LotR29 Odd Aztecs

I have Tenochtitlan working on an armory to get us even more promotions for our units, something that we're going to be needing. Did the AI declare war because we attacked the Iroquois Capital?

I have Tenochtitlan working on an armory to get us even more promotions for our units, something that we're going to be needing. Did the AI declare war because we attacked the Iroquois Capital?

I'm not sure. All his turn log said is...

IBT- Napoleon offers a very nice peace agreement. We are no longer losing money!
Turn 15- Near the Iroquois capital.
IBT- Cathy declares on us!
Turn 16- Start attacking Iro capital.
IBT- Everyone but the French and Chinese declares on us!

I'm wondering if the Iroquois paid others to help him out? Also, why did we attack the capital? We want him to survive, correct? Or was this just a way to force a good peace deal?

While normally I would say we're currently in a bad situation, for this SG its a good thing. :crazyeye:

I was trying to eliminate the Iroquois threat by destroying his chances to win through military. Thus, he would leave us alone.

Teno: While an armory would be nice, in our current situation I think I'd switch to units until after the first wave of units hits us. Since we currently have no units near the city, I'd be tempted to buy a spear.

The Iro have a mine on that iron just south of Grand River and it appears as the only iron resource they have. While it's outside of the city range, there is another archer nearby, but we should pillage their iron ASAP.

While I'd rather not lose our puppets, we can't lose our only city, so we need to move most of our army back to protect our only city. The horse (4/10 HP) can reach home next turn.

I tried talking Napoleon into attacking Japan or Gandhi, but he wouldn't even discuss it. I couldn't figure out where China was, so I just randomly tried other AI and she wasn't willing to discuss any of them. I'm curious if we'll see much of a wave at all, or if most of them will be false wars. Just in case, I'd prefer to have units at home.

Things were going okay until the Indians arrived.

We lost Hanoi, and one swordsman. The Russians looked threatening, then retreated, and now have a few swordsmen around Grand River. The Iroquois have been milling around and not attacking much. We have killed a number of enemies, mostly the Iroquois. Nobody wants to talk peace. We did sign a Pact of Cooperation with the Chinese, for all the good that might do.

If Gandhi stops now that he has Hanoi we should (maybe) be able to hold Grand River. Tenochtitlan has a citizen in the library and will produce a GS in not very many turns. I would suggest grabbing Steel and a quick upgrade to longswordsmen.

Arathorn -> UP NOW
Methos
Sparthage
Jaffa Tamarin

Attachments

• LotR29_0130 AD-0375.Civ5Save
    716.9 KB · Views: 265
Well, I know what Ghandi was talking about when he declared on us then. He said the opportunity was now.

From the screenshot it looks like Gandhi has two maritime allies. I don't like facing off against knights and cats with swords and horses, so I agree, bulb Steel.

I'll take a look at the save tomorrow, but looks like it's going to be interesting. I believe this is my first Civ V SG that isn't a walk in the park. :D

I got it. Don't know if I'll have time tonight or not.

And it seems like this particular variant makes things more interesting. YEAH! I'm happy to see things on edge. I'll see what I can do to get us militarily more healthy and try to dig out of our diplomatic hole with some peace.

I'm OK fighting one generation of units behind, if I at least have comparable production. But we're production (and gold) poor, as well as being behind technologically. Plus, we have multiple foes. That makes everything much more ... interesting! :D

I'll try to provide a much fuller report, too.

Arathorn

And it makes for an interesting SG to follow. :hammer: Slightly more details in the reports would be nice, though. :love:

I had more details in my notes for my turns. There were things like "turn 122, kill two archers with swordsmen, archers bombard mohawks for pathetic damage". But I read back through and it was all just confusion and impossible to follow without pictures.

I guess I could have gone back and grabbed more screenshots from the auto-saves. I didn't think of that :blush:

Just checked and none of our opponents will even discuss terms. The two that will talk to us have no :gold:, so selling lux isn't happening. We only have one source of iron left and currently have three swords, so I'm thinking we should use that last remaining iron source for a cat. I'm not seeing any mounted units in the area, so I'm thinking we should build a cat next, followed by a spear just in case. The sword NW of Grand River needs to move off of the plains tile. Since we're playing a defensive game I really don't like negative modifiers. Next turn we gain another SP and I really like the Honor: Professional Army policy. We're not doing good on :gold:, so the 50% off upgrades would be nice.

Research-wise I'm not for sure which direction to go. As has already been stated, we earn a GS in seven turns, so bulbing Steel and upgrading our swords is a definite, but what to research, I'm unsure. Knights would be nice, but so would sticking to the bottom tree.

The sword NW of Grand River needs to move off of the plains tile. Since we're playing a defensive game I really don't like negative modifiers.

I believe he has shock promotions, which mitigate the -ve modifiers (a unit with shock III is better off defending on open terrain, if I have the numbers right). Also, I don't think he can go anywhere that isn't open terrain, and if he stays where he is at least he gets to heal (and keeps the GG bonus).

I actually thought about using the GG to put down a citadel, for huge defensive bonus.

India had mounted units around Hanoi, and very likely still does.

Edit: also to note, we could put another citizen in the library and get the GS quicker, but would lose some production.

Sorry for the long delay. Life has been crazy busy, plus the turns were FAR from easy to play, because we're under pressure, the kids have been demanding the computer, I was trying to take lots of screenshots, I had a crash, and it just took a while. Anyway, here's all of what happened.

We have to be aggressive, because if our city gets surrounded, we're toast. So we have to take the fight to the enemies.

Also, we have advantages in jungle, so I attacked out. And with double xp, I got to use my favorite promotion for the first (but not the last) time this turn.

