Louis XIV (Industrious-Deity series)

obsolete

Deity
Louis XIV (Industrious-Deity series)

Here's a leader which I really don't bother using. Actually I never care for any of the French leaders, but since he is industrious, and Louis was suggested at the end of the Ramesses II game, I guess it's time to give him a shot. It has to be either sooner or later....

Anyhow, I will try to go after some other things besides the Lighthouse in the next few games for some more variety of strategies. Of all the possible wins, I have gotten them all in the past EXCEPT for an AP religious one. So now I really am itching to finally get this thing all figured out once and for all. I spent ages avoiding it because the initial release seems to have made it just too damn game-breaking strong. I hear it's been toned down a bit, but still is too game-breaking, but we shall see for ourselves. That is, IF I am successful in even building (or capturing) it first. Haha.

Industrious-Creative is sort of a weird combo, but nevertheless, let's get down to busting up some more deities...

:: Industrious-Deity Series Archive ::

IND / CRE isnt as bad as you think it is, it just isnt as powerful as Ramases or Hauyna Caupac.

If however you are going for a religious win, then Rameses is better, louis is more suited for a GA generating wonder tactic and using Artists as opposed to Priests. The UB also gives you a free artist in each city which helps a little more for culture wins.

Looks like you got one of those dreaded coastal capitals again. :(

Anyway, good luck. I will be lurking.

Yeah, on Arhi-maps that sort of is expected 90% of the time... But if it works here, it will work anywhere.

Cottage Trasher? Foreshadowing a pillage-fest?

I thought the name was more suited, since I keep forgetting to build them, but keep trashing them instead :p

============================================

Turn 0
Spoiler :

Looks like I won’t be getting any metals or horses near the capital. But at least there will be decent food. I decided it would be best to get a worker up first, then use my free agriculture tech.

Turns 0-10
Spoiler :

Scouted around a bit more, looks like nothing but useless desert up north. And there isn’t that much room down south. Also, we ran into Boudica very, very early. So I may be in a real heap of trouble here. What a really crappy way to start off.
I thought about it and there is no way I’m going to win this one, so I decided to cancel the game and re-roll a new map after this turn.

Just kidding...

Turns 10-20
Spoiler :

As you can see, almost no change. Nothing much to update. I moved my warrior up to the north, and it looks like Boudica must be to the north-east somewhere. My food-plot is up and running, so now time to mine a hill. And then I need BW to remove these forests.

Turns 20-30
Spoiler :

On turn #23, my warrior at full health, on a forested hill, ends up dying to a badly injured barb that tried to attack. God help me with deity barbs...
Anyway, since the shot from that turn really is nothing still to look at, I decided to use the shot from turn #31 here.

Turns 30-40
Spoiler :

I really wasn’t sure if I’d win the race for Stonehenge or not. It seems silly since I am cultural already, but I just want to get some priest points in the pool. Now that I think about it, I really picked a poor leader to go after the AP on deity, but it’s too late to correct that decision now...
Current tech... Fishing.. so I can get some whipping power online if I need it.

Turns 40-50
Since I have no shots from this turn-set, I can assure you that nothing interesting could have happened.
-ni

Turns 50-60
Spoiler :

Tuna-City going up. The more cities I get, the more likely I am to get Boudica’s religion. IN THEORY ANYWAY!
Tuna-City lacks production, but the food SHOULD make up for that. I’ll have to share that clam plot between the city and the capital.

Turns 60-70
Spoiler :

Cow-City went up on turn #64. One advantage here at least is I can get the hill and cow operational with my traits, without having to wait for caste first, or building a stupid obelisk. Actually, it doesn’t matter since I own the henge anyway, see this leader just doesn’t go well with the strategy I was planning to employ..
The good news, is that hindu spread to me this turnset, so I was able to finally convert before having to worry about a major war with Boudica BC, but we are not out of the hot-water yet...

Turns 70-80
Spoiler :

We revolted again, but this time to Organized Religion. And then I started working on ToA (yes without a hope in hell of getting marble). I either want that free priest, or I want to use the gold-exploit to get Theology as fast as possible.
Anyhow looks like before 1120 BC someone already had build the Oracle.
I also ended up trading Mono to Boudica for Animal Husbandry.

Turns 80-90
Spoiler :

On turn 86 we ended up getting our first priest. My science is hurting because I am trying to avoid running any scientists to make SURE I don’t get screwed by pollution. I could of course gamble, but if it doesn’t work... I could have a lot of problems on my hands... So I’m taking it very slow here, but safe.

