LK65 - Demigod - world map

Yeuchh! I don't like our hemmed-in starting area much at all. On the bright side, we don't have to worry about Barbs much! :p
I notice the Victory Status screen awards us with a nice, fat zero percent of the world area! I guess we have a long ways to go...
Preturn: I go ahead and get HBR + 120 Gold from Egypt for Writing. There is a nice trading opportunity between the French and the Mongols with monopoly techs, but we are too poor to be a broker. :(
Bombay switched to a settler, as we are screwed anyway if anyone invades.
1225 BC (1) Mongols start Great Library. Argentinians complete the Oracle. Block Persian settler. Our Curragh sees an Orange Border in the distance! Sell HBR to Greeks for 165 gold. Joan is doubtful when offered 333 gold and HBR and Writing for Poly. If only we had some gpt, we could have swung a sweet brokering deal.
1200 BC (2) Bunch of Wonder Build announcements. Buy a worker from Egypt for 115 gold.

1175 BC (3) Make contact with the Australians. They are backwards, of course, but are also dirt poor! :cry: Broker opportunity gone, as Joan traded around Polytheism. Don't buy a Mongol worker, as the dept hole might be too bad.

1150 BC (4) Curragh starts heading North along Indonesian Islands. Code of Laws breaks and is already widely known.

1125 BC (5) Our Settler pair is barely winning the race to the Gems site. Warrior is blocking off the Iron site for now.

1100 BC (6) Delhi(Granary->Settler) Bombay (Settler-> Barracks) The news just keeps getting better...Persians complete Statue of Zeus. No brokering opportunities. We are really getting buried in the tech race. At least we aren't the worst off (Greece, China, and Australia)

1075 BC (7) Madras (Temple-Horseman) D'oh! China beat us to the Gems spot. Settler will continue towards the guarded Iron spot on the Shanghai? Penninsula.

1050 BC (8) Nuttin' much.

1025 BC (9) France completes the Pyramids in Paris. That is sort of good news (at least it is on our landmass) for a much later age.

1000 BC (10) Exploring Europe and the big empty Siberia. Settler is on way South to Iron, Another Settler is near possible spots on our own Indian Sub-continent. Road is almost complete to Incense. Curragh is heading North towards Japan. We probably ought to build another soon to send in the same direction because Barb ships are going to hit soon.
***To next leader!*** China has 3! workers for sale, which we could get for HBR. I was kind of hoping to get a 2-fer opportunity for it though, but this might be too good a deal to pass up. It is also probable that the Mongols and Chinese are at war. The Mongols are *huge* They could sneeze and blow us away. We have 9 turns left on our Mongols gpt deal.

The Game at 1000 BC (in a big-time Diety hole)
(Note. Still on 1.15 version.)

(Heh! I've discovered time travel! The date on my save file is 4 hours earlier than Grimjacks!) ;)

1000BC
I up luxury tax to 10% as Bangalore was going to riot! We can't afford any wastage.

I agree that the tech pace is insane, as Russia is already building the great library. My fears of insane tech pace with demigod prove true. Pasargadae having Zeus is the worst news, as Persia is our most logic target.

I jump on the chance to deal with China. I ship them Horseback Riding for 3 workers and $35.
(IT) We get a border expansion. I never argue with those.
Persia completes a road segment for us by Bombay. :crazyeye:

975BC
I know we need to get more techs, but we also need to develop our lands. I buy a worker from Germany to $120.
(IT) Persia lands a settler by the incense! I beat them by just one lousy turn.

900BC
Calcutta is formed and starts a temple. This locks us a second source of incense, and with a temple it will be a nice city with the two whales.
The bad news is that settler moves south. We are going to lose one of the two southern India spots.

875BC
(IT) China starts the great wall. This tells us construction is out there.

850BC
At the moment resistance is futile, so I give Babylon there $27.
(IT) The Argentineans complete the Great Lighthouse.

800BC
Lahore is formed on the Iron. A temple is ordered up.

775BC
I can buy Philosophy, but only civs that don't have it are backwards Greece and Australia. I pass for now.

750BC
Persia built Samaria in a really awkward spot. I am going to have to build Karachi with severe overlap. A critical temple is ordered.