That healing regardless of behavior is HUGE. It allows units to be used essentially all the time. Attacking and defending both and never really needing to rest and heal is a major advantage. Far and away my favorite promotion.

Moving on, I try to fight more units. But there's nothing else to fight safely. The east is safe(ish) and the west is scary, so I pull troops west. I did, however, take our new social policy and move us towards a better army (once our GS finishes). And it's one-fifth of the way to utopia. :p We still have a very VERY long ways to go.

And, at the end of one very long first turn, it looks like this...

More coming later....

Arathorn

That healing regardless of behavior is HUGE. It allows units to be used essentially all the time. Attacking and defending both and never really needing to rest and heal is a major advantage. Far and away my favorite promotion.

I completely agree. I always try to get to the march promotion as quickly as possible for melee units.

FYI: I'm going to be mostly without internet for the rest of the month. If my turn comes up, I won't be able to play again before December.

Maybe I missed it, but do you have a plan for how many cities to own? I guess you don't want to go ICS in this game. :p

It's my understanding that each additional city increases the amount of culture required to earn a policy by 30%. Due to our "Odd Aztecs" rule additional cities would hurt us, more then help. We did discuss this some early in the game, but the discussion was very limited.

FYI: I'm going to be mostly without internet for the rest of the month. If my turn comes up, I won't be able to play again before December.

I'm guessing all of us Americans are going to have this trouble due to the Thanksgiving holiday. I'll have limited internet activity between Thursday and Saturday too.

Next interturn is pretty boring. Our forces are OK ... for now. I dare to move a bit towards India, killing a unit on the gems. That swordsman sees....

Yeah -- two knights and a war elephant, in addition to the sword and horse in the south. That's going to take some serious killing. As you can see, I'm working on Civil Service -- pikemen and it leads to Chivalry for knights. I think those are rather critical. Plus, CS will provide a bit more food.

Meanwhile, the east is starting to heat up a bit, as the Americans come in.

I have to bring a horseman back. Between bombardment and flat land and reinforcements, we should be OK over there -- unless a bunch more units come, in which case we have a fairly short road walk back.

That sword dies.

As you can see, though, it wasn't the only unit being sent.

An archer in front becomes easy xp for our horse, though. And a bit of culture to lead us to our next social policy. :crazyeye: Only another few hundred units to kill.

In the west, at least, we can fight in jungle. With triple drill and the jag bonus still in effect, our swords are TOUGH in the jungle. Kill a war elephant and even being surrounded, I feel OK.

I also take care of a wounded unit with a horse and retreat away.

Then things get ugly. I mostly have to just heal, despite the presence of way too many enemy units....

And, again, I can't do a whole lot. East feels secure, so the horse has to come back, because things are getting crazy in the west with other forces arriving....

It's getting really dicey, but a couple turns of healing in our lands (despite moving) and picking off a few units here and there should hopefully see us through. OTOH, we're close to being totally surrounded, which is always a bad thing.

Arathorn

Unfortunately, our forces in the west are a tiny bit light, because the Americans returned in a bit of force....

With a unit on hand, I should be to take care of things, but I can't do it without any units.

Grand River was attacked on the interturn. It's damaged but OK. I have to attack with units, move the archer out of the city so I can have another unit pass through (stopping momentarily to give the city a higher strength for bombardment). I have to keep attacking and attacking, though. Odds are in our favor, at least....

I attack. The northwest is scary, though.

I try to do what I can to keep casualties minimized. OK, to avoid all casualties.

I have to burn a promotion on insta-healing, however. There are just too many units around and horses don't defend well.

A nerve-wracking interturn later holds a lot of good news.

Great scientist for Steel. Catapult completed, so another unit can be built (spear, to deal with horses). And of course both cities have units in range to attack.

First things first....

Longswords are better than swords, if I can spare a moment to promote them. We have enough gold....

And we do have one sword who is too injured to do anything right away. He's in a reasonably protected location. DO IT!

Picture limit has me making multiple posts....

Arathorn

It's not long before longswords are in action. Trying to save Grand River.

I also work on cleaning up what's left of the north, including the knight which caused my single casualty this turn -- a worker.

Unfortunately, that breathing room doesn't last. I can push through things a bit in the south, to clear out some space. While I am doing that, things get even uglier all around. Another foe shows up. And India brings in its own longsword.

It's not exactly pretty.... Though it does have a lot of colors....

I'm able to clean up things a little bit before I pass off. But the east is getting dicier. Wimpier units, at least. And I have a few troops moving that direction, as Tenochtitlan is our most important lifeline.

I have been checking every turn for peace and for the ability to sell luxes to our non-enemies. China has started to show hints of an income, so we might be able to sell for gpt soon. I didn't check this last turn.

Peace has not worked. Nobody is willing to talk. My experience is that we should start getting some peace offers in the next 10 turns. I have made peace with city-states as alliances have ended. More peace is good. I would NOT make peace with India until we've recaptured Hanoi and maybe another city or two. Puppets, of course.

As for the holidays ... let's just have whoever can play claim and play. Methos, you would have first rights, but if somebody else can grab and play between the four of us, great. If we have to take extra time, that's fine, too.

Also, did the pictures help tell the story?

Arathorn

Attachments

• LotR29_0140 AD-0600.Civ5Save
    801.4 KB · Views: 245
Also, did the pictures help tell the story?

That depends.... If you were attempting to inspire fear, then yes! :eek:

As for the holidays ... let's just have whoever can play claim and play. Methos, you would have first rights, but if somebody else can grab and play between the four of us, great. If we have to take extra time, that's fine, too.

I've got it, but not sure I'll have time to play my full ten turns. I'll keep the save until Wednesday afternoon, just before I go to work and then pass it off. For now...

'Got it'.

Top Bottom