Ljosalfar vs. Amurites Cold War - will you advice me?

kokoboy

Chieftain
Intro:

I'm currently playing a long running PBEM game (I think it's like a year long by now) with a friend of mine. Terra map, fast speed, me playing with Ljosalfar and Amelanchier as a leader. Him, playing Amurites and Dain Caswallan as a leader. We've played for a long time with a non-agression pact, but we know that sooner or later, when we both agree or get rid of the CPU opponents, we will clash and fight each other.

We're now at the 214 turn. And I'm gradually starting to fear that he might beat my ass when the time of conflict comes. So what did I think, being a newbie to the game? Come and ask people at civfanatics for help! :blush:

I want to share the game with you and listen to your advice. I'll try to keep you updated on the game if it's interesting to you, just to see how things are running.

The Game:

OK, so the game map looks like this:

(click on it to enlarge, also if you can recommend a better hosting than imageshack I'll thank you)

The "political map" is like this (Cultural borders are somewhat blurry because of conquering and warfaring, but you can see it more clearly at the mini map):

I'm the Ljosalfar, green, on the west of the "Old World" as we like to call the continent. Illians are north-west to me, and Sidar north-east. On my east, it's my friend with the Amurites, purple color. To his east, there are the Basium, white colored, they are his vassalls. To the Basium's north, there are the Clan of Embers, losing territory fast to the Amurites, and to the north-east of the Clan of Embers, there are the Khazad, who used (up until one turn ago) to be the vassalls of the former.

On the "New world", ie, the other continent, I've got some cities and there are the Hyborem, corrupting a big part of the continent with their fires and broken lands.

In the islands to the south of the Old World, there is my vassall Decius with the Malakim, at their safe hideout since they were wiped out from the Old World from my friend (he styles himself "Lord of Fire"). I've also got two cities on the biggest one of those islands, because I saw two mana nodes and I wanted to get hold of them (I also wanted to have a forward base from where to monitor Lord of Fire from the south). And that's it, since the Balseraphs were destroyed by the Lord of Fire in an earlier war.

I've got solar, mind, fire, nature, life, body, air, metamagic and water mana.

Metamagic comes from the trade to Lord of Fire, in exchange of a nature mana of mine.

Mind and fire mana comes from Decius in exchange of a fire mana I have.

I'm also building an earth mana node as to build the tower of the elements.

(So I have in fact 2 nature and 2 fire mana).

The current situation in the game is quite complicated. I've been in an on/off war with Auric Ulvin for ages, although we are in a cease fire right now.

Sandalphon is a peaceful neighbour, usually sandwiched between Auric Ulvin and Sheelba, with whom I've traded quite a bit.

Basium doesn't even speak to me and is under control of Lord of Fire.

Ditto with Kandros under control of Sheelba, in the last turn he's become free again because of the War against the Orcs (I'll expand on that) but still doesn't like me.

Decius is a bit of stable, not advancing. He keeps researching whatever I tell him to, and trades with me some of his stuff.

The Hyborem in the New World declared war on me some turns ago and they marched with a huge Army of Darkness against Nueva Intranquilo Town. Luckily they were repelled by hastily hired mercenaries, along with druids and experienced champions (entangles is THE spell). THey, however, keep harassing my cities in the new world and hindering my growth there. I don't send my main army there because it takes a while to get there and things could get "hot" in the Old World while they are there.

The Lord of Fire and I started playing as kind of allies, trading technologies, resources, etc. Now we're in a kind of cold war setting, with no agressions allowed, but not cooperating. We haven't defined to the exact detail the extent of our non agression pact (more on this later, on the War against the Orcs), but what is generally agred on is that we can't attack each other unless we decide we are allowed to do so on mutual consensus and leaving a buffer turn time (we've talked about 10 turns after we agree about it). And we know that sooner or later we'll come to blows, of course.

This is my trade screen with Lord of Fire, so you can see that he clearly has the advantage technology wise:

The War against the Orcs and the Pillaing Incident:

Sheelba was until now one of the major powers of the Old World, but she came into conflict with Lord of Fire and is receiving a serious beating. She has already lost most of her cities, including her capital, to Lord of Fire's armies.

I thought about taking advantage and attacking her as to take some of her cities and not allow Lord of Fire to take them, so he wouldn't grow too powerful. Unfortunately, I've got a peace treaty with her that still has 3 turns to go, and she has already lost most of her cities as I said. Even the Khazad broke their vassall pact with them Orcs.

