1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Looks like Civ 6 is done: Kevin called April "final game update"

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by pokiehl, Mar 24, 2021.

1. Linklite

Linklite Emperor

It depends. There are some things that don't make sense. On the Switch for example, you only have so many strategic resource counters. It would make sense to display the most recently researched ones, but instead I'm shown a semi random mix - so instead of seeing uranium, oil and aluminium which are what my units use, I might be shown aluminium, coal and iron.
    - despite coal being semi useless and iron has been obsolete for dozens of turns. I don't want it too busy, but it could do with being optimised a bit more.

Hellenism Salesman likes this.
  2. Noble Zarkon

Noble Zarkon Elite Quattromaster - Emperor (BTS) Super Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

Yeah I can see that, it's a pity because I think the Season Pass is a really good model for everyone including CFC!

3. bbbt

bbbt Deity

I'm not a big fan of 'tons of info in the UI' either usually - my complaints are more about consistency and being able to manage the information you do have.

For example:

1) Both trade and spy assignment UIs are essentially big lists with minimal filtering options. The MODS to improves this basically just add more filtering/sorting options.
    2) Transferring a unit from one city to another city essentially has different UIs depending on the unit type - i.e. transferring a trader vs transferring a great person. Why not a consistent - get a list of cities and be able to click on the designated city for both?
    3) The 'report' screen is an egregious example to me: they gave the 'dump of data' screen for folks that want it, but made it essentially unusable. The 'better report screen' mod does amazing job of adding basic things like sorting (as well as adding more data options).
    4) A production queue finally came, but I'd generally like more queuing and grouping options in general.

4. shaglio

shaglio The Prince of Dorkness

I was just playing a game last night with Barbarian Clans mode on. I wound up with more than 20 City States in the late game and wanted to search for the Scientific ones specifically, when it occurred to me that a CS filtering/sorting system would be very helpful.

I know they're color coded and I could just scroll through looking for the blue ones. But apparently my scroll wheel is super sensitive when I play this game and it's hard to get it to stop where I want it to. Shortening the list would make it easier to find the ones I want, especially with that new mode enabled creating many more CS's than the standard game has.

5. sukritact

sukritact Artist and Modder

That's not a bad idea. Onto the to-do list it goes

6. aieeegrunt

aieeegrunt Prince

There are some absolutly baffling omissions. Like showing me the effects of various policy cards BEFORE I comitt to them.

The info that is there is often hilariously badly formatted or presented

I find it all but useless because the way it is formatted and organized is terrible

Then there is things like being unable to access info on what I already have during a trade with an AI. I swear previous editions of Civ didn’t have these issues

Hellenism Salesman and PiR like this.
  7. AntSou

AntSou Emperor

True, but just as Sukritact's UI mods prove (Global Relations and UI Adjustments), there's still information (or the presentation of that information) that could be improved upon.

There's no excuse for the Trade UI, for instance, to be a completely uninformative, if not outright misleading, mess.

8. sukritact

sukritact Artist and Modder

That one is almost certainly because it's crazy difficult to implement and computationally expensive. I doubt they'll implement that or anything similar (for similar reasons, I doubt the
    Detailed Map Tacks mod will be implemented either). It's important to remember, that just because a modder can do it doesn't mean Firaxis as a developer can.

Kudos to Infixo for basically recreating every possible modifier effect via Lua though. The Better Report Screen is very impressive.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
  9. Linklite

Linklite Emperor

That's true. It takes about 10-20 for my Switch to update my yields each time I pick my policy cards. I don't know the backend stuff going on, but if that happened everytime I swapped a card out...

Hellenism Salesman and sukritact like this.
  10. Duke William of Normandy

Duke William of Normandy King of England & Unofficial Welcoming Committee

To revitalize the conspiracy theorists and speculators here, as well as give you some food for thought, here is a post from Ed Beach on our very own forums. While I'm not convinced that much, I just thought I'd post it here. Take note of what I have emboldened:

Last edited: May 6, 2021
  11. comatosedragon

comatosedragon Emperor

Yes, I also think the very existence of that thread means civ 6 is over.

mrwho, Kjimmet, Jeppetto and 9 others like this.
  12. Killer Rabbit

Killer Rabbit Chieftain

Yup, it's clear from that that this is it. Hopefully we get another patch or two fixing bugs, but Civ VI is over. Looking forward to seeing what FXS does next!

13. Wizard-Bob

Wizard-Bob Always remember to Find Your FUN!

What an awesome gesture by Team Firaxis. That thread is a true pleasure to read!

14. TeddyMain

TeddyMain Warlord

Yeah by the looks of it, the Civ 6 train has reached its final destination.

Hopefully, we get a couple more small patches for bug fixes, but other than that it looks like its over.

Kjimmet, Datgingah, pokiehl and 4 others like this.
  15. konokoni

konokoni Chieftain

My sense was that the NFP was the end of the road; the "thank-you" posts here and on Reddit confirm it for me. I was hoping I was wrong, but it's no surprise that Firaxis is ready to move on to "The Next Thing." I do agree that a bugfix patch or two would be nice (that one bug where cities start earning tens of thousands of resources is kind of a game-breaker). Overall, though, it was a great ride & I'm happy I hopped on the train at the release of Civ VI.

16. Noble Zarkon

Noble Zarkon Elite Quattromaster - Emperor (BTS) Super Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

Yeah I've definitely changed my mind on that.

Yeah fingers crossed, nothing said today stops that happening.

17. bbbt

bbbt Deity

I'd expect at least one more decent sized bug fix patch that comes with the release of the 'complete edition' on steam based on prior history.

AntSou, Kjimmet, Datgingah and 4 others like this.
  18. Leucarum

Leucarum Emperor

So... When does the civ7 speculation thread start?

19. Duke William of Normandy

Duke William of Normandy King of England & Unofficial Welcoming Committee

Isn't this it? :p

AntSou and Zaarin like this.
  20. tedhebert

tedhebert Emperor

No no !!! NO NO !!! Ed said "as the franchise moves ahead into the future" ... So THAT means an Alpha Centauri spinoff...

Discuss !!! :lol::worship::hammer2::wallbash::evil::clap:

konokoni, Pfeffersack, AntSou and 2 others like this.