LK78 - Korea - Slow cooked deity

Russia might be nice to MA with. There is a very good chance that the Hittites are getting iron from them (they have 2).

I think disconnecting the wines on my turn was the right call. If Russia had been able to demand them (and had done so) instead of the gold during my turns we would have just lost our Reputation.

150 BC (0)
Not much to change, but I swap two of the builds from Horsemen to spears. I would like to get more than two spears in a city getting hit by ACs and MDIs. We can't affors to bring Sumeria into the war and we have no embassy with Russia. Looks like we will be going alone on this one.
(I) They AC and sword on top of the hill die but one of the spears redlines before doing its job.

130 BC (1)
Kill off one sword waiting to attack Wosan but there is an MDI and a Sword on the hill which I won't attack.
(I) We lose a spear to a sword. Seoul spear->spear, P'yongyang horse->horse, Pusan horse->horse,

110 BC (2)
Nothing I can attack. I move six horses to attack Tyrana.
(I)We lose two horse from the MDI and the Sword. Hyangsan spear->horse

90 BC (3)
We lose two horses, kill two spears and redline a sword but the city holds. I kill off the sword and MDI on the hill, promoting our Archer to elite. Our last horse kills off the 1hp sword trying to make it back to the city.
(I) The sword heals, but we have two horses to attack next turn. Seoul spear->spear

70 BC (4)
Our two horses attack the sword, one retreats the other dies. There is now a pike in the city. All troops withdraw to heal.
(I) The Sumerians start Leo's.

50 BC (5)
Healing turn.
(I) The Sumearian ships head back up our coast. We finish Lit and start on Currency. Seoul spear->spear

30 BC (6)
Move the 4 healed horses up to make one last try at the city.
(I) An MDI retreats the horse and a sword finishes it off.

10 BC (7)
Take out the pike with the first horse and it promotes to elite. Second horse redlines and then kills the MDI. As a bonus, there is a settler in the city and we get two slaves. In addition to the two from the settler, we get four more from razing the city. Swap Seoul to settler. Move spears up to cover the exposed units.

Right now we can get Currency for 39g (1gpt and 19g) for peace. If we push we can raze the city with the dyes and get another lux. The Hittites are down to 5 cities and are building more expensive units than we are. It looks like their initial rush is over. We have enough spears to replace the city razed and protect it but we can't settle it without being at war.

Thoughts?

We have enough spears to replace the city razed and protect it but we can't settle it without being at war.
If we have to be at war the city isn't worth settling. This makes it sound like to extreme of a flip risk. If we can pull it off I would prefer to get some clean sites without flip risk.

Either way I am happy with 6 free workers. That certainly helped our work force. :D

I think I would push for at least one more city if you think we can get it. The extra lux plus it also makes it much more likely we can get to the water and irrigate our plains to the north. I just don't trust the AI to bring the water through all that jungle and swamp in a timely manner.

Even better would be if we could get the city next to the Ivory. That gives us another lux, gets us to the water source and may cut off the Hittite AC production.

lurker's comment: I watch this closely as I missed out of signing up, because of my jumpy outback server.

Some scary moments so far, but well done!

And besides anything else: Combat calculators? Are you going cheesy at an old age, Lee? ;)

10 BC (7)
OK, only two speak up, but I cast the same vote so staying at war it is. If we get the next town, it will gives us dyes and probably access to water. Frankly, the Hittites have three luxes and we could use all three. Sumeria is eating up territory at the other end and we will need something to trade for iron. Move a spear up on the only hill outside Wosan that is accessable in one move. I will build a fort up there.
(I) Sailing ships, but no attacks, I think they are gassed already. Sumeria and Greece sign peace. Pusan and Cheju horse->horse

10 AD (8)
I leave the new horses back for now as we need to deal with the landing troops. I move two more spears and all of our new workers to the hill. They will build a road and then a fort.
(I) A spear is dropped at the northern end. Seoul completes a settler and starts a horse. Hyangsan Horse->horse.

30 AD (9)
Our dingy makes it back and I disband it to shave a turn off of a cat. The workers start a road and I move support troops up on the hill. One horse dies taking 1 hp off of the spear and promoting it. The second horse kills it. There are two more ships coming. I spy an MDI on the march towards us.
(I) Namp'o Horse->Horse

50 AD (10)
Our cat pings the MDI and elite horse retreats on the it but a second horse takes it out. The road should be built next turn and then we can build the fortress. The settler is coming to the fornt. You can either build the city to replace the one razed or save it for the dyes. I think we should stay at war with the Hittites until we kill them off or they get knights. We must get the most we can out of our horse before they become cannon fodder. You have two healthy horses in the rear to deal with the landing and one hurt horse healing. Build up forces again and go after Hattusha.

Signed up:
LKendter (currently playing)
Microbe (on deck)
Greebley
Kaiser_Berger
Meldor

Remember 10 turns per round - STRICT 24 hours got it, total 48 to complete.

50 AD
I squeeze a bit more out of our cities. Namp'o is stunted for growth without a harbor, so I switch that low shield city to one. With just 2 usable shields it isn't worth building military there. The rest of our cities stay in pure military mode. At some point we will need to get some buildings done.
(IT) Sumeria starts Sistine Chapel.

70 AD
Two horsemen can't kill one lousy AC that landed behind our lines. :mad:
(IT) We get saved with the RnG turns back and the AC can't kill the spearman in Namp'o.

90 AD
That annoying AC is dead.
(IT) Normally I would cave, but with Greece banished of the mainland I tell him to take a hike. Greece is a loony and actually starts a war. I never would have guessed he would start a war. I remember why I always cave...