The Pillaging Incident involved my troops on the border of the newly conquered cities by Lord of Fire. Roaming no-man's land, I decided that if I couldn't get a hold of those Orc cities, I might as well make some money out of the conflict. As the towns and farms where in no-man's land (because the newly conquered cities were still revolting and hadn't projected their cultural borders) I pillaged a lot of those tiles. However when I sent the turn, Lord of Fire told me what he considered that to be a violation of our non-agression pact and that his cities as soon as they would rever to their non-revolution state, would starve and become smaller, and that he was going to declare war on me and kill my troops.

I told him that I didn't know he would consider that to be an infringement of our non-agression pact, and as my troops were scattered and not ready to battle (I had a big stack all scattered around nearby tiles to pillage them in just one turn), I would replay the turn and not pillage them. In all honesty, I considered that a bit of a dick move, since you can't compare the damage done to you by pillaging tiles around newly conquered cities to destroying your main army because it's in a weak state (as I said, all scattered and not buffed up for combat, not fortified, etc).

So now I'm determined to build a decent opposition to Lord of Fire and come back on him. :mad:

My Royal Advisors: You.

My domestic advisor screen looks like this:

I'm currently researching Strength of will.

As I said I'm building an Earth mana node so I an build a Tower of the Elements on Guillecity, my capital.

On Guillecity I'm currently building a Network of Ears and Eyes (sorry if that's not the correct names, I've got the Spanish version of the mod, hopefully you'll understand which wonder is which).

On Tropicalia I'm building the Bloof of the Phoenix ritual, because I want to be the one to get it before Lord of Fire and so all my troops can get the immortal promotion.

I'm thinking of building the Soul Forge on Un Abrazo Ville as to boost it a little bit, but it's got a bit of an unhealthy penalty, so I don't know if it's too wise to do it?

My militarly advisor screen looks like this on my troops:

And on Lord of Fire's troops that I can see:

Basically, while he overscores me in militarly might and in researched technologies, I've got more culture and better production. Also my religion (FoL) is followed by more people than his (Empyrean).

The thing is that, from what I've seen, he's got a lot of Vicars, Firebows, Champions, he's got chariots, archmages, crossbowmen, mages, and on top of that, his Basium allies.

Meanwhile I've got druids, beastmasters, lot of longbowmen (my main defence line), Yvain and Gillen Silveric, some champions, horsemen and lots of adepts (16), but just one mage with fireball. I don't know why my adepts gain experience so slowly, which makes me wonder if I'm doing something wrongly.

He can throw a lot of fireballs to soften up defences on cities and then attack and conquer them easily (that's how he's beating Sheelba's ass, as far as I know). Govannon is involved in all of this, because I'm not too sure what he's capable of, but I think he might teach Fire magic to his units so that's the way he gets lots of fireballs.

I'm afraid of that because he's next to me and if the time to wage war arrives, he can easily burn all my forest and even if I cast my world spell, he would be able to summon my treants to ash as they are vulnerable to fire.

On the other hand, I don't know wether to attack Auric Ulvin or Hyborem. Hyborem are weaker, but I know that if I attack them, first I have to travel to the New World (thus leaving me weakened on the Old World) and each blow I deal to them reduces the Armaggeddon Counter. Is the AC counter going up good for me or what? From what I know it expands broken lands territory so I was hoping that it would crept up on Lord of Fire's kingdom while I'm able to vitalize (with Yvain) my territory and keep it nice and clean.

Auric Ulvin looks tougher to beat, but he's maybe my best option to expand to the west.

So, how could I prepare to battle against Lord of Fire?

If you want more info about the game or anything, feel free to ask.

Thanks a lot in advance!

I didn't read the full text but I'll say something about the armegeddon clock etc. As elves you typically don't want the armageddon clock to increase as it destroys forests. It won't get into your lands but anywhere you conquer might be deforested and that won't be to your advantage. Whatever benefit you might get from the armageddon counter you can be sure Hyborem is getting double.

The longer Basium and Hyborem are in the game the more powerful they typically get. You certainly don't want them gaining countless free units from wars between other nations. The distribution of your cities will certainly work against you as all your opponents seem to have something to gain by attacking you.

You're right, I didn't have in mind that Hyborem get units from evil civ units killed... so that ongoing harassment he's inflicting on me might actually be fueled by the orcs killed in the War against the Orcs waged by Lord of Fire!

