LotR discussions

I'll bite on the Scouting Sid game, if you'll have me. I've been playing nothing but tough games lately in SGs anyway.

Originally posted by Arathorn
Austria might be nice, but we know nothing of them and I'm not up to modifying the game for its initial play...sorry, Belisar.

Your call on the civ.
AW or Semi-AW, this will certainly be an interesting variant. I'm looking forward to it. :)

LotR 10 Scouting Sid Roster:
Arathorn
Bam-Bam
Gothmog
Skyfish
Speaker
Reagan (?)

I'll run with 6 if that's the number that are interested. But Reagan is not in unless he claims a spot soon. If he misses this one, though, I imagine there will be other opportunities for Sid SGs! :)

LotR 11 Malevolent Mayans Roster:
Arathorn
Arizona_Steve
Belisar
Coffee
LKendter

Both games will start the 4th (assuming I can find a CD somewhere in the roughly 100 software stores in my willing-to-drive-radius). Both games will use the first round to set roster order -- whoever claims next is the next up in the roster (you'll name simply alphabetical listings above). This will hopefully give everybody a bit of time/leeway/flexibility in getting the game. On the 15th, whoever hasn't played must check in with intention to play, and rosters will become set. The release outside of North America is the 14th, so those (un)lucky folks there will only have one day to get their copy, in a way. That's the plan, anyway! Things are almost always open to modification, as time and circumstances require.

Game on!
Arathorn

Note that I am away for work Nov 16 - Nov 22 and then Dec 7 - Dec 13, I don't currently have a civ capable laptop (mine is Mac) so I'll be online but unable to play during that time. I've been putting off these trips for almost 3 years (due to my youngsters) and now they have both come due.

Duly noted...although I'll probably forget again come the actual dates -- please post reminders -- a signature with away dates works very well. We'll work skips as necessary -- no problem with that.

When will you be getting C3C?

Arathorn

I'll play if you'll have me. I plan to get the game on its release date.

Heh, your just a couple years in front of me Arathorn. Nice looking kids! I'll try to bring in a picture tomorrow for the thread, haven't seen much of you in OT before.

I have C3C on order at Amazon so I'll get it a bit after it ships, not the first day.

Cute kids, Arathorn (and I'm not just saying that because you asked me to).

Here are some semi-random thoughts about our game:

- We likely need to think before the game starts about how we want to try to win. The AI growth curve will be so steep that just trying to stay under the radar and going for a diplo or space victory may be our best bet. The pelago map choice should help us unless the AI's ability to invade islands has been improved. We also will want to focus on getting early contacts by taking advantage of our seafaring trait.

- We'll need to strongly consider our government choices, given the newly added governments and the significant change to Republic (double troop support costs). Given that we're not religious, we're not going to be able to afford too many strategy choices that lead to revolts.

- I like our civ choice. The cheap musket equivalent UU and getting to test drive two new civ traits should be enjoyable. Is it Tuesday yet?!

Please slot me last in the roster for LOTR11, I seem to be the only non-American in the team, sorry. Maybe I have to be skipped in the first round too.

Cute kids btw, looking forward to play with you old men. :D

My order is in. Pickup is the 5th. Looks like I have some reading to catch up on.

Cute kids Arathorn - 2 boys and a girl here, but I strongly recommend against having 3. Or rather 3 one and a half years apart.

@Reagan: I'm actually thinking the opposite tack might be much more profitable. Time and again, we've seen that the AI is very ineffecient at waging war -- it's probably its worst skill. If we can try to wage war effectively, I think we can make up more room than by simply trying to outproduce the AI.

I want to win by domination, ideally, with space as a good back-up plan. But that's me. Rest of the team?

Definitely agreed on the "Pick a government early" thought, but I've no clue which will be the best. Double-maintenance for Republic (are you sure of that?) makes things a lot harder.

I thought the civ choice a natural -- an ultra-pike will protect us very well through the Middle Ages (if we get that far) and a chance to test-drive the two new traits at the same time? Can't beat that. I just hope we don't crash into the first wall we find....

@Belisar -- no worries. We'll get it all worked out. I wish it wasn't an issue, but I can understand that there are issues with releasing a game worldwide.

@Coffee -- As I always say "We have two kids, which about three more than we can handle." I think we're done.

Arathorn

Am I sure about the double troop support in Republic? I'm positive of it, given the chart posted on the CFC main screen. Feudalism is worse -- 3x support costs.

I'm open to whatever approach the team thinks is best. However, I strongly urge everyone to read Sulla's post in the C3C Sid SG thread on the RBCiv board. The extra freebie units and bonus settlers the AI receives (not to mention an even deeper production discount) will make us bug-like (easily squashed) in at least the ancient age, if not fairly deep into the middle ages. I perceive that this is not going to be a situation wherein we can prune back a neighboring rival in the early game like one would on Deity. I suppose we'll find out soon enough, though, huh? :eek: :lol: :crazyeye:

Here's Sulla's message, for your convenience:

Good luck with Sid difficulty. It has been beaten before, but only through use of what I would consider highly questionable tactics - most notably, playing 80% water archipelago maps which completely negate the speed of AI expansion. I'd be willing to try again in the future, but not at present. Again, good luck - you'll need it.

Yeah, I saw Sulla's message. Like I've said all along, this is Scouting Sid, and I don't really necessarily expect a victory, although I think it's reasonable to try for one. I picked 'pelago partly to slow down the AI expansion, as you noted. And partly to make as much use of seafaring as possible.

Current thinking on Republic unit supports is 1 free/town, 3 free/city, 4 free/metropolis. And then 2 gold for each non-free. I don't THINK that will be much more expensive than the current model, with the level of troops I'm envisioning being needed. BUT, I will want to read the manual and I expect a number of discussions during the game to hopefully get us going in the right direction.

I've also done some playing around with the editor and played one game with 30% costs (not to conclusion -- and there were some other changes) and there are ways of dealing with it. Pointy-stick, late GL captures with inferior troops, min-sci runs, etc.

I'm thinking the changing of min-sci to 50 turns from 40 will be an additional big challenge, though. Only time will tell. And, who knows? Our starting position might dictate some odd decisions. I'm just eagerly anticipating the start....and all the discussion.

Arathorn

Speaker has expressed an opinion about not using an archipelago map. I had intended to do so all along, but probably with either middle or little water (I was leaning towards 70% -- the middle setting). Unless they've REALLY changed the map editor, it'll be fairly likely that some civs will share a landmass and others won't.

Do other people have an opinion? I hope to start this game in ~28 hours, but possibly no more than a 4000 BC start file. Chime in early, if you want a say!

My thinking is that I want to make the most use of the seafaring trait (which appears to me to be aimed towards suicide galleys) and to explore a lot of the changes in C3C. A slightly slower game with an archipelago seems natural to that end. I also play too many pangeas and continents.....

Arathorn

Top Bottom