was mentioned, but why is AI so afraid of the Great Wall? I mean, if I never expire it, will they always be afraid of it? (I got Civ3 and haven'tplayed Civ2 ever since).

I don't know if this was mentioned, but why is AI so afraid of the Great Wall?

They should be afraid of it. It is one of the effects of this wonder...

I found a new civ relatively late in the game. It was landlocked, since they had built all their cities ONE square away from the ocean. So my Battleships blew the crap out of a million units standing on the beaches.
Then I establish contact and they want peace. Excuse me? I just bombarded your land for years, and now you want peace? They're not even angry one bit. :b

Never. Test of Time doesn't seem to have the same degree of AI stupidities that regular Civ II has.

Oh, and Test of Time doesn't have Battleships. The equivalent unit is the Shuttle, and it's quite good in combat.
I spoke too soon. In tonight's game, my Shuttle (equiv. = Battleship) got destroyed when it attacked a REPELLER (equiv. = Phalanx)! :confused: :mad:

I found a new civ relatively late in the game. It was landlocked, since they had built all their cities ONE square away from the ocean. So my Battleships blew the crap out of a million units standing on the beaches.
Isn't it therapeutic to blow them away? :lol:

Naval units attacking land units is not considered significant "contact", so you get away with attacking them even though your ships suffer a decrease in their attack strength. Once your land units bump into their land units you have "first contact" and they assess your strength versus theirs to decide how to treat you. You didn't get a "declare war?" option when your Battleship hit their land units, did you?

I remember one time, I had this tank (what are they called) in a city with walls, and a barbarian warrior came up and took over the city :rolleyes: :eek: :mad:

Lets not forget our psyc, maybe we can paint the rocks like grenades to scare the chopper.

If you cheat and give the AI a whole bunch of fighters, for a scenario for example, the AI will almost always concentrate all the fighters to one city.

When the AI got rockets (like the Axis in the World War II szenario) than they don´t need to build them I think. For example you got a ship on the sea where the rockets can´t be flying (because it is too far away from the next enemy city) then they spawning about 4 or 5 rockets in your near who will bombing your ship down. And when you don´t move in your next turn your ship then it is very presumably that in his next turn your enemy will spawning another number of rockets in your near who will bombing your ship (not only ships units and citys on the land too) down. That goes so long till your unit is totally destroyed.

Damned AI cheaters! :mad:

When the AI is making a sea raid on you and 2 land masses - yours and another (connected or not, but a bay/sea separates them) - are adjacent to their ship, they sometimes land some units on the other. The Japanese loaded a ship to cross the small bay between us (as I had secured the land) and landed one unit on my side of the bay, the rest on theirs (giving them a harder time to round the bay than if they had stayed home). Not that it mattered - I shot the one legion with my musket and used my destroyer for the rest. On their next turn, the Japanese caravel thought maybe it could kill my destroyer (in the red but still fair) and took about one pixel off.

Top Bottom