LotR discussions

Tonight @ chez Bam-Bam

Bam-Bam: Time to get the kids to bed

Mrs. Bam-Bam: But we haven't eaten dinner yet....

:lol: @ Speaker taking me seriously... Ms_Arizona_Steve considers me to be the world's biggest brat :D

Took the game for a spin this evening, before noticing that Arathorn had posted the starts for both the Sid and Demigod games. Since it's time to let "Her Majesty" know that I'm still alive (ie. give her some attention), I guess I'll be playing my first turn tomorrow...

Have fun everyone!

Well, LotR10 and LotR11 are over. Very fun games. Both, surprisingly, ended in victory. It's time to start thinking about LotR12.

I'm leaning towards a AWDG or AWE game, with the "Arathorn" map (using that as a seed), probably with Rome, although Greece, China, and Sumeria are also under consideration.

However, if there's strong interest, I would consider one of these options:
- Sid on a pangea map
- H'wacha-fest -- some restrictions on a Korea game (sorta like passive but allowing artillery units to hit cities)
- Fun with Fundies -- all civs start in Fudamentalism govt. type. Probably on DG or D level

Interest in these games?

Arathorn

If you re-assemble our Sid team for a run at pangaea, there's a good chance I'll play (if you'll take me).

Arathorn, as you know, I sent you a PM. I'd love to join an LoTR12 game. Any flavor. AWD preferred.

OK...it's time to start another Epic game. I think I've recovered sufficiently from the sting of 12 and the exhiliration/exhaustion of 11.

IDEAS:
- My current favorite is to do "Schizo SGers", a passive always war game, probably at monarch or even regent, where we never attack cities but are always at war. Pillaging and forcing cities and culture flips and propaganda but hopefully dragging out that constantly-being-attacked feeling from early AW.
- "Conquering Sid". Sid with everything random and Conquest as the only allowed victory condition. Believe it or not, allowing only conquest makes the game EASIER, not harder, as you don't have to worry about space/culture/dipomatic losses, and once you're through the Modern Age (1500 AD?), tech pace doesn't matter. We'd have to expect to kill tens of thousands of units, though, so not for the faint of heart.
- "Sid on Pangea" -- just Sid on pangea. I'm not sure of the civ I would want for this. Mayans seems a reasonable option. Or Iroquois.

With either Sid game, I would want to discuss the ethics of certain strategies (Great Library Elevator, Funnel of Doom, Demand to Leave) which may be seen as exploits. Nice thing about AW is it's very hard to exploit the AI.

NOTE: Any LotR game will have lethal land bombard for bombers turned off for bombers (still on for stealth bombers, though, at this point).

Interest? Discussions? Thoughts?

Arathorn

It keeps track of shields killed, right? We could theoretically set one VP/shield and like 100,000 per city population and a limit of 1,000,000,000 or whatever for the game.

Then we could see shields killed and city population killed independently (of course, it the Schizo SGers gets through, there will be no city kills).

Since it's going to be a modified rules game anyway (I just can't stand the brokenness of lethal land bombard for bombers), there'd be no reason not to, if I can get it figured out nicely.

Nice suggestion. Would love to have you play, T-hawk.

Arathorn

Yes, unit scoring is always by shield count, and city scoring is always by population count. The game keeps track of each VP category separately anyway (on the F8 victory status screen), so you don't need to do tricks with the numbers. I *think* you still get VP for city captures by propaganda or flip, so the Schizo game could get some.

The Scenario Properties page in the editor doesn't always translate over to the full game (this is a buglet which is slightly different between some of the patch versions). On the New Game screen in-game, click over to the Victory Limits dialog and set up the VP parameters there - that's reliable.

I'll join in for either Schizo or Sid Pangaea; would prefer Schizo. Conquering Sid would be just too big, and the strategy is already pretty clear, just turtle until accumulating 50 artillery and kill AI cities one at a time with no losses as usual.

I'm definitely interested in the "Passive AW" game (probably not surprising given my warmongering tendencies). I can see this being challenging for somewhat longer than regular AW, which usually becomes a slaughter at about the time of cavalry.

Here's hoping I don't pull off another LotR12 type turn. And make sure England is there. I want to kick their butt this time!

Top Bottom