That's what I like about Fall From Heaven, it lets you roleplay, D&D style. So right now my elven kingdom must do something to oppose the expansion of hellish forces...

Hellish forces also, but You should do something to keep Basium in check... the more time elapses, the stronger would be this steadfast ally of Lord Fire

Yeah, the problem is that I can't attack Basium without getting into war with Lord of Fire. What could I do to try to bring them down?

Also, if I convert Rosier the Fallen and control him (with a druid and his conversion ability), will he disappear next turn because I don't have Ashen Veil religion?

I would suggest playing purely defensive vs Lord of Fire, if it comes to that. Take the adepts into war and get them some experience that way against half-dead units. With haste and some nasty damage spells, you might have a chance of holding him off. Maybe try to win via Altar of the Lounatar. Military victory is gonna be really tough. Culture probably isn't gonna happen if you haven't been going for it yet. Maybe possible to sneak in Tower of Mastery, but he'll probably build at least one of them. Just my two cents worth.

what kind of economy are you using? with all those longbows you should be a hard nut to crack. if you're going aristocracy, you could just hide behind your walls and he's going to have a bad time. if you're cottaging everything though, that would be a terrible choice.

I would suggest playing purely defensive vs Lord of Fire, if it comes to that. Take the adepts into war and get them some experience that way against half-dead units. With haste and some nasty damage spells, you might have a chance of holding him off. Maybe try to win via Altar of the Lounatar. Military victory is gonna be really tough. Culture probably isn't gonna happen if you haven't been going for it yet. Maybe possible to sneak in Tower of Mastery, but he'll probably build at least one of them. Just my two cents worth.

I thought the towers were national wonders?

You're playing an old version (as [to_xp]Gekko mentioned), so everything said here is subject to being completely wrong due to changes in the mod:

Your army is very small compared to the number of cities you have. My impression is that his army is much larger. If that is correct, then you will lose a war.

You are in a very bad situation:
• His Empyrean units that you kill will return as Angels for Basium, and keep their experience.
• Auric at your back is dangerous. If he is able to bribe Auric into attacking you with him, then you'll be fighting a two-front war (with too few units to win even one of the fronts, as it stands now). You can not afford to attack Auric, however, because if you do then your friend may declare war and put you into the same situation. If possible you should try to improve your relations with Auric.
• Casting your world spell will at best delay his advance, because his army will be able to just move away from the bulk of your Treants (or just kill them, like you said); it will also damage your economy at a critical time due to food shortages. It would be best to cast it after he is deep in your territory, but he is likely to take your border cities first and so may never be deep enough to make it worthwhile. The exception would be if you were able to damage his attack force significantly with your regular units; then casting your world spell so that the treants can kill the stack off might be a worthy trade.

Forget about the 'new world'. It is unimportant at this point. It could serve as a refuge, if you lose all your 'old world' cities, but if you reach that situation you will have effectively lost the game anyway. This game will be decided in the 'old world'.

You need to create a situation in which his combat force must be split. The best way to do this is to build up a force of mounted units, and station groups of them all along his border. When war breaks out, charge them all into his territory and pillage improvements as quickly as possible. He must then choose to press the attack (which will leave your mounted units free reign to ruin his economy and thus his war effort), or break off some of the units to devote to stoping your raiding units (which will weaken his ability to capture your cities). Destroying his economy is the best chance you've got, but even a reduction of the size of the army approaching your cities would be helpful.

Next, you need to prepare to eliminate his support units. I recommend heavy investment in Assassins. They will be able to strike at his combat stack as it approaches your cities, and then perhaps withdraw to safety. They should also be able to attack before his AoE damage can hit them, which will be vital to your success. Killing his catapults and Mages is vital if you are to survive his attack.

Finally, you need to get some AoE damage of your own. If the AC is low (<25) then you should seriously consider converting to Ashen Veil and building Ritualists. They are the easiest source of AoE damage. If that is not an option, then Mages with Maelstrom is your next best choice (although Adepts take time to mature into Mages - time you may not have). AoE damage will be vital to fending off his attacking stack; your defenders will be damaged by his spells, and if you do not also damage him before combat then he will slaughter you.

If you are able to turn the tide of the war, such that you can go on the offense, then you need to defeat Basium first. Until he is eliminated your friend will be effectively building units at half-cost.

