LK168, Greece, Sid Attempt

It is looking like my worry about enough time is turning into a non-issue. :)

Played a bunch today and I am on the fifth and final turn that I will play. We took out the Scandinavian cities in a turn and are zeroing in on their settler at sea.

Brazil is the last civ that started on our continent and we are taking their cities. The next turn set will get to launch the attack onto the other continent after finishing off the rest of Brazil (should take a turn or two).

Plan to finish up tomorrow.

Should we maybe standardize on 5-turn sets at this stage of the game?
Maybe with a few exceptions. Like if all you did for 2-3 turns in a row was move troops by sea and worker landscaping, if the player "with the dice" wants to they should be able to consider than small set of turns as 1 turn not 3.

Noticed something new: If F3 is very slow, it can be due to a lot of units in one city. Switch from city to unit view can make it respond faster.

This happens to me because I like using H to jump to the capital and move healing units there so I can see them more easily.

I may have known this in the past, but had forgotten it (sounds vaguely familiar)

# of turns is up to you. A shorter set comes with a trade off. I find the first turn takes a lot of time to get familiar with the map.

Preturn:
Planted a spy with Turkey since you can't place one after the last town is gone. No settler issue for them.

Also risked a spy with Japan which succeeded. I want to see what units they have.
Accidentally hit enter so did nothing more than this in the preturn.

IBT: Watch Turkey fight both Brazil and Scandanavia.

1889 AD:
Place a town to work on reaching the town mentioned that is past Britain. Requires great artist.
Bad RNG on Turkish capital costs us 3 speed 3 units including 2 Elite vs a single def 5 musket.

Bursa is more heavily defended than the Capital and also costs us 3 units.

We are also able to capture Izmet with a single loss.

The Turks have 3 cities now but we won't be able to take out Harlington which I spot on the other Continent. They likely built it recently.

Two careful attempts at stealing tech failed. Our Magreb spy was caught and I was not able to replace it.

IBT: South Africa is destroyed by Australia

1890 AD: We build another town and a long road to remove the two smaller Turkish cities.
Even with a lot of scientists, I think it would be 12+ turns, so not turning science on. We can try a steal on Magreb later. May end up spending money on non-tech things as I don't have civ assist to tell me if Magreb has the next tec.
In one turn I think a peace treaty with Scandanavia will come up again so will declare war then.

We were running low on Settlers to I rushed settler production in tactical cities and set them to abandon.

IBT: Valencia deposes us. This may not be a bad thing because I can plant a spy if they have a city.

1891: We attempt to plant a spy with Spain but fail. I do sink a clipper however, so try taking Valencia. This time they are eliminated so the clipper did have the settler.

Unfortunately, the attempt to plant a spy in Scandanavia failed. So I steal plans instead (which works for 1330 gold) and can now see what units they have which does in fact include a settler at sea. It is still close to our continent but not in a place we have boats. I build Ship Chaser DX and Ship Chaser ZX to rush boats to reach it. (We have captured some towns nearby but they have resisters and coastal ones are farther away). Two more boats were also rushed as backup.

This is actually the first time I am trying this strategy (spy attempt fail+ enough cash for steal plans + Settler off coast + place 2 towns with rushed Cruisers). The tricky part will be once war is declared, I will not be able to steal plans again, so I have to try to track the boat. It should be Speed 4 (slowest unit) so our Speed 8 can hopefully keep it in sight. (Note to self: move balloons to nearby towns).

Here is an image of my attempt:
LK168_AD1891a.png

Seeing all units before I attack is also really nice for planning. Scandanavia has 6 cities. Two have mountains in our direction so not sure if I can reach.

Capture isolated city of Nykoping first. Uppsala is captured with the loss of two tanks. Stockholm costs us a tank and one Horse Artillery. Tactical town reaches Linkoping with 1 loss. Another Tactical town gets us to Orebro which we also capture with one loss.
Finally, we capture Gavle losing a Armored Car to a Pike.

I abandon Ankara because the town is too hard to reach (pass through British territory)

1892 AD: Also abandon city I built to reach Ankara. It is too close to the Brittish cities and would cause them to declare war if we kept it.

Capture Cirta for 5500+ gold from Magreb.

We are getting closer to the final part of the game so I concentrate on Military builds for towns with shields (admin center and courthouse for newer cities).

Brazil's units are already moving toward/into our territory as they are going after an Italian City on the continent. I declare war with Brazil

We first capture Vaxjo without loss. I next build Sonica Says to reach Salonika and capture it losing 2 tanks. The city is next to some large stacks that I can't kill this turn. I use Artillery and such to selectively kill 8 speed 2 Hussars Once I take the next city, I will abandon the town leaving the big stacks with nothing to attack.
Capture Belem which is past Salonika. This Belem and Sonica Says both use great Artists to the large stacks cannot use the roads near them.
LK168_AD1892.png

Spent 3k to rush some more steam rollers in our largest cities.

