Looks like Civ 6 is done: Kevin called April "final game update"

More fire for the fuel, my compatriots, from comrade @blackbutterfly!

Apparently Firaxis has several games in development, so we may get a fantasy and sci-fi Civ.

Civilization devs have “several” games in development that will be revealed “this year” | PCGamesN

"We expect this growth to continue as the studio has several exciting projects in development that will be revealed this year" - Strauss Zelnick, CEO Take Two.

- Take-Two Interactive (TTWO) Q4 2021 Earnings Call Transcript | The Motley Fool

*Crosses fingers that they don't announce Civ VII this year*

In all honesty it's probably some kind of fantasy or sci-fi spin off in this case. I really can't see them going back to traditional civ in such a small time frame. BNW/last civ updates came out in 2013 and Civ VI wasn't even revealed until mid 2016. Civ VII-even with Humankind's rise-has got to be coming out in 2022/3 at the earliest...

But who's to say that the "exciting projects" aren't a 2nd season pass or more civ vi updates? Who knows what FXS will throw at us now.

In all honesty it's probably some kind of fantasy or sci-fi spin off in this case.
Beyond Earth was so unpopular I don't think they'll be eager to try that again. I wouldn't rule out a spinoff, but I think Civ7 is much more likely (and, in my opinion, desirable).

Beyond Earth was so unpopular I don't think they'll be eager to try that again. I wouldn't rule out a spinoff, but I think Civ7 is much more likely (and, in my opinion, desirable).

Just because BE did not do well, doesn't mean that Firaxis won't try again to do a scifi spin-off, especially if they have some cool scifi concepts that they want to try out with the civ6 game engine.

Personally, I think we could see a civ6 spin-off that is either fantasy or scifi. My bet would probably be on fantasy since I don't think Firaxis has done a fantasy civ game in awhile. I think civ2 had a fantasy spin-off if memory serves. a civ6 inspired fantasy game could be really cool. Think Lord of the Rings style 4X with armies of orcs or dragons. That could be very cool. And they could have magic be a style of combat. So they could introduce some new game concepts we've not seen before.

Of course, the games in development could have nothing to do with civ. I think it is likely we will see another XCOM game. Maybe they are finally going to do Sid's dinosaur game?

Personally, I am excited to see what the new games are. Firaxis games are always very interesting.

Just because BE did not do well, doesn't mean that Firaxis won't try again to do a scifi spin-off, especially if they have some cool scifi concepts that they want to try out with the civ6 game engine.
I mean, it's not smart business to try to release a sequel to a product that was unpopular in the first place. Like I said, I'm not ruling out a spinoff, but I don't think it makes good business sense. Civ7 will undoubtedly sell better than any spinoff, and the market is clearly hot for historical 4X games. If there's a spinoff, I think something either mythology or age-specific is much more likely than a sci-fi or fantasy game.

Think Lord of the Rings style 4X with armies of orcs or dragons.
As someone whose obsession with Tolkien borders on veneration, I have to point out that that's not Lord of the Rings style. :p

I mean, it's not smart business to try to release a sequel to a product that was unpopular in the first place. Like I said, I'm not ruling out a spinoff, but I don't think it makes good business sense. Civ7 will undoubtedly sell better than any spinoff, and the market is clearly hot for historical 4X games. If there's a spinoff, I think something either mythology or age-specific is much more likely than a sci-fi or fantasy game.
I do agree that it does seem a little bit too early to announce Civ VII just months after the NFP ended. If it's not a second season, I think chances are it's a spin-off.

But I do agree with you that it might not be sci-fi, but more historical, maybe with fantasy elements like mythology, similar to how Heroes and Legends game mode worked.

There are people who still play Beyond Earth regularly :wavey:
(It is a much better game than Civ V for multiplayer).

Success is measured in terms of $$ revenue not critical acclaim. And Beyond Earth cost around twice as much as Civ V, if I recall correctly.
So I'm guessing it didn't do too badly for Firaxis and 2K.

I'm so ready for Beyond Earth 2. Or better yet, SMAC/X 2! :drool:

I do agree that it does seem a little bit too early to announce Civ VII just months after the NFP ended. If it's not a second season, I think chances are it's a spin-off.