110 AD
I ship Germany $66 and $5/turn for Mysticism. If I am give cash to a civ it is Germany or Greece as they are both non-threats at this point.

130 AD
I promote a horseman for killing a spearman behind our lines.
(IT) An MDI commits suicide at Wonsan.

150 AD
I kill an MDI and AC on the way to Hattusha at the cost of one horseman.
(IT) I watch 3 pike / setter pairs move into Hattusha. This will delay the assault for awhile.

170 AD
(IT) The horseman that pillaged dyes is killed.
Sumeria starts Knights Templar. Chivalry is on the way.

190 AD
I kill the MDI on the dyes.
(IT) The Hittites lost another MDI.

There is possible land near Hyangsan as I watched the Russian boats go east.

Russia completes Sun Tzu.

210 AD
I attempt to assault Hattusha, but I lost 3 horsemen and an archer for just 1 pikeman. With the rest of the horseman injured, I have to retreat.

230 AD
Hattusha is simply to strong to assault with 10 horsemen.

I sign peace with the Hittites. I give them $44 in exchange for Currency during the peace treaty.

I send Germany Currency and $13/turn and get Construction. The only tech needed to leave the AA is Polytheism. We are still lacking a good government tech.

We are now is 100% building mode.

==========================

Summary:
I hope when we sign peace with Greece we can get the missing tech.

Signed up:
LKendter
Microbe (currently playing)
Greebley (on deck)
Kaiser_Berger
Meldor

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads8/LK78-250AD.zip

preturn: fire scientist in Hyangsan and switch taxman in Pusan to scientist.

Not much we can do. Hope those markets will do us good.

(1)260AD: not sure what the settler should do. Is it meant to settle on the marches after it's cleared?

Just noticed that this game has a lot of scientific civs!!! :eek: This means our free tech won't be of much use.

(2)270AD: IBT Hitties and Germany sign peace.

(3)280AD: Sumeria completes Sistine Chapel. :eek:

(4)290AD:

(5)300AD: we can trade our only wines to Russia, plus 56g+4gpt and get Polytheism, but I don't trust the route through Hitties. Will wait for those markets online.

(6)310AD:

(7)320AD:

(8)330AD: turn off research as we fire the scientist.

(9)340AD: Sumeria starts Copernicus. :eek:

(10)350AD: I found a town on the cleared marsh. It has some flip risk but I hate to have a settler unused. Plus we can now build FP. We can now buy Polytheism from Germany by 17gpt+85g.

We draw Monotheism, and Germany has Feudalism. We cannot make any trade.

We are in a deep tech hole. The only way out is to take on Hitties. I've built no military, but you can switch most builds to horsemen without loss.

(1)260AD: not sure what the settler should do. Is it meant to settle on the marches after it's cleared?
It was to replace the Hittite dye city that I couldn't raze.

Sumeria starts Copernicus.
What is with Sumeria and becoming the run away tech civ? This has happened in several of my games when they are involved.

(10)350AD: I found a town on the cleared marsh. It has some flip risk but I hate to have a settler unused. Plus we can now build FP.
Do we have a city building the FP? I think the city by the wines in the best choice. IMHO the flip risk city isn't worth it unless we get the FP going and hopefully completed before the flip. I know I am over paranoid about flips but I have been burned before with some really painful flips including a city just a handful of turns from completing the FP.

We are in a deep tech hole. The only way out is to take on Hittites. I've built no military, but you can switch most builds to horsemen without loss.
10 horsemen couldn't even make much of a dent on one city. We need at least 3 attack units before we will make a dent on the Hittites IMO.

==========================

Signed up:
LKendter
Microbe
Greebley (currently playing)
Kaiser_Berger (on deck)
Meldor

Research away - I have found Fuedalsim is often brutal to buy. Now the question is how to get some iron to build MDIs. We can't win this game with horseman.

microbe said:
We need to make more contacts. We haven't done any sea exploration.
I am confused by this comment. This is a small pangea and we have already met all of the AIs. What this meant for another thread?

microbe said:
Where is Greece? I couldn't find it in the map.
Greece is banished to an island. We can just see the hint of borders on the map. They couldn't have tried a demand against me if they didn't have contact. The AIs did a good job of beating up Greece.

Since we used up the settler on an over-tight build with flip risk, let's make sure we take advantage of it. Please switch Pyongyang to forbidden palace. It can complete is just 28 turns, and probably less if we mine one of the plains tiles. We need to improve productivity.

I notice we are at $16 making -1/turn. If an AI civ demands $16 we will lose a random worker and building. Please fix this situation.

Preturn:
We seem to be at 0 gold and not -1 so thats ok. Agree on the FP, so I switch Pyongyang as suggested.

Doesn't look like we will be doing any fast research until the current gpt deals run out (or much of anything for that matter in terms of tech). I will leave science as is though I really hope we get republic in better than 41 turns.

Early: I was going to try to help the Hittites get water to us, but I don't seem to be able to. Guess you can't do that anymore. Switch the new town to a library. A border expansion will claim two squares to reduce flip chance.

Sumeria has Iron for sale. I decide to buy it. Send 7 gpt and 15 gold for it.

Mid: FP is hurried up by building mines in the plains. Rush Ulsan's library.

Late: Start building swords.

Notes:
The workers are not in our land this turn, but if all goes as planned the border will expand next turn and we can cut down the Marsh and get water to our interior. It will also reduce our squares under AI control by 2.

FP was MM'ed down to 14 turns.

We will get our first sword next turn. I put Hyangsan on swords even though it needs an aquaduct to get some while we have iron. This can be switched if the next player desires.

We still get Republic fastest at Min research so I guess we should just stick with it.

Top Bottom