[GS] Livestreamer Previews Discussion Thread

I'll have to put every cultural leaders in the game when I'm playing cultural, to get at least some decent Resistance and try not to win ridiculously early.
I never go for cultural victory because it is boring. I usually play for a science victory. It is the only victory that is fun to do. Hopefully this changes in GS.

I never go for cultural victory because it is boring. I usually play for a science victory. It is the only victory that is fun to do. Hopefully this changes in GS.

I love to play cultural, I hate how much the AI's inability to generate domestic tourists affect the victory. That easily make my top 3 things that still disappoint me in Civ VI.

couldn't disagree more, science victory is the most boring to me. I mean besides religious victory, but no one goes for religious victory.

Domination is fun too sometimes, but I do on occasion get tired of beating up on the poor AI.

For R&F I also find cultural victory the most fun. I think the theming mechanic is annoying but other than that I like the "fiddling" with seaside resorts, national parks and possible unique tile improvements. I find I'm the most active and preplanning when doing the cultural victory.

I mean, domination and religious also keep you active in a way but yeah... they turn into slogs.

For R&F I also find cultural victory the most fun. I think the theming mechanic is annoying but other than that I like the "fiddling" with seaside resorts, national parks and possible unique tile improvements. I find I'm the most active and preplanning when doing the cultural victory.

I mean, domination and religious also keep you active in a way but yeah... they turn into slogs.

Exactly. Science is just
*build/buy spaceport
*build/rush project (repeat x times)
*optionally optimize with Great People

It is the dullest.

True, although FXS could mitigate this by helping the AI to cheat a little. I mean, it already cheats with say gold maintenance (I think the AI basically just ignores maintenance).

Perhaps depending on difficulty, the AI should probably get some sort of buffs to loyalty and, after GS, probably to resources.

Loyalty buffs would be extremely unfair to Eleanor and Lautaro.

At least with science victory I do something and the AI to some degree knows how to do it. Domination is extremely boring due to the fact that the AI is not good enough for that. Culture is technically also "just building something" like science victory but since it is not that particularly hard to full your buildings with stolen goods, it feels like taking candy from a baby. I would wish that the AI would be more offensive, stealing things back (we can only hope). I tried to do the religious victory once but it felt just like some tedious monotony work.

I do hope that the various victories has been changed enough and the AI understand them at least enough so they feel fun doing.

couldn't disagree more, science victory is the most boring to me. I mean besides religious victory, but no one goes for religious victory.

Domination is fun too sometimes, but I do on occasion get tired of beating up on the poor AI.

I'm the opposite. I think Science Victory is the best and Domination is the most boring. Culture starts great and then gets dull near the end. I don't mind Religious Victory and it's my most common victory.

IMO it would be a lot better if difficulty was increased by loyalty debufs to the player, for example cities further from your capital would get negative loyalty based on distance above Prince, and the penalty would be higher on higher levels. It would be like city maintenance in Civ4, except that with good empire management you could counter the negative effects and you could still expand.

But IIRC the design team decided that they would not give penalties to the player at higher levels, just bonuses to the AI.

Huh. I find cultural victory to just be the default. It just happens unless extra effort is spent doing the science or military victory.

Really none of the victory types are interesting or engaging. Even more than the AI, its the game's biggest flaw. The last 20% of the game has the longest turns, but the least engaging game play. Watching some of the previews with youtubers, I'm not sure that has changed enough with GS

Watching Marbozir's stream on youtube. I'm glad to see him use the Dido's loyalty mechanic in powerful and creative ways.

Also interesting to see the World Congress has trade route resolutions.

One of them gives you an additional trade route (and gold to those who send to you). The B side is international trade route embargo.
Another gives bonus city state yields if you send a trade route to that city state (per type). The B side is suzerain doesnt provide bonuses to this type.

This is gonna be really interesting. I'm glad diplomacy is so relevant now.

They could just put in something like total city loyalty pressure +50% on deity. Which basically means the AI cancels out AI but human player has much harder time with things.

They could just put in something like total city loyalty pressure +50% on deity. Which basically means the AI cancels out AI but human player has much harder time with things.

I think the way to do it on higher difficulties would be to vary or scale the bonuses based on eg Era or continents.

So, players get an additional % negative during dark ages, and the AI gets an additional % during their own golden ages. And or players get -% loyalty on foreign continents.

Basically, if you get it wrong, or try to overreach, you get hit way harder on higher difficulties.

Huh. I find cultural victory to just be the default. It just happens unless extra effort is spent doing the science or military victory.

Really none of the victory types are interesting or engaging. Even more than the AI, its the game's biggest flaw. The last 20% of the game has the longest turns, but the least engaging game play. Watching some of the previews with youtubers, I'm not sure that has changed enough with GS

I think Cultural Victory is quite fun, but get the push back. If they even link tourism with loyalty, trade and or diplomatic favour, then I think culture victory would quickly become really really fun.

I think the way to do it on higher difficulties would be to vary or scale the bonuses based on eg Era or continents.

So, players get an additional % negative during dark ages, and the AI gets an additional % during their own golden ages. And or players get -% loyalty on foreign continents.

Tying it to golden ages would be an interesting way to go. I definitely think in general a more 'dynamic' implementation the difficulty bonuses could make the game more interesting/varied without them having to rely on their AI coding. I.e. I'd love if they added in difficulty scaling bonuses to the secondary agendas as well (i.e. on deity the AI that got airpower got 50% off aerodome and planes, cultural gets 50% off theater squares/buildings, etc.).

As I said in other threads, the problem is that they designed them as victory paths, not as a cohesive system.

The last 20% of the game has the longest turns, but the least engaging game play. Watching some of the previews with youtubers, I'm not sure that has changed enough with GS

At the beginning of the game, you make a small number of very important decisions each turn.

By the end of the game, you're making a large number of mostly irrelevant decisions each turn.

This is one of the issues at the heart of why the game bogs down, and is one Firaxis hasn't yet tried to seriously address. Adding new mechanics and things to do in the late eras, when layered on top of all the other mouse clicks required to reach End Turn, just makes those turns even longer.

Potato finished his cultural victory on turn 213. And yeah this civ is way powerful. Funny side effect is he generally doesn't need that many builder chargers since he wasn't improving many tiles. A lumbermill is worse than the unimproved forest. At least until Steel (which then it will be equivalent I believe). The fishing boat culture bomb is actually quite handy and gets you closer to other sea resources in many cases.

Of course his map was tailored towards Maori dominance. Sweden really had no chance at those great people in his game. Definitely like that push to conservation strategy to plant forests.

Sounds like he might do Mali on deity which I would really enjoy seeing.

Top Bottom