Looks like Civ 6 is done: Kevin called April "final game update"

I personally don't have any issues with the UI. I think there is a point where you oversaturate the player with information. For some, as Sukritact said, this overwhelms them. For others, like myself, knowing every single detail about everything really takes me out of the "game" and reminds me i'm just playing a digital board game.

I personally don't have any issues with the UI. I think there is a point where you oversaturate the player with information. For some, as Sukritact said, this overwhelms them. For others, like myself, knowing every single detail about everything really takes me out of the "game" and reminds me i'm just playing a digital board game.
It depends. There are some things that don't make sense. On the Switch for example, you only have so many strategic resource counters. It would make sense to display the most recently researched ones, but instead I'm shown a semi random mix - so instead of seeing uranium, oil and aluminium which are what my units use, I might be shown aluminium, coal and iron.
- despite coal being semi useless and iron has been obsolete for dozens of turns. I don't want it too busy, but it could do with being optimised a bit more.

It was great for the streamers, too. Everyone tuned in for the new patches and leaders. Overall, it's a pretty good model with one major, major flaw. It's the same flaw that ruins Paradox DLCs: each DLC can't assume that you own any of the previous DLCs. So, the systems don't work together, the leaders don't take advantage of the new "modes", etc. It all feels too disjointed.
Yeah I can see that, it's a pity because I think the Season Pass is a really good model for everyone including CFC!

I'm not a big fan of 'tons of info in the UI' either usually - my complaints are more about consistency and being able to manage the information you do have.

For example:

1) Both trade and spy assignment UIs are essentially big lists with minimal filtering options. The MODS to improves this basically just add more filtering/sorting options.
2) Transferring a unit from one city to another city essentially has different UIs depending on the unit type - i.e. transferring a trader vs transferring a great person. Why not a consistent - get a list of cities and be able to click on the designated city for both?
3) The 'report' screen is an egregious example to me: they gave the 'dump of data' screen for folks that want it, but made it essentially unusable. The 'better report screen' mod does amazing job of adding basic things like sorting (as well as adding more data options).
4) A production queue finally came, but I'd generally like more queuing and grouping options in general.

I'm not a big fan of 'tons of info in the UI' either usually - my complaints are more about consistency and being able to manage the information you do have.

For example:

1) Both trade and spy assignment UIs are essentially big lists with minimal filtering options. The MODS to improves this basically just add more filtering/sorting options.
2) Transferring a unit from one city to another city essentially has different UIs depending on the unit type - i.e. transferring a trader vs transferring a great person. Why not a consistent - get a list of cities and be able to click on the designated city for both?
3) The 'report' screen is an egregious example to me: they gave the 'dump of data' screen for folks that want it, but made it essentially unusable. The 'better report screen' mod does amazing job of adding basic things like sorting (as well as adding more data options).
4) A production queue finally came, but I'd generally like more queuing and grouping options in general.
I was just playing a game last night with Barbarian Clans mode on. I wound up with more than 20 City States in the late game and wanted to search for the Scientific ones specifically, when it occurred to me that a CS filtering/sorting system would be very helpful.

I know they're color coded and I could just scroll through looking for the blue ones. But apparently my scroll wheel is super sensitive when I play this game and it's hard to get it to stop where I want it to. Shortening the list would make it easier to find the ones I want, especially with that new mode enabled creating many more CS's than the standard game has.

I was just playing a game last night with Barbarian Clans mode on. I wound up with more than 20 City States in the late game and wanted to search for the Scientific ones specifically, when it occurred to me that a CS filtering/sorting system would be very helpful.

I know they're color coded and I could just scroll through looking for the blue ones. But apparently my scroll wheel is super sensitive when I play this game and it's hard to get it to stop where I want it to. Shortening the list would make it easier to find the ones I want, especially with that new mode enabled creating many more CS's than the standard game has.
That's not a bad idea. Onto the to-do list it goes

Speaking as a UI modder. It’s not so bad that I’d call it a joke I don’t think. They DO have to strike that balance between presenting enough data to make decisions and not overwhelming the player (especially more casual players) with information. Too many UI mods go overboard with providing that information.

Not to say there aren’t issues. Why they haven’t already moved the City Strike button is a complete mystery to me. It wouldn’t even be that hard to move!!!!

There are some absolutly baffling omissions. Like showing me the effects of various policy cards BEFORE I comitt to them.

The info that is there is often hilariously badly formatted or presented

I find it all but useless because the way it is formatted and organized is terrible

Then there is things like being unable to access info on what I already have during a trade with an AI. I swear previous editions of Civ didn’t have these issues

True, but just as Sukritact's UI mods prove (Global Relations and UI Adjustments), there's still information (or the presentation of that information) that could be improved upon.

There's no excuse for the Trade UI, for instance, to be a completely uninformative, if not outright misleading, mess.

There are some absolutly baffling omissions. Like showing me the effects of various policy cards BEFORE I comitt to them.
That one is almost certainly because it's crazy difficult to implement and computationally expensive. I doubt they'll implement that or anything similar (for similar reasons, I doubt the
Detailed Map Tacks mod will be implemented either). It's important to remember, that just because a modder can do it doesn't mean Firaxis as a developer can.

Kudos to Infixo for basically recreating every possible modifier effect via Lua though. The Better Report Screen is very impressive.

Last edited:
To revitalize the conspiracy theorists and speculators here, as well as give you some food for thought, here is a post from Ed Beach on our very own forums. While I'm not convinced that much, I just thought I'd post it here. Take note of what I have emboldened:

Hello Civ Fans,

Thanks so much for being a part of the Civilization VI journey and for spending the past year exploring New Frontiers for our franchise. Your dedication has been very meaningful for us and your passion for improving our game invaluable. I have personally enjoyed so much of the content you have been sharing in our communities: your screenshots of amazing cities, your analysis of our civilizations, and your stories about our leaders.

I’m looking forward to working with all of you as our franchise moves ahead into the future. After all there are always Carlbarians cities to sack, cats to pet, and Civilopedias to open, right?

- Ed Beach, Civilization Franchise Lead Designer

Last edited:
To revitalize the conspiracy theorists and speculators here, as well as give you some food for thought, here is a post from Ed Beach on our very own forums. While I'm not convinced that much, just thought I'd post it here. Take note of what I have emboldened:
Yes, I also think the very existence of that thread means civ 6 is over.

Yeah by the looks of it, the Civ 6 train has reached its final destination.

Hopefully, we get a couple more small patches for bug fixes, but other than that it looks like its over.

My sense was that the NFP was the end of the road; the "thank-you" posts here and on Reddit confirm it for me. I was hoping I was wrong, but it's no surprise that Firaxis is ready to move on to "The Next Thing." I do agree that a bugfix patch or two would be nice (that one bug where cities start earning tens of thousands of resources is kind of a game-breaker). Overall, though, it was a great ride & I'm happy I hopped on the train at the release of Civ VI.

Top Bottom