Our ship is starting to move up Japan. The odds are the new world will be a lot more backwards. That may be a big chance to catch up tech.

Summary:
The settler / warrior in

LKendter
microbe (current playing)
Meldor (on deck)
Grimjack
Rubberjello

Remember 10 turns per round (pre-industrial), 5 turns per round after - STRICT 24 hours got it, total 48 hours for a least a partial update (when turns get slow)

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads7/LK65-750BC.zip

Pre-turn: lux can lower to 0. We are not producing any settlers, but there is still quite some land to grab in the jungle. Also we need to get Map Making to be able to settle in the south Asia islands.

We are terribly backward, but there isn't much we could do.

IBT Bangalore curragh->curragh.

(1)730BC: China settled on the gems beside Lahore! :mad:

Mongols have Construction too, but we still cannot afford it. :(

IBT Bombay spear->spear. Zulu builds Great Library. Babylon builds MoM. Mongols switch to Great Wall.

(2)710BC: Babylon also has Construction now, but we still cannot afford.

IBT Madras horse->horse.

(3)690BC: Russia also has Construction, but we still cannot afford!

IBT Germany kicks our warrior out. Delphi temple->rax.

(4)670BC: zzz

IBT Mongols kick us out to the correct direction. France builds ToA.

(5)650BC: We meet Persia in the far east. :eek:

IBT Russia demands 34g, I cave. Bombay settler->horse. Russia starts Great Wall and completes it immediately: SGL?

(6)630BC: Russia must have got Monarch or Republic. We still have a chance at Currency.

IBT an immortal enters our territory. :eek:

(7)610BC: All our gold + incense + gpt is "doubtful" for Construction! I sell HBR to Australia for 53g, STILL doubtful. But we are close..

IBT Madras horse->horse. Lahore walls->temple.

(8)590BC: The immortal returns home. Phew. STILL cannot buy Construction! See 2 persian galleys approach the two unsettled tiles close to Bangolore, so I move 2 horses to block them.

IBT Bangolore curragh->curragh for now. Next leader can decide what to do.

(9)570BC: still can't buy. Even if we could, we probably wouldn't trade incense to Babylon anyway as the trade route doesn't seem to be safe. But the good news is nobody gets Currency yet. We still have 20 turns to go.

IBT Germany kicks out again. Our warrior is stuck there. :(

(10) Same.

Seems like severe shortage of land. Good thing we wern't european.

Are we close to netting MapMaking, those 1-sector islands looks mighty tempting, as I wouldn't want to wrestle with an AI to get them.

Grimjack

Everybody knows Map Making, and last time I checked it wasn't affordable either. In any case I don't think we can buy it straight. We'd probably have to wait for Construction or even Currency unfortunately. We still have some jungles to settle.

The land is terrible indeed..and we are sandwitched by Persia, Mongols and China, all nasty ones.

We can at least hope for the Chinese Riders and Mongol Keshiks decide to repeat history and slug it out between themselves.

Persia is very annoying. I wonder why he is settling so aggressively.

Grimjack

Persia is very annoying. I wonder why he is settling so aggressively.
We have the nearby, good land for him to go for.

========================
LKendter
microbe
Meldor (current playing)
Grimjack (on deck)
Rubberjello

Remember 10 turns per round (pre-industrial), 5 turns per round after - STRICT 24 hours got it, total 48 hours for a least a partial update (when turns get slow)

IBT Bangolore curragh->curragh for now. Next leader can decide what to do.
I would stop the production of ships - I built one to explore toward Africa. Since those small ships can't carry troops anymore are a waste.

I think our number 1 tech goal should be map making. We need to get some galleys out there. I would like those small islands below India, and it is faster to get to SE Asia with boats. Our city base is improving, but we have a long way to go.

I see it. We are closing on the house tonight and I might not be able to play. I will be able to play tomorrow though. If Grimjack can play and return it tonight, he is welcome to go for it.

One more game thought - we need embassies with our close neighbors. Our best chance for an early war to expand (probably razing cities) someone bogged down in other wars. The chance to beat up Persia, Mongols, that annoying Babylon city or China is each a worthy goal. Those China gems do look tasty.

