Lost in Plato's Cave? Don't worry, there is a light in the end

Do you know what you call a philosophy major ten years after he graduated? "Oh, waiter..."
Philosophy is insanely cool these days, actually. The information revolution has dramatically altered the landscape.

Touche'. But I'm sure you can do better than that and spin that knowledge into silver, if not, gold. :p
Sure, I can leverage physics knowledge in my career.

Philosophy is insanely cool these days, actually. The information revolution has dramatically altered the landscape.

Yo where do I start? I'm hanging out somewhere between pop pseudo philosophers and 90s constructionists. I'd like to move on.

Yo where do I start? I'm hanging out somewhere between pop pseudo philosophers and 90s constructionists. I'd like to move on.

Make a career as a post modernist philosopher.

Your book will be insanely short
1). Everything is relative
2). People choose what arbitrary values they find important

Boom! Instant success.

who are these 90s constructionists you speak of?

The best place to start IMO is the 80s (when philosophers started to really get a feel for computers) with Douglas Hoftstadter. "The Mind's I" or "Godel Escher Bach" gives good openings. His more recent "I am a strange loop" is another good pick.

^No :(

Only ancient greek philosophy is worth one's time, actually. Cause it is math-tied. Math and philosophy even begin with the same milesian.

Have you ever looked at modern analytical philosophy? It is intensely mathematical. I'd pick over Ancient Greek philosophy in terms of mathematical acquity (though I'll admit to not being very knowledgeable about Ancient Greek philosophy and my modern philosophy is still as an amateur)

Make a career as a post modernist philosopher.

Your book will be insanely short
1). Everything is relative
2). People choose what arbitrary values they find important

Boom! Instant success.

My first book for college was "excitable speech" by Judith Butler. Very short, very postmodern. She proves language is mutable by employing significant languagizational expansionationariism, while also demonstrating the confines. It was utterly illegible.

From what little I've seen of contintental postmodern word salad philosophy it seems to me there's a sort of method to the madness. Analytical philosophy targets the precise scientific/mathematical logical reasoning portion of the brain, which makes it very good at developing theoretical frameworks.

Contintental philosophy of this sort seems to be almost a meditative practice in a similar vein to Zen Koans. Where the goal is locate and play with subconscious idiosyncrasies. The philosophy then coming from the act of reading the material not the content itself. I'd like to at some point try to get into it a little more as a way of shifting gears.

Have you ever looked at modern analytical philosophy? It is intensely mathematical. I'd pick over Ancient Greek philosophy in terms of mathematical acquity (though I'll admit to not being very knowledgeable about Ancient Greek philosophy and my modern philosophy is still as an amateur)

Currently i have no time for any new reading... (ie not in mood, due to financial stuff).

Top Bottom