And on turn #86, we had opened up theology with all the bulb pre-requisits, so I ended up doing my first and only bulb for the game. God I hate wasting priests this way, but by doing it in 700 BC I have a chance to not just be the first to Theo, but I get a monopoly on Christianity. This is one of those rare times where I am beelining to a religion, instead of stalling.. stalling.. and stalling just to avoid it. Haha!
We also had traded Priesthood for Meditation to shave of 4 turns.

And, we are currently building pyramids in Cow-city to build wealth. At least I THINK I was building it at this time, can’t see in my shots for sure.

Turns 90-100
Spoiler :

575 BC and we put the last hammer into the ToA. I was not really counting on completing this one, but expected to get some wealth most of the time. But hell, since it still hasn’t been completed this late, I’ll gladly take the wonder now.
Looks like SH already doubled its culture, 16c really is pretty damn good for a BC building if you think about it.
Next wonder on the que... is the AP.

Louis is one of my fav leaders. Maybe not at deity, but at lower skill levels he is a really strong leader imo. Cre/Ind synergizes very well around a warmongering-SE (cheap libraries, theatres, coliseums, forges; fast border pops; important wonders; etc.). Plus he starts with ag/wheel, which is nice. His UU goes nicely with later mounted units for blitzing through enemy empires. His UB is ok and fits nicely with the warmongering-SE theme.

Boudica doesn't declare war at pleased but was she cautious when she went in WHEOOHRN? Just curious because you may be a target. I'm assuming it was because of her meeting charlemagne that she went into WHEOOHRN. This is making me look forward to the next segment :).

70-80 Turnset - She was cautious with no WHEOOHRN and Charlie was met by you at least i'm assuming she met him too.
80-90 Turnset - She is WHEOOHRN and is pleased.

I was a bit worried about that, but when we went pleased it happend about the same time so I'm not sure how it is handled by the Que status.

On the one hand, she shurely hates Charle more than me, but then on the other, she must be closer to me than him. And then again... she could already be at a war with someone else, after all we just don't have enough information yet.

The good news is I have so much culture, I have a very long range of sight, so I will see her SoD with many turns of warning before it gets to me, and my capital will have lots of culture defense and be in the front position, protecting the rear cities. So all I decided to do for now is just continue with my building plans, and wait and see... IF I see a SoD near the border, I do have a choice to DoW first, but that would really mess up my future plans.

The other worry, is Charle, who made me his worst enemy already. But for all I know, Boudica may DoW him, and that surely would fix all those problems really fast.

Anyhow.. the die is cast now.....

All good points, I look forward to seeing what happens. I forgot about the fact that she could be at war with someone else too. Maybe you should send a troop through her lands and explore since you have open borders. Maybe you'll meet a few more people.

I see you managed to use a foreign religion to increase your happy cap. And I guess it was lucky that your capitol is in front facing the enemy.

I am always slightly annoyed to notice that the ai almost always goes for a religion right out of the gate. Now I appreciate it a little more that they do.

If you weren't going for a religious heavy opening, what else and when would you have done something to increase the happy cap on this map?

Boudica and Hammy are the only two Agg leaders that have never declared war on me as long as I keep them cautious. Hammy is a good tech trader, whereas boudica doesnt like to trade much, however she is one of the few AIs who will easilly sign defensive pacts on pleased. In my recent games I have had both sitting bull declare on me for refusing his tribute demands, and recently Wang Kon backstabbed me while he was pleased, and both of them are usually considered peaceful. But I have Boudica backing me up with a defensive pact in most of my games which is always nice to have and one of the few AIs worth accepting her tributes and requests for help to get her to defend you later on.

On the one hand, she surely hates Charle more than me,
The other side of this is that Charley hates her, and will probably get snotty about it. I think you dodged a bullet, because if its not a Zealot who founds his own religion, you may not have been able to avoid Boudi.

As I look at Louis, I think he probably does a better EE, with the military based on Musketeers and Curissiars and Spys to take down defenses. Of course, this is also better on Fractal and Pang/Cont type maps, where the 2 moves is stronger. Thats the thing about Louis on watery maps like this, his UUs edge is mostly negated, because you will be more likely to be attacking after a naval landing on the tile next to the city.

If you weren't going for a religious heavy opening, what else and when would you have done something to increase the happy cap on this map?

Too many variables to answere...

================================================

Turns 100-110
Spoiler :

I gifted Boudica theology to increase relations, because I was ready to switch to Christianity and want some sort of diplo-buffer.
Then, on turn 105 we finished the Apostolic Palace. The next turn we won the chair by voting for ourself, haha. But no resolutions ever came.

We later switched back to Hindu and finished the Pyramids in Cow-City. Looks like the AI’s were very late for some reason. Good indication there must be some warmongers about, and no stone. This map may get very bloody...