-------------

None of this is likely to matter, however. By backing down over the 'pillaging incident' you informed him that you are weaker than him and not prepared for a war. He would be a fool not to declare war once his war with the Clan has ended, and I don't think that will give you enough time to make adequate preparations to save yourself.

Thanks for the advice guys!

Empitness, you raised interesting points. Let me make something clear though: the "Pillaging Incident" wasn't really backing down on my part because of overall weakness, but because my units were all scattered and not really in "war ready" situation. That is, I didn't think they could be attacked by anyone (since I considered my pillaging not to break the non agression pact, and no other civ had nearby units). Therefore, they weren't fortified, buffed or anything, and were easy prey.

He has erradicated the Clan at this turn, but we can't declare war on each other without previous consensus, and then leaving a reasonable amount of turns for both of us to prepare. We discussed about breaking the pact before the war with the Clan he had, and we had agreed on leaving at least 10 turns from the moment we broke it, until DoW was allowed (not enforced, but rather, that it would be legit to do it).

Your pillaging strategy with mounted units sounds really good, since my leader has got the raider trait and I think I could harm his economy.

This last turn Sandalphon asked me to become my vassall, and a Ljosalfar revolt happened at a border town with Lord of Fire. Auric is slowly starting to become more friendly to me, and he has even asked to open up borders, but I don't know if I should do it.

As per the formalities of our pact of non-agression I have explained, I had thought it wouldn't be as crazy as I first thought to ship my main army to the New World and erradicate the Hyborem from there, conquering their cities. That way I could have a nice continent all for me to supply me with troops for an upcoming war. What do you think? I just repelled an attack by the Hyborem in which Rosier the Fallen was killed by one of my immortals and I also killed a beastmaster, diseased corpses and a chariot. His (Hyborem's) main army is still there, but I signed a cease fire with him.

I started building the Tower of Elements and am vitalizing my terrain and building Flurries so they benefit from the Blood of the Phoenix which is due to be done in 5 turns.

So what I don't know is wether to go to the New World and destroy the Hyborem or build up an army and conquer the Illians. As I said, Lord of Fire can't declare war on me yet, so he's not an inmediate danger. The thing is, if I go and try to conquer the Hyborem, he might declare war on the Illians and conquer their cities, becoming even bigger and surrounding my territories. I might be able to block him by cancelling our open borders agreement and telling Sandalphon to block him too, but maybe he can go via sea.

However, if I attack the Illians, all their evil units might be reborn as Hyborem and keep pestering my cities in the New World. Also the Illians are stronger than the Hyborem.

I might take a shot at the Tower of Mastery aim. Thing is that, even if I have a lot of manas, I'd still need to dispel some nodes and rebuild them as different mana to get all those needed, and I don't have a mage with metamagic yet.

Anyway I'm eager to listen to what you might have to say about it. If you want screenshots or anything else, just ask. :D

Also, the AC is on 39 so I think it would be better to try to get Malestorm and Fireballs?

Just remembered of an odd plan I have in case the eventual war breaks out. Let's call it Operation Neptune. There's this small, 2 population malakim city in one of the southern islands, named Dehaniel or something like that. OK, that's the closest city there is to a shore from the Lord of Fire's domains. The thing is that Lord of Fire's only fire mana node is located right at the seaside tile. So I thought I maybe could go and leave a couple of man'o wars and queens of the line at Dehaniel, with some longbowmen in them, a druid with bloom and some workers. If the war breaks out, my ships could go and unload the troops at that specific tile, raze the mana node, cast bloom to get a forest there (as to get the defensive bonus for my longbowmen), fortify the longbowmen and then build a castle with the workers.

That would leave him without fire mana, and make it impossible for him to burn my forests and treans.

EDIT: never mind just saw that the amurite's palace gives him fire mana :(

Anyway, Emtpiness, maybe I could apply your pillaging strategy via ships? I mean, getting the mounted units from both my borders and also from ships unloading, as to deploy them in spots very far away from each other, as to make it difficult to him to hunt them down. That way I could pillage him and try to hurt his economy even more. I know for a fact he's not rich, as in GNP charts he scores well below me.

[to_xp]Gekko;8890690 said:
what kind of economy are you using? with all those longbows you should be a hard nut to crack. if you're going aristocracy, you could just hide behind your walls and he's going to have a bad time. if you're cottaging everything though, that would be a terrible choice.

No, I have Republic :blush:

That would leave him without fire mana, and make it impossible for him to burn my forests and treans.