IBT: We lost our Destroyer near the Vikings to Brazil Naval Units.

1893 AD: Bombard Viking boats but not enough to expose the Settler. Move more Airpower to help. Rush another Destroyer in case our current one is lost.

For the Brazil war, We first Capture Rio de Janeiro. Build Tatical town and capture Recife without loss. Then we capture Belo losing a tank (Vickers).
For the capital we lose one Tank before capturing it. Capital had a Settler type unit so just made one.

Curitabita more to the north has a bunch off worker units when we capture it. Porto Alegre is capture losing another Tank.
We just barely have sufficient units to capture fortaleza as well.

Notes:
In the image below the Viking boat stack has the settler. Viking Chaser DX has our air force and should bombard the stack until the Merchantman is on top then we can sink with a cruiser and eliminate the Vikings. Brazil has several Naval Units nearby so Viking Chaser DX rushed a cruiser in case the nearby sink. There are also "back up" cruisers a few turns east.
LK168_AD1893a.png

Brazil has 7 towns left. 3 are in reach of Speed 3 units which are healing this turn in our capital. 2 more can be reached after we take those 3. The final two have forest defending them. Harly can attack them if we are 1 forest away which is true for Santos now (need a road) and could be done for Guarulos. Not sure if we have sufficient Harly units to take them - It may be worth a bit of gold to investigate the city to see if there are few defenders.

Note that cities still have one to three Vallista and then Pike defenders. They were clearly low on gold for upgrades. They also still have their large stacks that I have been ignoring.
LK168_AD1893b.png

Magreb still will not allow us to plant a spy. We have 20k to spend if they did have the WW2 boat tech.

For Japan, Nagasaki is 4 turns away so I think we should head for Shimonoseki (smaller so less defense) or Tokyo for our beach head which is only 3 away. I think we have sufficient boats since we can airlift non-tanks.

We have two artists next to the capital.

Attachments

• LK168-1893AD.SAV
    1.7 MB · Views: 8
Got it

Early set teaser:

For Japan, Nagasaki is 4 turns away so I think we should head for Shimonoseki (smaller so less defense) or Tokyo for our beach head which is only 3 away. I think we have sufficient boats since we can airlift non-tanks.
Based on the Super Dreadnought (same movement rate as a Steamer) guarding the coastal waters next to Da Nang, Napasaki is 3 turns away (19 sea tiles + 2 coastal tiles). Edo and Kyoto are also 3 turns away (18 sea tiles + 2 coastal tiles). An interesting place for the invasion to land would be 1 tile away from Izuma (also 3 turns away) in the direction of Nagasaki, where we could instantly build a town and rush a barracks, followed by a rushed harbor and when we raze Izumo gain access to wines (after we build a road).

Yes, next to the city is 3 away. I think it better to go for 3 location because you want to load the units in the city so they can then get on the next boat and then the next and land. After the initial drop off 3 ship stacks chains across in one turn but not for Nagasaki.

Another teaser:

After the initial drop off 3 ship stacks chains across in one turn but not for Nagasaki.
After the initial invasion the only use for the steamers is going to be transporting more tanks since everything else can be airlifted. (I am not sure about Steamrollers).
I believe ship chaining is an exploit and will not use it.
The coastal tile with the pearl between Kyoto and Tokyo is the Shortest distance to Japan from Da Nang.

What a rare view of a Dive Bomber, a Light Cruiser WW2 and a Harley Scout in your screenshots. I like to see such units, that never appeared before in your succession games. :)

The main action begins:

I have decided ship chaining is not an exploit in my book. In any case in Shimonoseki or towns other than Nagasaki is better even without chaining. There is only 2 spots you need to defend as compared to 3 for Nagasaki so more defenders per exposed boat. I don't see any difference major difference in the cities; we will take out Japan anyway.

I just noticed how much of a wonder hog Carthage is:

1893 AD (0)
We've finally hit the end game stage. 159 cities and 27.4% land. There are WAY too many cities with resistors. I need to kill the settler on a boat to break some of them. The Inca have left the game, but still have some resistors.

We are NOT ready to invade the other continent yet. It looks like there is a shortage of infantry. I'm hoping to get a better feel once Brazil is gone. I'm planning to draft some infantry to get warm bodies into our interior cities. Looking at the map, I notice no airfields.

We are close enough to winning that I am not going to worry about any more steals. I'd rather rush settlers, troops, etc. I'm going to let all deals expire.
(IT) Lowlands and England sign an MPP.
The AI bombards several of our cities.
A lot of Brazil units appear by Fortaleza.
I watch massive troop from Brazil.
I start to settler abandon some of the tactical cities.
Egypt declares war on the Arabs.

Top Bottom