LotR Series...

I don't know what the LotR series will hold for Civ5. In Civ3, this series was one of the more challenging and daring series. For Civ4, well, I think we had a number of interesting games, but I didn't get into Civ4 nearly like I did Civ3. I still had some fun, though. Civ5 promises to be different again. I know little of it (been trying to avoid spoilers), except that it's coming out VERY soon.

I do want to get a jump on things, however, so I'm putting this announcement in my old Civ4 (and probably even Civ3) SG threads, so that people I've gamed with before might notice and think about joining in the fun.

All games in the LotR series will be hosted by me, Arathorn. I generally run 0-2 games at a time. Anyone is welcome to sign up. Most games fill first come, first served, but it all depends on the game (the first LotR Civ5 game, for example, will be different in that regard). Please use this thread for sign-ups and/or rules questions before the game(s) begin. I will put this message into the Civ5 SG forum once it opens! :D

General rules -- maximal ethics in play at all times. Do the right thing at the right time. Have fun. Do your best. Be courteous. Etc. etc. etc. We play whatever start we get nearly every time, even if it looks like a really bad start. Only if the variant assumes something (like early contact/fighting) will I restart. Isolated? Crunched? Bad land? We deal with it. I also highly encourage discussions and discourse and planning and thoughts and justifications and LONG reports, preferably with semi-significant detail. I also run a 24/72 system (instead of most people's 24/48) -- that is, 24 hours to claim, 72 to play and report. As long as you're there and communicating, I'm quite fine if it takes a little longer to play and report.

The first Civ5 game will be something very similar to this....

LotR28 -- Random Rollicking for Returning Refugees
Version: Civ5 out-of-the-box
Civ: Random
Difficulty: One level above the "middle"/"even" level
Win condition: Anything goes
Variant(s): NONE
Participants: For the first LotR Civ5 game, priority seating will be given based on the number of previous LotR games played in. Sign-up time will break ties. YOU MUST HAVE THE GAME IN HAND BEFORE SIGNING UP!!! Also, no beta-testers allowed. This rule is on the honor system, but all of us in LotR28 should be playing the game with very few preconceptions (just what we've gained from games on our own). Sign-ups will close September 24th at 11:59 p.m. CDT, if I have enough signed-up at that point. Sign-ups begin now, in any of the LotR threads. All other Civ5 games must be signed up for in the Civ5 thread (once it exists).
Start Date: September 25 (I hope)

Hope to see everybody around!
Arathorn

What a surprise, a 1y old thread coming back (Glad that I didn't unsubscribed it)

I will be lurking your game with interest.
(I won't have Civ5 for a while, since I will need a new computer or serious upgrade and more important more free time :) )

Have fun

Jabah

Hi,

good to see you try Civ 5, Arathron! :goodjob:

YOU MUST HAVE THE GAME IN HAND BEFORE SIGNING UP!!!
What, no owners of digital copies allowed? :p

Sign-ups will close September 24th at 11:59 p.m. CDT, if I have enough signed-up at that point
The game will come out on the 24th here in Germany, and so I expect my preordered analog copy (*gasp* how oldschool! :eek: ) to arrive 1-2 days later. But I will lurk your SG; please post a link in this thread once it's started, thanks! :)

-Kylearan

Free time? What's that?!? I plan on playing while mowing the lawn. :p

If sign-ups are slow, then you might get in anyway!

And I expect there will be more than one game in the Civ5 LotR series, unless it's as bad as MoO3.

Arathorn

Top Bottom