Any mages already promoted with fire magic can continue to gain fire promotions and cast fire spells. Govannon almost certainly has fire magic and can teach it to every unit. Firebows start with fire magic. In short, expect some fire coming your way. Pillaging his magic nodes is a good idea though if you can do it without much risk and can keep them pillaged.

Apart from converting to Ashen Veil, I'd agree with Emptiness. Use your raider ability, assassins, fast moving horsemen, and shadows to slow down his advance. Make him afraid to move his mages into your forest. Having the Nox Noctis to hide units within national borders will be important. Do you know where the CoE holy city is?

With the AC at 39 you definitely do not want to use AV, as you will quickly lose all of your forests. Maelstrom is the way to go.

Preparing a naval invasion force of pillagers is a good idea too. The more places you threaten him the more potential there is for his troops to become divided (and the more dispersed the damage you do will be). Your ships can also pillage/blockade after your pillagers have been landed. If his navy is weak then it will take him time to respond to your blockades.

If you focus on Hyborem you will have fewer troops in the 'old world', and your main empire will be vulnerable. The idea of a safe continent full of cities supplying troops for your war on the other one is nice, but you don't have time to defeat the Infernals and develop a continent worth of new cities before you and your friend come to blows. I suggest you improve the defense of your border cities on that continent and then use what cities you have there to make units for your war with the Amurites.

If you attack the Illians you may make the Infernals stronger. Honestly, having your friend attack the Illians would be a blessing. I think you should make nice with the Illians (open borders, trade/gift resources and techs, everything you can) and build your armies. If he attacks the Illians then declare war on him, which will put you and the Illians in a mutual war, which will improve your relations further. Avoiding a situation in which you are at war with both the Amurites and the Illians is critical. Having them on your side might be just the boost you need.

Also, do whatever you can to help out your vassals. Gift them any techs your friend has but they do not. Consider stationing some units to bolster their defenses in cities which border the Amurites. You want them to be as helpful as they can be when war comes.

whoa Emptiness, if the AC were lower you would really convert to AV to get ritualists and lose a highly promoted Yvain? I know ritualists are kickass but I'd never give up my Yvain :lol:

As you guys seem to think that waging war against the Illians or Hyborem would be counterproductive, should I then settle the lands in the New World not yet claimed?

I'm saying because I want to have more cities than Lord of Fire, and he recently got a bunch of new ones from Clan of Embers.

But maybe getting more cities might stagnate my economy?

I'm saying because I want to have more cities than Lord of Fire, and he recently got a bunch of new ones from Clan of Embers.

I suspect the game will be won or lost in the next round of conflict. Building anything anywhere will need to bring you benefits in that conflict or else it might be wasting your time. If you really think you've enough time to grow those new cities and make them add value then that would become the better strategy.

[to_xp]Gekko;8892867 said:
whoa Emptiness, if the AC were lower you would really convert to AV to get ritualists and lose a highly promoted Yvain? I know ritualists are kickass but I'd never give up my Yvain :lol:
Yvain can't be everywhere, but you could have Ritualists all over the place. Their total effect on the war effort would probably be greater. His friend has Chalid, and nicely promoted or not Chalid > Yvain. Ritualists would tip the scales if he were able to force the war to be fought in many small battles all over, rather than one massive confrontation (in which Chalid decimates his entire army before combat even begins). However, I'll readily admit that converting to AV would be a desperate measure - but once some Ritualists have been built he could convert back, and rebuild Yvain (although naturally starting over with no xp).

Incidentally, I assume the Lord of Fire is still of neutral alignment. It might be worth converting to Order, at least temporarily, just to change your alignment to good. Then you would not have to worry about the rising AC, and in fact could work to raise it, to hurt your friend (his lands would change once the AC got high enough). Just don't hinge your strategy around this, because he can always switch his alignment to good as well.

As you guys seem to think that waging war against the Illians or Hyborem would be counterproductive, should I then settle the lands in the New World not yet claimed?

If you knew exactly when the war will happen then you could decide whether you have time to make that worthwhile. Since you don't know, it is a big gamble. The production you spend on Settlers, and units to defend those cities, is an investment. A new city takes time to develop to the point that it can repay its own cost. With war imminent, I feel that you are better off investing that production in military units that will directly increase your chance of winning the war.

Another point is that if you fill up all the space in the new world then Hyborem will certainly attack you, because that will be the only method of expansion available to him.

Top Bottom