Turns 110-120
Spoiler :

We ended up working on the Hagia Sophia. Yeah, weird as I always avoid making this silly wonder. 2x speed of workers, and it obsoletes so quick! But what the hell, I’m trying something different this game, and besides, it gives GE points.

We popped a GM, which was settled because I decided to go after SSE due to the mids. And then on the last turn-set we run into Shaka.

Seems he is also wehorn, but he’s not fighting Boudica. Hmm, and for some reason we have +1 for years of peace, despite we haven’t even known each other for a single turn yet. Someone want to explain this nonsense?

Turn 120-130
Spoiler :

We gave/trade Shaka a whole ton of stuff and made him a close ally.

And then, sadly I realized TGL went in 325 AD.

AD!!!

Did you hear me? AD not BC. Eeeeeek. That’s pretty frieken slow for deity, the slowest I’ve ever seen. If only I had known this earlier, I would have changed my whole beginning strategy around and gone for the whole batch of things... too late now though  There must be some serious warring going on, and most likely Boudica is tied up in one of those along with Shaka.

Turn 130-140
Spoiler :

We ended up getting the Sophia after all.... this is definitely another first.

At the end of this turn-set we popped another priest. Since I have no choice now but to spread Christianity around, I might as well burn him off on a shrine... this one and only time.

Turn 140-150
Spoiler :

Seems everyone is weehorn, but without contact with anyone else on the planet, I simply don’t have a good indication of what exactly is going on out there.
Also, we keep voting ourself to the chair, but nothing to vote on ever happens...

Turn 150-160
Spoiler :

We ended up with another priest, which gets settled. Nothing else much happened except a little bit of trading, and shrines going up.

Turn 160-170
Spoiler :

We ended up making contact with Hammurabi. And herein lays part of the mystery!
He is currently at war with both Shaka and Boudica. So now... what is Charle up to.. trying to sneak attack me?
Time to get another city up anyway. So here comes GoldFish city.

170-180
Spoiler :

We meet up with Suleiman. Which, seems to be weehorn TOO. No wonder why this was feeling like some monarch game. Whoever he is at war with, I don’t know yet either. Even liberalism didn’t get snatched until after 1K AD sometime, pretty frieken late.
Ahh, and then we met up with.... RAGNAR! Not really a surprise. And no surprise he is at war with Suleiman. He also seems to be worst enemy of Charle. Could it be Charle intends to DoW on him instead of me?

Also, last turn on this set we ended up with a GE. Thanks to our Hagia Sophia.

Turn 180-190
Spoiler :

Nothing much worth pointing out. The world is still all wehorn, and I’m just off busy spreading my religion. I’m not even caring anymore about racing to settle spots, I don’t think there is really even a point if this AP thing is supposed to work the way I understand it.

Turn 190-200
Spoiler :

I ended up settling 2 more cities this turn-set, on a couple islands out there. Again, I’m in no rush to land-grab, I really don’t think I need any to be honest.

And now, at the end of this turn-set, we pop yet another priest to be settled. We also are cranking out some Hindu missionaries too in order to get the 25% prod bonus.

There is only one problem that I am having. I can’t get Hammurabi to open borders to me, so I can’t spread my religion to him. This is going to make religious victory impossible. So far I have been asked a few times to DoW him, but this will only make opening borders worse. I fear I have no choice but to accept the DoW and help finish him off, or he could be the death of me in a manner of speaking.

As you can see, I already lost my friendly status with Boudica for my refusals. I think I have no choice now but to accept the next war-request, or hell I might as well just personally DoW now.

I've heard it is possible to spread religion to a closed nation by gifting them a caravel with a missionary in it; does that trick still work on BTS?

I've heard it is possible to spread religion to a closed nation by gifting them a caravel with a missionary in it; does that trick still work on BTS?

I believe that just results in giving away the caravel and the missionary getting dumped on the nearest valid tile.

The cheap trick to getting a missionary in is to take some crappy city (tundra is excellent), convert, and gift it back in the peace deal (or just let the AI retake it).

I think if you are voting yourself in and no one else is Christian or maybe a candidate, then there won't ever be anything to vote on.

Christ will bring peace to this map, if Hammy the heretic can be converted somehow...

I think if you are voting yourself in and no one else is Christian or maybe a candidate, then there won't ever be anything to vote on.
I think this is correct. As long as you are the only player running the AP religion, there will be no votes for anything. Keeping a monopoly on it means only you can get the +2 hammers though. Its a double edged sword. If you spread the AP religion around, you risk an AI spamming its own Missionaries and taking control away from you.

I always check with TMIT when I have AP questions, he has invested a TON of time into this line of play.

Top Bottom