Looks like Civ 6 is done: Kevin called April "final game update"

It's on my Steam wishlist and I'll watch for a sale. But I do just really like Civ VI and would like to see it continue to get cool new content. I'd gladly buy another Frontier Pass!

I complain a lot about it here, but that is because I see so much potential and I enjoy playing it so much, it just has a lot of rough edges that could use some love.

I tried Stellaris, which is supposed to be the easiest paradox game, but I found the UI just impenetrable. That level of detail is not really my strong suit

I complain a lot about it here, but that is because I see so much potential and I enjoy playing it so much, it just has a lot of rough edges that could use some love.

I tried Stellaris, which is supposed to be the easiest paradox game, but I found the UI just impenetrable. That level of detail is not really my strong suit

All the Paradox games are required to have horsehocky UIs you know. If you're completely clear on what everything means, you're playing the game wrong.

I tend to agree with you - I think a NFP Season 2 with bug fixes, polish and a bunch of persona packs would be fine (we need a Caesar for Rome!).
Don't forget scenarios! They've done some really fun and fresh stuff with them, it would be cool to see some more fleshed out single player scenarios.

I strongly agree with this and don't actually want more civilizations at this point. There are a few I'd be happy to trade, though...

Eh, my perspective on this amounts to two questions:

1) Are there very large empires or cultural regions that are still unrepresented? (Yes: Maghreb, Oman/Swahili, Pashtunstan, Burma, Bulgaria, western America)

2) Is there still unexplored design space? (Yes: more asymmetry/challenge civs, non-military unique units, group hug or collaborative civs)

As long as both questions are still "yes," I consider it a profoundly missed opportunity for the devs not to continue developing VI. As it stands, the creativity/complexity of civ designs still feels restrained from as far as it could go, and the world outside of Europe (and, somehow, South America?) still feels underrepresented. If this is where the devs brush off their hands and call "done!" then I'm frankly underwhelmed.

Though heaven forbid they do a public poll for the next batch of civs, because it will probably result in something looking like: Italy, Austria, Denmark, Ireland, Romania, Finland, Bohemia...and probably the Iroquois.

As long as both questions are still "yes," I consider it a profoundly missed opportunity for the devs not to continue developing VI.
I agree, but, while I consider the answer to the first question to be yes, I consider the answer to question No. 2 to be no. :(

I agree, but, while I consider the answer to the first question to be yes, I consider the answer to question No. 2 to be no. :(

Lol is that because you don't believe there's any design space left? Or because NFP suggests that the devs are out of ideas? ;)

Lol is that because you don't believe there's any design space left? Or because NFP suggests that the devs are out of ideas? ;)
The latter, to be sure. I think there are plenty of interesting civ designs that are possible...but NFP suggests the devs are clearly out of ideas. I can't wait to get Ireland that gets complete Civics when it achieves Inspirations but only generates 50% Culture and has a Lucky Charms Leprechaun UU. :mischief:

I don’t think it’s more civilizations that the game needs, but rather fixes and polishes to the gameplay systems.

Agreed. The more they squeeze in, the more it becomes apparent that the AI can't handle the additional mechanics. The AI has a hard enough time with districts, let alone heroes, governors, etc.

(Also, happy 1st birthday to Civilizations Expanded!)

All the Paradox games are required to have **** UIs you know. If you're completely clear on what everything means, you're playing the game wrong.

OK good, because I came out of that experience feeling incredibly stupid.

Don't forget scenarios! They've done some really fun and fresh stuff with them, it would be cool to see some more fleshed out single player scenarios.

Where the hell is the world war one and two scenarios?

I don’t think it’s more civilizations that the game needs, but rather fixes and polishes to the gameplay systems.

Absolutly this. I mean the AI can’t even improve luxuries at this point

That one in particular better be addressed in the April patch, because it is a pretty significant bug

The latter, to be sure. I think there are plenty of interesting civ designs that are possible...but NFP suggests the devs are clearly out of ideas. I can't wait to get Ireland that gets complete Civics when it achieves Inspirations but only generates 50% Culture and has a Lucky Charms Leprechaun UU. :mischief:

Okay I can respect that, Even though I would be totally content with another 8 civs at NFP-level design quality. The assets (and music) are more important to me than how polished the mechanics are; nothing modders can't fix. I mean civs being underwhelming in design isn't new; off the top of my head Suk's Egypt and Khmer are way closer to what they should/could have been, and pok's districts for Egypt/Nubia and Macedon/Persia are closer to what the civs should have looked like from the beginning.

Porque no los dos? I and I believe others have commented how great it would be if the devs went through and did a hard reintegration of all the systems between R&F and NFP.

And then they could also give us Numidia and Burma.......................................................maybe.

Last edited:
Okay I can respect that, Even though I would be totally content with another 8 civs at NFP-level design quality. The assets (and music) are more important to me than how polished the mechanics are; nothing modders can't fix. I mean civs being underwhelming in design isn't new; off the top of my head Suk's Egypt and Khmer are way closer to what they should/could have been, and pok's districts for Egypt/Nubia and Macedon/Persia are closer to what the civs should have looked like from the beginning.
I don't disagree with you entirely. I think Port Limes Babylon is pretty close to what I would have wanted in the first place, P0kiehl's Norway turned Norway into one of my favorite civs, and Sukritact's Egypt, Sumer, and Khmer reworks are all great. If there is further content, though, I want higher quality, particularly in the art assets (music excepted--Geoff Knorr was on fire).

At first I thought there was a mod that gets rid of Persia's Pairidaeza and I was about to say blashempy!
Then I looked it up and it does look good. Not too sure how I feel about it being able to be built by Macedon too though.

Its had a good run. Let it go. I enjoyed their stuff more often than not. Am pleased.

Let them release their typical cash grab civ-in-space to give em time to plan out their next move with civ 7.

Or even xcom unicorn squad.
Or even sid meyers rapscallions.

I am in all honestly ambivalent towards new civilisations, but I really think some key gameplay changes could make the game perfect:

• World Congress that's a carbon copy of Civilisation 5's, because that one truly was perfect: votes based on city-state suzerainty was sublime and made diplomacy feel dynamic. Being able to decide on resolutions also made diplomacy genuinely something you wanted to be a part of, as opposed to going "ah, it's just a vote on +100% production to a district - it'll go to the city center anyway so I won't even bother."
  • Some civilisation or other ability to have essentially what Byzantium had in Civilisation 5: a bonus, non-exclusive belief which can also come from the Pantheon belief pool.
  • Any kind of way to influence the government types of other civilisations. If point 1) above is taken, then diplomatic favor could be re-used for such a mechanic: essentially a kind of diplomatic strong-arming or sweet-talking to get a better deal than you normally could. Accompanying this would also be a sharper relation between tourism and government in the late game.
  • Puppet cities, again as per Civilisation 5.
  • Unit gifting, yet again like Civilisation 5. Simply being able to park a unit in another's territory and click a button to give it to them would add wonderful strategic depth.
These are all from Civilisation 5 not because I have a deep nostalgia for it, but because they were good and smart gameplay options which could enhance the otherwise better gameplay of 6. Admittedly, I have no suggestions for making the AI handle this increased complexity: most of these would have the biggest impact in multiplayer.

If I were a pragmatic business director , I would stop here and start preparing for the next opus , letting the wave of humankind pass. Once most ppl played it at length , I would start a new cycle of announcement and release. Now as a player , I think they never finished civ6 and that's a bad conclusion. It sure has a lot of content but the mechanics are still too raw , wether it's on the core or the mods.

Top Bottom