[GS] Livestreamer Previews Discussion Thread

He was in an unnecessary rush to settle, I'll give that. The spot he chose... One hex over and he'd have had a +5 adjacency harbor spot, and great fishing boat locations.

As it is, his capital doesn't have a lot to work with on sea or land, long term its very, very mediocre.

True, but he is playing an island map, so a landmass large enough to fit a bunch of districts on and still have room for the glorious rainforest yields would be hard to come by, especially when you start mid-ocean and the best spots are otherwise occupied. I'm more irritated that he placed his second city too far from Galapagos.

I'm guessing he is eventually going to conquer the Inca and then he will have proper land to use for districts.

Has any livestreamer encountered Nazca / made use of their lines?
I have seen it in the Marb Mali game to the left of his capital, Just could not see stats, he kept jumping many turns.
Marbz keeps saying Auckland is new...
This is quite an entertaining thread. Hopefully the live streamers are not reading it.

Yikes. Not only could he be banking another 6 culture per turn with Pingala, he's sawed through a full builder (3 charges) creating fisheries he'll never need (lower screen) while leaving 3 lux resources unimproved (upper screen) :hammer2:.

It bugs me how he passed up a great harbor adjacency on the tile one to the right. I get that it puts you a bit farther away from the truffles, but I'd still do it. Am I crazy?

It bugs me how he passed up a great harbor adjacency on the tile one to the right. I get that it puts you a bit farther away from the truffles, but I'd still do it. Am I crazy?

Eh...it's a difference of +2 gold a turn. That alone won't make or break a game. It's more that a bunch small mistakes can compound into larger issues.

it's a difference of +2 gold a turn. That alone won't make or break a game
... certainly not but to clarify a +5 adjacency harbor (A rare thing)... place a government building next to it and its +7.... then slot the double harbour and add Reyna as harbourmaster and you get +21 gold a turn and +21 production with a shipyard.

... certainly not but to clarify a +5 adjacency harbor (A rare thing)... place a government building next to it and its +7.... then slot the double harbour and add Reyna as harbourmaster and you get +21 gold a turn and +21 production with a shipyard.

Yes it would be optimal to do all that but it's not vital to do so. You can do all that in his current game and still get +15 gold +15 production. There there is opportunity cost, when you get the governor/shipyard, etc.

Not exactly sure. What I can say is that he would have to have settled on the rainforest hill, which theoretically will become a source of culture and production going forward. I think, more to the point, he would have to forego that 5 food, 1 production, 1 gold fishery in order to build the harbor. He seems to like fisheries.

Last edited:
It’s funny because when I watch the streams I’m like “why are you doing that? WHY” and getting really angry at the small mistakes.

Then I play the games and make tons of the small mistakes and now I’m more conscious of it haha

It’s funny how it’s easier to see optimal paths when you are watching but not playing. For me anyways

Is it just me or do the game map textures/details look different...?

Yep, they mentioned they were doing an art pass over the whole game, probably upping resolution texture. Also I think they tweaked the sun's angle and positioning. I saw that in a few videos the sun coming FROM the camera, IIRC.

EDIT: Also the sun is moving all the time, I think it only changed during turns in R&F.

What's the science boost with Free Inquiry?

I don't think it makes or breaks the game. I just like a good adjacency bonus.

Free inquiry science equals adjacency. Youll typically have a minimum of 2 on barren coast and 3 with one resource.

More often than not I can find space for two resources though for up to 4.

Another coastal district, typically the Hub adds another 1. So 4-5 adjacency is reliably achieved really.

Hubs also get adjacency from Harbor and a bonus from Inquiry.

Throw in Reyna in your top adjacency for double the adjacency in both districts for some stupid science.

The combo is strong, and will be my preferred path for Phoenicia's early game to support early game expansion.

Last edited:
For the record, Marb acknowledged he was wrong in the comments section and he said he was merely excited (which I don't blame him, he's been showing tidbids of everything and he's like a kid in the candy story which I adore)

I confess, were I actually playing against any of the Live Feeders in a game, I'd have to keep reminding myself of the lovely old Quote from Napoleon:

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake..."

Yep, they mentioned they were doing an art pass over the whole game, probably upping resolution texture.

It's mostly fine, but the forests (and jungles) seem even more sparse now - there are hardly any trees on a tile with a forest and lumber mill. The christmas tree plantation look is worse than ever.. :(

For the record, Marb acknowledged he was wrong in the comments section and he said he was merely excited (which I don't blame him, he's been showing tidbids of everything and he's like a kid in the candy story which I adore)
I get the impression that the Livestreamers are just halfheartedly playing their games just to show off the new civs and new features, without worrying too much about playing perfectly. Once GS has been out for a bit and it's no longer shiny and new, they'll probably pay more attention and play more optimally in their Let's Plays.

Last edited:
It's mostly fine, but the forests (and jungles) seem even more sparse now - there are hardly any trees on a tile with a forest and lumber mill. The christmas tree plantation look is worse than ever.. :(

Maybe it has the High-Detail clutter option disabled?

Top Bottom