However, above all we need mapmaking for harbors and safe travel routines along with galleys to claim some of those island spots before the AI.

550 BC (0)
Not much to do. I whip the temple in Karichi. We need to start putting culture pressure and expand the borders. Waiting 19 more turns for the temple won't get the job done. I then get embassies with the three closest nieghbors, Persia, Mongolia and China. It seems that Babylon and Russia have a pact against China. China and the Mongols have a pact against Babylon. Last but not least Babylon and Persia and Babylon have a pact against Babylon. Now, Persia has immortals running around, but Babylon has a nice city in the hills to the north.
(I) Persia and Babylon sign an alliance against China.

530-390 BC (1-8)
Things stay pretty quite. We buy Philosophy from France. I build horses. What can one do with horses. Babylon looks tasty and Persia has immortals. Oh well. We declare war on Persia. Three horses attack the southern city of Samaria. Unfortunately, it autorazes. Next we hit Gordum, two horse attacks, the second on an already injured spear and we take the city. One horse heads south to take on an archer down there and one horse kills off a one HP immortal just outside of Gordum. There is still one reg immortal north of Gordium. Hopefully he is after the Chinese. The horse just built in Delhi snag a couple of Persian workers that were in the Gordum area, there is one more but we can't snag it this turn.
(I) The immortal goes after the horse that took out it's brother and retreats it. It lost a HP. The Persians decide to deny us a slave and disband the last worker near Gordium. It seems that the Chinese razed the city in the jungle north of Lahore and we have a settler right there, how nice.

370 BC (9)
Our horse red-lines but takes out the immortal in the jungle. That leaves the archer in the south as the only Persian unit in sight. Our horse will hit him next turn. I move the injured horses in the noth to Delhi to heal at the RAX and the Horses in the south fortify were they stand. Now, iff the Chinese troops will move off our city spot...
(I) It doesn't look like the Babylonian troops were just cutting the corner. It looks like a royal sneak attack and we are the intented victim. That just won't do. It also looks like the Chinese will claim the spot as their sward doesn't move and I spy a settler one step away. Oh well, our settler can go south of Lahore.

1990 AD (10)
I get an embassy with Hammie. I then trade him 164g and 22gpt for Polytheism. We immediately pray to all the new Gods we have learned of that this satisfies them and the move back. We take out the archer and there are no Persian troops in sight. Bangalore is swapped to a settler to fill in the last city spot in the south. The horses in the south are awoken and our sent north to help.

The horses are healing in Delhi or headed there to heal. I would leave one horse in the south to ward off visiters but pull the rest north. Shift the healed horses to Bombay and then when the time is ripe that Arbela from Persia. That should bring them to the table crying.

Do not, I repeat, do not ask the Babylonians to leave our lands. They have an archer and a sword next to Bombay and 4 swords a spear and a Bow south in Persia. Plus the units in the moutains. We can not fight both them and Persia at the same time.

Good Luck and have fun with your pointy stick research!

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads7/LK65-350BC.zip

Got it. I will likely play tonight.

Grimjack

:confused: Last but not least Babylon and Persia and Babylon have a pact against Babylon. :confused:

============================

Sounds like the embassies paid - I didn't think any of our neighbors were that streched already!

The horse just built in Delhi snag a couple of Persian workers that were in the Gordum area
That is always good news.

Three horses attack the southern city of Samaria. Unfortunately, it autorazes.
Nothing wrong with that - we can afford a settler for that. If that is the city I think it is the position was horrid.

Good Luck and have fun with your pointy stick research!
Don't forget to go hunting for ivory! Look underneath those Persian cities! It is closer then you think. :D

LKendter
microbe
Meldor
Grimjack (current playing)
Rubberjello (on deck)

LK65, The hairy turns.

Short term plans, survive, dig steps out of the hole.

350BC, Preturn Babylon is at war with China, so I hope they are looking to raze some chinese cities, making space for us to settle in.
Persia is taking a beating, and I hope we can secure some more room.
We are at war with Australia and Persia.
Polytheism and 16 gpt is not enough to get Construction out of Greece, so I get Literature and 205 gold from him instead.
( He had 217 gold, so I got full value this way. I assumed better to get something rather than nothing for our Polytheism. )
I use some of this money for an embassy in Russia. Russia does not have horses, nor do they have iron. They do have wines though, and they are in a Monarchy.

