• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Lithuania (RFC)

Hmmm... Then build a bunch of banks, markets, and grocers, hire a ton of mercs, and humble the Russians.

Ah, if only I had the money, and the cities. Riga's rich, but only Riga. I think I'll see how things go for now before I decide on any strategy. The arrival of the Turks and the fact that the Colonial era will start soon might make a difference.

maybe you should try to get iron from someone, or build a city in scandinavia that has the iron.

Big update on the way. Speculate as to what happened while I type it up.

I bet you conquered either Berlin or Moscow. Berlin seems more probable because of Russia's UP.
BTW I just thought of this, if you're playing the vikings as Lithuania, Scandinavia will be mostly empty, are you planning to expand there? It'll be easy stability-wise after all.

Part 4

Introduction

This is something of a special instalment in this epic tale. Just two turns after the collapse of Greece Peter declared war, something I was not ready for. Due to the way the war was fought, I felt it would be more appropriate to alter the style of this instalment to reflect the nature of conflict in RFC.

Invasion

In 1410 a small Russian force crossed the border at Velikiye Luki, thus provoking the Ruso-Lithuanian War. Although the force was small, it was still more powerful than the meagre Lithuanian Army.

The Split

The Russians were located on the far side of the River Dvina. To reach Minsk, they would have to cross it. There were two crossing points, both of which led into forests, which the Lithuanians played to their advantage. The Grand Duke ordered for his force to split in two, so that both crossings could be covered.
This was a huge gamble. Whichever half was attacked first would almost certainly be destroyed, due to how grossly outnumbered they would be. However, it would give the other half the opportunity to flank the Russians, and hit them while they were recovering from the previous battle.

The First Battle of Polotsk

The Russian commander was evidently no fool, and he did not play into the Grand Duke’s strategy. Instead, the Russian force headed south, and crossed the Dvina at Vitebsk. From there they swung round and hit the northern-most Lithuanian force, overwhelming them. Russian casualties were mild, whilst half the Lithuanian army was lost.

The Second Battle of Polotsk and the Battle of Vitebsk

The Lithuanians weren’t going to give in that easily. The garrison at Minsk, composed of newly-formed Musket Regiments, headed North-East to attack the Russian force. In the ensuing battle the Russian force was annihilated whilst the Lithuanian casualties were fewer than a hundred.
Not all of the Russian force had attacked at the First Battle of Polotsk. Some had remained behind to check the second half of the Lithuanian army. Whilst Polotsk was fought over a second time the other Lithuanians went on the offensive, and hit the Russian cavalry at Vitebsk. The Lithuanian casualties were high, but ultimately they were successful.

An Uneasy Peace

Following the Dvina Campaign, the Lithuanian army returned to Minsk, to recuperate after a spectacular struggle. However, a small Russian force marched out to occupy Vitebsk. The Lithuanians did not have the energy or the will to march out and fight again, so the Russians were left to their devices. The war effectively paused with neither side willing to fight further.

One Lithuania, Complete

The undeclared peace ended in 1445. The Lithuanian army marched out from Minsk and besieged Kiev (formerly Konugard). The city fell, thus reuniting Lithuania. Despite this terrific defeat the Russians refused to give in, though they did not mount a new offensive. In 1455, ten years since Kiev fell, they still refused to negotiate. However, with no more fighting taking place the war was effectively over, Lithuania had won.

It's so nice playing viceroy (I assume so because you already have gunpowder in the 1400's and only having 3 cities)...:)

After that near-disaster I am planning on always having a decent military force available.

Anyone got any suggestions for what to do next? Russia won't be a problem for a while, they seem to be short on units. So I was thinking Germany...

Well done so far! Interesting to see you surviving between two surging behemoths. :goodjob:

You could either take Budapest or whatever close city they have, or you could capture/raze Berlin and make them collapse.

Rename Riga to Vilnus for more accuracy.

The Russian-Lithuanian wars occur only 100 years earlier then in history, which is a nice touch.

@micbic - Bear in mind I'm on Viceroy.

@emeralddude - The only city near Budapest is Laibach, which is too far away.

@Lone Wolf - It's too late. I feel attached to Riga.

You could try ambushing Ophiusa to give Kiev some space.

Part 5

1485 A.D.

After 75 years of intermittent warfare Lithuania and Russia finally signed a formalised peace treaty, bringing about a new era of good relations between the two great nations.

1490 A.D.

A new treaty allowing freedom of movement between Lithuania and Russia signalled the end of the old era. It also allowed Lithuania to concentrate on other pressing matters.

1530 A.D.

News arrived from Western Europe. The Dutch had discovered a new continent, seemingly devoid of life, and had set up a colony there. Other European powers looked set to expand there too. The Grand Duke knew he would have to find a way to compete with them.

1555 A.D.

Turko-Lithuanian relations took a blow as a wedding took place in the Christian manner, angering Lithuania’s ever-growing neighbour to the south.

1565 A.D.

Yet more barbaric savages have sold themselves to French charm. The Grand Duke was disgusted to see France show such sympathy to heathens, and wanted something to be done.

1595 – 1615 A.D.

America, as the new continent had been christened, was too far and too expensive for Lithuania to reach, but the long uninhabited Scandinavian Peninsula was not. Colonies were established at Malmo, Lulea and Nidaros.

1620 A.D.

Europe had erupted in flames. On one side were Spain and Portugal, her vassal. On the other were the Holy Roman Empire, the Netherlands and France, who was master of Arabia, Tunisia and Mali.

Lithuania must take its most able generals and strike at Ophiusa! They have been smart enough to survive this far, and now it's time to put them into power. On the other hand, it looks like you could attack Berlin... Just wait until you get some cannons so you can tear up the German armies.

Actually, this died sadly. I accidentally overwrote the save file.

I might do another swapped start campaign sometime, in Asia most probably. Feel free to suggest ideas.

And I'll have a back-up save file just in case.

I might do another swapped start campaign sometime, in Asia most probably. Feel free to suggest ideas.

Korea seems to suit you. Or like Indonesia, Tibet, Vietnam or something.

Top Bottom