• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Lost posts: What happened?

Ares de Borg

Norman Knight
I noticed that all posts of some users were lost (all text replaced by "-------"), for example Etain and stico. Does anybody have a clue what happened?

But even banned users' posts remain around. Once in awhile a really egregious post (or on very rare occasion, thread) might get deleted, but I've never heard of all of a user's posts being deleted. I've also never heard of anyone successfully getting their account deleted - at most a self-requested temporary ban.

This may be a question for Site Feedback.

From the one hand, posts were edited in different time (7 hours difference) with different "........" length (looks like not auto-text, who and what for would change it?). From the other hand, Stico posted 512 times, so he did it manually, o'really?

About Stico - I remember he said he'll participate archaeological expedition so will be out for about a year, about Etain I have no info.

It looks like Wolfshade is right - it looks like they both deleted their posts over the course of a few hours, but several weeks apart from each other. And stico's at least do differ in length.

It looks like stico may also have deleted the city sets he uploaded; I don't see any of them in the database (although the Vedic Chariot is still there). Were they originally in the database, or just linked to from posts?

Either way it is rather odd. People do come and go, but it's unusually to so thoroughly delete one's posts.

Some people do that after having a spat with other users. I don't know about these two particular cases but it wouldn't be the first time I've seen a ragequit.

I really liked Etain and I was looking forward to playing his mod "Wheel of Fire". And he made some cool interface buttons. But when he left, he removed all of his posts and all of his work also.

Maybe a mod can roll back a thread to a previous date and recover some of the old posts and database files? I guess that would be risky though because we could potentially lose some of the newer posts...

Ragequit? Hmmm, I can't imagine a reason (except physical knock out) to leave a party, with so many cool people participating. Really strange for me, personally.

Maybe a mod can roll back a thread to a previous date and recover some of the old posts and database files?
Assuming that it was the original poster that removed the content, it would be unethical to repost them. Would you really want a moderator to arbitrarily re-edit your posts, changing what you wanted to say?

Has anyone attempted to contact either member? Or reported the situation to a staff member?

Assuming that it was the original poster that removed the content, it would be unethical to repost them. Would you really want a moderator to arbitrarily re-edit your posts, changing what you wanted to say?

Has anyone attempted to contact either member? Or reported the situation to a staff member?

Yea, I see what you're saying. I guess we should all have the right to edit our own posts however we want. It just bothers me when someone
replaces all of their posts with "....." and removes all of their content from the site.

Yes, yes and yes, starting from the end of May and especially at 22nd June - but I received no answers what happened here. Both modders in my eyes are not the type of "hotblooded" persons who get in a rage-quit from one moment to the other. The context of their last posts can be seen for everybody and there was really no reason to manually delete each of ones posts (what also consumes a lot of time). For me it seems more, that they were forced to delete their posts.

The circumstances here at present in my eyes are very mysterious. :assimilate:

Got word from stico today. His posts were deleted due to professional reasons - he wants his online reputation and googleability to be as clean as possible. So there was no rage, no illness, no hack, just the requirements of a modern man's career. Which is, as I would say, a very good reason.

Got word from stico today. His posts were deleted due to professional reasons - he wants his online reputation and googleability to be as clean as possible. So there was no rage, no illness, no hack, just the requirements of a modern man's career. Which is, as I would say, a very good reason.

I also got a message from him and can confirm what is written above. I wish him all the best and have to add, that at present I try to adopt his wonderful cities to my mod. :)

Edited: Removed the name of the modder in this post.

Well, I had the same reason for changing my name here. It used to be my last then first names. For considerations of my career, I asked the admin of this site to change my name to something more fun, specific to my likings, and not directly tracable to me.

If a member has good content and/or ideas, they chould have considered doing something similar, and not depriving us of their Genius.

Unfortunately I have no Genius that I could have deprived you of :p

Although it does raise a philosophical question - should it be necessary to do so for professional reasons? I could see why one might wish to do so for some forums - prisontalk, for example, is a forum that you might not want your name showing up on. But liking a strategy game is hardly a reason not to want to hire or work with someone. I guess I'm just a bit hard-pressed to see what the negative outcomes would be for someone who is a positive contributor with creative works to show for it.

I could see certain careers where someone may wish to revisit their Off Topic posts; perhaps some decide to err on the side of caution and remove all posts rather than just potentially more controversial ones in the Colosseum.

Regardless, it's better that this be the reason than a ragequit or hack.

I may be a bit biased, though, since if anything CFC has been beneficial to my career. Without Civ3 and CFC, I might not have a good answer for the interview question, "What sort of programming do you do on your own outside of work?" I also benefit from having a name that isn't particularly Googleable (and isn't my CFC name - sorry to disappoint those who thought my real-life name was Quintillus).

I agree that it is sad that people have to keep their Online Hobby Work anonymous but because it can be judged as the character or nature of an individual, in the world of today it is best to be anonymous Online.

As an example, I am certain there are many individuals who believe they understand my character or "who I am" from my work concerning Zombies :lol:

Top Bottom