But I do agree with you that it might not be sci-fi, but more historical, maybe with fantasy elements like mythology, similar to how Heroes and Legends game mode worked.
I don't see Civ7 being announced next month, but I could see it being announced in the next year or so. It's been obvious that the main development team moved on from Civ6 quite a while ago.

There are people who still play Beyond Earth regularly :wavey:
(It is a much better game than Civ V for multiplayer).

Success is measured in terms of $$ revenue not critical acclaim. And Beyond Earth cost around twice as much as Civ V, if I recall correctly.
So I'm guessing it didn't do too badly for Firaxis and 2K.
There are people who like most things, but that's not really relevant to the point that it was poorly received. It may or may not have turned a profit (I'm certainly not privy to FXS' fiscal situation), but I highly doubt it was as profitable as Civ5 or Civ6. Even profitable things can be a disappointment to their parent company if they don't generate enough profit. Also critical reception is relevant because the people who bought Beyond Earth and found it lacking are a lot less likely to buy another original spinoff from FXS. I wouldn't touch a spinoff set in an original setting by FXS until I knew for certain it wasn't as soulless as Beyond Earth (a game that had a great deal of potential and squandered it thanks to subpar writing).

Or better yet, SMAC/X 2!
You'll have to talk to EA about that one and can no doubt look forward to a "live service" model if they agree to let it happen. "Purchase a Settler for $5.00!" :mischief:

Beyond Earth has some good ideas, but it lacked something in the end. What I liked the most was the quests and the way we could customize the civilization there - with some unique units to the affinities we chose and the choices to make buildings better. I have no idea why they didn't bring it back to Civ6 in some form. That is, btw, one thing I really enjoyed when I played the Ancient World demo. Doing quests to get some unique rewards is a good way to make the game less repetitive after every playthrough.

Every sci-fi and fantasy game needs a good story. SMAC had one. BE didn't.

I agree. The lore of BE is rubbish. (Along with very one dimensional sponsors).

SMAC was simple.
In Civ II (?) you built a ship to Alpha Centauri. (The Space Victory).
SMAC was a continuation of the game.

BE really should've just followed suit. :)
(i.e. we build a space ship to an exoplanet in the space victory).

Every sci-fi and fantasy game needs a good story. SMAC had one. BE didn't. I'm not sure FXS as a company is capable of fitting it into its budget or even mentality.

That is why I hope that the next spinoff is based on an existing lore, if they are not going to really focus on its story that much. I think the lack of backstory made feel some of the game modes for civ 6 out of context, besides the fact that they were ahistorical/unrealisting.

Master of Magic did not relate to any pre-existing lore and was very popular nonetheless.

Tell that to Amazon...
Calling it: Amazon is making off-brand Game of Thrones, just like their attempt at Tales from the Loop (a wonderful narrative art book and pen-and-paper RPG) turned into off-brand Stranger Things.

Calling it: Amazon is making off-brand Game of Thrones, just like their attempt at Tales from the Loop (a wonderful narrative art book and pen-and-paper RPG) turned into off-brand Stranger Things.
Like Amazon's Lord of the Rings series coming out soon? :p

Like Amazon's Lord of the Rings series coming out soon? :p
That's what I was talking about: their ostensibly Lord of the Rings show is just going to be off-brand Game of Thrones, and I hate it already. :cringe: Amazon should really stick to selling other peoples' things...

I dont think we get a fantasy civ with elves and dragons, I might be wrong but does fantasy strategy even sell that well?

Top strategy games on Steam seem to be Civilization, Paradox and Total war games with history. Ok Warhammer is a popular game but its setting is decades old.

It's time to bring back solid clouds. Units can walk on soft fluffy clouds. MLP:FiM has solid clouds and the show's popular. Avatar: The Last Airbender (and its spinoff The Legend of Korra) has solid clouds and the show's popular. Mario has solid clouds and the video game series is popular. Kirby has solid clouds and the video game series is popular. Even Journey to the West has solid clouds and Sun Wukong, a major character from that novel, is known to walk on clouds and is in Civ VI.

Before anyone here says the idea of solid cloud platforms is too silly for even a fantasy spinoff of Civ, let me remind all of you that Civ II: Test of Time has solid clouds:

Even Civ V has units walking on solid clouds:

Therefore, solid clouds have precedence in the Civ series.

Reactions: cuc
Top Bottom