IBT: Nothing revolutionary

330BC Heal some horsemen, and start to collect a SoD. I expect to need 6 horses to be certain to grab a city from two spearmen. 5 is also good odds.

IBT: Where does all the babylonians come from, and where are they going ? I hope/suspect they are aiming for the Chinese gems town. With some luck, they will raze it if they are still at war with China in the fifteen turns it will take to get there.
Germany boots our warrior, but this time in the right direction.
We get four approaching immortals that need to be dealt with somehow.

310BC Collect our horsemen to receive the Immortals.
Buy a chinese worker for 111 gold. We are on speaking terms with Persia, and they somehow still have 10 cities. I will hold of on peace a short while though.

IBT:

290 The immortals are tough. The first two to reach us manages to kill one horse, retreat another and wound a third before they die. I would have loved a few catapults now..
I start building one.
I put a scientist in Madras for a few turns, while I wait for the other cities to grow, so I feel I can afford to raise lux taxes.

IBT: One more Immortal shows up, but I intend to ignore him, and see if I can capture another city, before striking peace with him.

270: Scratch that, there are two Immortals, and I can deal with them while waiting for our southern reinforcements to arrive.
I keep one horse in the south as roving token defense. With five turns left on our Currency gambit, the richest nations went medieval on us. There is not much I can do, except hope currency does not come to all the poor nations.
I buy an Egyptian worker for 4 gpt and 40 gold.
I whip the KOlhapur Temple.

IBT: Russia and MOngols sign alliance against the Persians :)
Babylonians statr SunTzu

250BC I lose one horseman killing off the three visible immortals. NOw lets hope I have time to heal our horsies.
I adjust lux, and put the scientist back to work.

230 Healing horsemen. Make contact with the Zulus. They are expansionists, so they are advanced beyond any possible trade.

IBT: MOngols and Russia sign alliance against China. Persia advances three immortals and an Ancient cavalry against us. That could get ugly.

210BC I lose three horsemen, but I capture Arbela. It comes complete with a harbor.

IBT: The ancient cavalry redlines itself, but kill our spear. Germany still wont let us move our warriro across his turf.
We get the Forbidden palace blurb. Paris completes Hanging gardens.

190BC Our glorious horsemen captures Antioch, and we are out of easy targets.
I sign peace with Australia, giving them Writing in exchange for their 47 gold.
I sign peace with Persia, paying them 144 gold for MapMaking.
Hmm, I had hoped to get Construction from Germany for MapMaking, but they are insulted.
I reposition our horses near the Chinese borders. I think a fast strike here, right behind the wall of Babylonian swords could net us a few cities.

IBT: Currency comes in, and I hope I can use it to barter our way into medieval times.

170BC MapMaking and Currency gets us Construction from the Greeks.
Currency gets us Code of Laws, 10 gold and 1 gpt from the Egyptians
I sell it cheap to the Russians for 340 gold.

I am fairly certain we can pointy stick Republic in less than 50 turns, so I statr a min science on Feudalism, the most expensive tech of the Medieval tree.

150BC I whip a settler in Arbela to get rid of the population in the fastest way I know. I know the settler is foreign, but we need a settler fast to get the small islands outside our nation.

Grab the save

I would suggest that we either crash the party with Mongols or Chinese. Either of them looks to be on the receiving end of a lot of pain.
I do not think Mongols will receive less pain now that Persia can turn their attention more fully towards them.
China has a lot of little cities in the jungle. I do not know if it is the number of cities captured that allows you to get techs in return for peace, but if it is, they will probably not be able to counter until they have dealt with the twenty something troops of Babylon that is beginning to reach them now.

I do believe we need to do pointy stick. We simply cannot get any techs in any conceivable timeframe otherwise.
Also, do not fall too behind in culture. It is nice to be able to keep cities we capture, when we have so little population to draw settlers from.

Grimjack

Edit - ignore - cross posted screen with Grimjack.

===========================

LKendter (on deck)
microbe
Meldor
Grimjack
Rubberjello (current playing)

Top Bottom