List of Useful & Free Software Programs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn, that is handy. Cool find Pete!

Its got pretty much all of my 'install on fresh OS' apps.

Is there any advantage over Ubuntu Netbook Remix?

To be honest, I'm not familiar with Ubuntu Netbook Remix. But they look pretty similar.

Can you explain why this is better than apt-get / synaptic?

Because you should stop being a Linux evangelist. Its really effing annoying. Now don't get me wrong, I love the OS. Most of the time, my laptop is booted to Ubuntu and not Windows 7. Yet, preaching for any OS annoys the gentle caress out of me. Linux has its uses, Windows has its uses.
Pete linked to a Windows-only app. Most user-oriented distro's already come with most of these apps anyways or similar alternatives (the irony, Linux more bloated than windows!) It isnt even *meant* to be a synaptic-like program. Synaptic allows for easy access to apt. Ninite just simplifies installation of commonly used free software (except winrar) -- they have some similarities, but for the most part they serve a different purpose.

So please, sudo apt-get ShutTheSmileyUp

Found this download:
UxStyle

It is still in early phases. It is free at the moment, but the forums suggest that there is a premium version in the works, but to enjoy the software while it's free.

What you just installed (or are planning to install) is what we call UxStyle Core. This package contains the bare minimum to enable third-party theme usage on a multitude of platforms -- from Windows XP to Windows 7.

Later, during the beta process, a partner of ours will have a theme manager ready for test. This will be bundled with UxStyle Core and be called... you guessed it. The UxStyle Core + Theme Manager Bundle. Names aren't final, but we think it sounds good enough.

There's no information about UxStyle Premium, so enjoy our software while it's free.

All we ask is that you a) install the software and b) let us know if something goes wrong. Otherwise, enjoy your day as you normally would. Touch base with us every now and then for updates.

I know it's pretty simple to patch windows yourself and you don't necessarily need an installer.
Whether or not you like this, I just thought I'd share. I haven't used, so can't recommend it, but I think sharing information is good thing, what could it hurt? Don't like it? Don't use it. I don't know why people feel the need to flame someone for just sharing information.

EDIT: Checking the times on the forum and the page itself, the project could be dead, I dunno :dunno:

Actually, irfanview can already make avatar-sized images. It has a plugin that allows you to force a max size. The only problem is that irfanview seems to have issues with saving transparency.
And that plugin is RIOT. No need to use some standalone exe

And that plugin is RIOT. No need to use some standalone exe

Wait, are you saying Irfanview is the standalone or RIOT is the standalone. Either one comes in an executable version, but Irfanview has many other features too.

I found this javascript you type in address bar to get last modified date:
http://www.irvingisd.net/last_updated.htm

Now the neat thing, is (this is Firefox) you open up your bookmark organizer to the bookmark toolbar. Create a new bookmark using that little javascript for the URL. And ta-da, it'll appear in the toolbar and you just click and it'll appear.

Two things to mention:
1) If you right-click a webpage and Properties it says there.
2) This only works for static webpages. On the others you'll get the date/time the page was loaded.

Some people might like to know that Dark Basic Professional is now freely downloadable (although you need to pay for the full-price version if you want to sell anything you make with it). It's basically AMOS/STOS for the PC, if anyone else here is of the right generation to know what that means. It is not the most versatile or modern version of BASIC now available but it does what it does well.

Some people might like to know that Dark Basic Professional is now freely downloadable (although you need to pay for the full-price version if you want to sell anything you make with it). It's basically AMOS/STOS for the PC, if anyone else here is of the right generation to know what that means. It is not the most versatile or modern version of BASIC now available but it does what it does well.

I hope to god thats BASIC with OO, otherwise, I cant imagine writing a modern(ish) game with it.

Without OO, isn't it just Spaghetti-code?

Without OO it becomes an archaic language, not very well suited to game making. There may be uses for it, but a game engine really isnt one. You have much more powerful engines in Python and Cpp because those languages are better suited to game-making.

I found a website editor make by the World Wide Web Cortisol. It's called Amaya.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom