Lord Elizabeth and Lord Catherine

sgrig

Comrade
Don't know if this was mentioned before, but it seems the leader titles aren't gender-specific, so we get Lord Elizabeth and Lord Catherine... Just sounds weird - surely should be Lady Elizabeth and Lady Catherine?

In English, "he" is the gender-neutral form as well as the male one. So you can say "his battleship" and it could be a man or woman that owns it. But Lord is definitely wrong!

But if you know the specific person you're referring to, you don't use a gender neutral pronoun.

Don't know if this was mentioned before, but it seems the leader titles aren't gender-specific, so we get Lord Elizabeth and Lord Catherine... Just sounds weird - surely should be Lady Elizabeth and Lady Catherine?
Confirmed using version 1.0.0.7 (demo)

In English, "he" is the gender-neutral form as well as the male one. So you can say "his battleship" and it could be a man or woman that owns it. But Lord is definitely wrong!

He is not gender neutral. "One" is neutral, but HE is definitely masculine.

compare: notice how the meanings change when you alter the subject from he/his to she/his.
She crashed her car. He is wearing a dress. One is wearing a dress
She crashed his car. She is wearing a dress. One is wearing a dress

Rat

He is not gender neutral. "One" is neutral, but HE is definitely masculine.

compare: notice how the meanings change when you alter the subject from he/his to she/his.
She crashed her car. He is wearing a dress. One is wearing a dress
She crashed his car. She is wearing a dress. One is wearing a dress

Rat

It's like happyturtle said, if you know the person's gender (like Lady Catherine or Mr Churchill) you should use the matching pronoun. But for an indefinite person using 'he' should not be taken by the listener that you're talking about a male.

When you mix them both in the above sentence, it sounds funny because you are mixing the definite and indefinite pronouns, which would never happen in reality, because you either know their gender or you don't.

Anyway I agree with the original claim that this is a bug (the kind of thing that gets left to the end of development and then they ran out of time is my guess).

But for an indefinite person using 'he' should not be taken by the listener that you're talking about a male.

When you mix them both in the above sentence, it sounds funny because you are mixing the definite and indefinite pronouns, which would never happen in reality, because you either know their gender or you don't..

No, that is just lazy grammar. One should always attempt to use the correct corresponding nouns when the gender is unknown. It is really more an archaic usage brought on by pre-modern sexist stereotypes. Moreover, many writers play fast and loose with English because it has such weak gender casting; but it does exist.

Anyways I agree the typo needs fixing. lol

Rat

No, that is just lazy grammar. One should always attempt to use the correct corresponding nouns when the gender is unknown.

So what you are saying is: if you don't know a person's hair color, you have to randomly select one and write that. And if you instead write the truth, that you don't know, that's just lazy grammar?

So what you are saying is: if you don't know a person's hair color, you have to randomly select one and write that. And if you instead write the truth, that you don't know, that's just lazy grammar?

I don't know how you got to hair colour here. :confused:

All that I am saying is that using "he" to imply a neuter sense is sloppy. English does contain the means to convey ambiguity in nouns and pronouns and using 'he' is sloppy unless a gender bias is intended.

He is a pronoun; pronouns are used when the subject is KNOWN. If you do not know something as simple as the gender of the subject than the proper noun should be used and that noun would convey that ambiguity.

hence, using "he" is just a short cut and one that appears to be technically incorrect but valid because it has been filtered down as such in the past, due to sexist overtones.

Rat

Ok probably some other people have noticed this already but maybe no one has with low amount of female leaders :(

So your leadername changes on ground of your unlocked policies (the great, the pious etc) i think. I got Lord Elizabeth of the English. That just doesn't sound right

It does show a bit of poor attention to detail on the part of the designers and I'm surprised the testers didn't pick up on things like this.

Top Bottom