1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Livestreamer Previews Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Eagle Pursuit, Jan 31, 2019.

1. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

The @civgame Twitter just retweeted a couple of sites that said they will be livestreaming GS on Monday morning at 10am eastern.

So that's probably when the second part of the embargo drops.

CPWimmer and Seek like this.
  2. DJ_Tanner

DJ_Tanner Warlord

Actually the most interesting part of this thread for me. The following for some of these players is fascinating to me. Granted I have never really understood how popular streaming games has gotten, for Civ it makes absolutely zero sense to me on how it would be enjoyable. I get watching it from a demo perspective, but seeing this as a consistent, or at least semi-consistent thing is so odd. I feel like it would be watching others solve a crossword puzzle. It is slow moving and I would get incredibly frustrated at having no input.

3. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Warlord

The next big hit . . .

DOING YOUR TAXES: The Movie!

Kjimmet, WillowBrook and Depravo like this.
  4. shaglio

shaglio The Prince of Dorkness

I remember before Civ 6 was released I enjoyed watching a couple British dudes play the preview. Sure they didn't play well, but they well funny and entertaining. They promoted their Scout and renamed it Shrek & Donkey, for instance. I like that much more that watching somebody droning on about min/maxing to perfection.

EDIT: It was Yoggscast or something

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
    Elhoim likes this.
  5. Seek

Seek Chieftain Supporter

Good point, I hope so.

There are a few situations where I enjoy it:
    • When the player is really skilled and/or know the game mechanics better than you. I learned Civ IV from watching TheMeInTeam's masterful Let's Plays, for example, or when Starcraft 2 was big I was already too old to dream of competing, lol, so it was fun to watch the pros play it.
    • During livestreams, where you can directly talk to the streamer and discuss strategy and reasoning. Much more interactive than the Let's Play format.
    • White noise in the background while doing something else or going to sleep

6. IvoryPavane

IvoryPavane Chieftain

I do like it as background noise also when I’m doing other things

ChocolateShake likes this.
  7. Jewman

Jewman Chieftain

For whoever wanted to see hungary. Marbozir finally got around to it.

edit: wow i am just 10 min in but he rushed into levying the city states with amani and has a ton of super powered swordsmen very early. it is insane. 12 swordsman with 4 movement +5 combat strength by turn 70 lol.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  8. Seek

Seek Chieftain Supporter

Hungary gets better the higher the difficulty because of city-state bonuses - interesting!

Kjimmet, Julia97 and bbbt like this.
  9. UWHabs

UWHabs Warlord

Yeah, upgrading for free is too much. Even nerfed to 50% discount on upgrade would still be very strong, especially given the extra bonuses to the units AND the free envoys too.

10. Jewman

Jewman Chieftain

at least make them still cost their strategic resource requirement. 0 iron upgrade seems wrong.

11. bbbt

bbbt Warlord

I didn't even think that with Hungary's +2 envoys for levying, he can meet a CS first (1 envoy), move in amani, become suzerain, move amani to the next CS - but stay suzerain because of the plus 2. But yeah he just wiped out Sweden.

That's true the higher level the more units they'll have early.

12. UWHabs

UWHabs Warlord

Yeah, I mean, in that video, he spent 160 gold to get 4 warriors (upgraded to 4 swordsmen) PLUS 2 envoys, so you don't have to worry about losing suzerainty immediately either. Or you chain Amani, and you can basically create an unstoppable invincible army. Again, by turn 60 he had like 16 swordsmen, each of whom he did not pay maintenance for, and who got +2 moves and +5 strength. And you can just repeat every era. With smarter play, he could have split the army up and captured 2 or 3 other civs in that time.

DWilson and Jewman like this.
  13. pgm123

pgm123 Warlord

It's funny that the initial reaction was that Hungary was really weak because the AI doesn't leave City States alive.

DWilson likes this.
  14. IvoryPavane

IvoryPavane Chieftain

What is also funny is that one of his biggest rivals is probably lil old Tamar, who would have thought she’d have a best rival but her potential control of city states would put a crimp in his style.

Even if she hasn’t had any direct buffs (and she really should), she is definitely looking a lot better in this expansion- kind of like how France improved between vanila and R&F

ChocolateShake likes this.
  15. pgm123

pgm123 Warlord

I feel like my luck, with Hungary I'll find one City State before the Classical Era.

bbbt and CPWimmer like this.
  16. bbbt

bbbt Warlord

On higher levels especially, I think Hungary's game will vary widely whether they are the first to meet a CS or two for that free envoy. If they don't get that, it might be harder to grab suzerainship (and/or they'll need to prioritize CS quests)

17. Jewman

Jewman Chieftain

I think between meeting city-states first, easy quests like build spearman or eureka for bronze working, and amani, hungary should be able to lock down at least one early suzerainty pretty consistently

18. bbbt

bbbt Warlord

That's true, with the rate CS build warriors, one is probably enough to get the job done.

19. leandrombraz

leandrombraz Chieftain

Then the Amazon produce rain that fall here where I live. It doesn't seem fair, I feel like I'm stealing rain from the Sahara now...

20. AriochIV

AriochIV Analyst

The huge stat bonuses for Hungary's levied units along with the free upgrades and free envoys is a bit over the top.

You may be thinking of a different video... I just rewatched it and didn't see Nazca.