Loveless movies?

Last, make it 35 years and it doesnt have to be a huge blockbuster, just a well known popular film. I think 1970 still counts as 'modern' or recent (depends who you ask I guess)

The new movie where its just a bunch of different comedians telling the same joke... forget the name off the top of my head.

Bozo Erectus said:
Last, make it 35 years and it doesnt have to be a huge blockbuster, just a well known popular film. I think 1970 still counts as 'modern' or recent (depends who you ask I guess)
The one I was thinking of is older than that, I'm afraid.

Bigfoot said:
Some others without love/romance: Memento, The Straight Story, Die Hard and Sexy Beast.

Memento definitely had romantic notions - the main character keeps imagining his vengeance for his girlfriend/wife, and the secondary plotline involving (the notion of, at least) the crazy guy killing his wife with insulin was all about the effects of his illness on her love for him.

Die Hard had some limited involvement with Bruce Willis' charcter's wife (at the very least in the first two).

@TLC: The only thing remotely in a similar ballpark I can think of would be 'The Professional' (/'Leon'). Not sure if you're familiar with it, but Jean Reno plays an imigrant assassin in NYC who takes in a little girl whose family was murdered by an extremely corrupt D.A. I really like the movie, but it always seemed to me to flirt with the line as far as the relationship between Leon the assassin and said girl bordering on overly romantic (/pedophilic). Incidentally, said girl was a young Natalie Portman, who of course went on to star in the Star Wars sequels, where she developed a crush on a tinkering pre-schooler. Coincidence, or typecasting? ;)

The Professional

The Last Conformist said:
The one I was thinking of is older than that, I'm afraid.
What movie? Examples are welcome even if they dont necessarily fit the criteria.

@Sparta, I agree about the Professional. It does seem to go right up to the line. I do think (iirc) that there was little doubt the Portman character had a crush on Leon.

edit: Momento Ive had for years and never actually gotten around to watching it:crazyeye:

Bozo Erectus said:
Heres probably a much more difficult task: Name one with no romance, sex, or violence:p

Good challenge! Not sure if this would qualify, but what about 'Pi'? No sex or romance whatsoever (unless you find math romantic, and perhaps you should for that movie), and the only violence I can think of is self-inflicted, so I'm not sure it counts. What are your thoughts on trepanning? ;)

'Coffee and Cigarettes' might qualify, but it's not that great a movie (has its moments though). Wait, actually it might not, as one scene revolves around a smoking hot woman. Bad pun intended.

OT: I'd highly recommend that you consider checking out Reservoir Dogs sometime, FWIW. Brace for violence though. And you're definitely correct about the girl's crush on Leon being a pretty conspicuous component of their relationship.

Bozo Erectus said:
What movie? Examples are welcome even if they dont necessarily fit the criteria.
Forgot the name. :idiot:

It's a several hours long shot of the Empire State Building at night; the only thing that happens is that lights in the windows go on an off. Apparently, someone thought this worth watching - I suppose they didn't have paint in those days.

How about 'A River Runs Through It'? I don't think there was any sex or romance there, unless you count violence to trout. ;) It was also a major film that was nominated for some academy awards IIRC.

CurtSibling said:
But raises questions about science, and implies that 'man should not try to be like god'...

That is someone's agenda in the script.
Or I suppose someone could say let's play God. But that would not seem to fit in with the rest of the movie

CurtSibling said:
But also the movie implies that 'god' is indeed real. And makes the out that belief seem 'hip' and 'the right thing.'

Again, someone is trying to tell us something.
Many people believe that "God" is real, afterall america is generally considered a religious country. If the movie had implied that God was not it probably would have gotten more flak than it already took from the religious community. I suppose you would rather have seen the movie take a negative view on the church but what can I say? I doubt that many people would change their views because a movie portrayed believing in a deity was "hip". It might influence them but not much. Furthermore, I must point out that movie was a comedy and a semi vulgar one at that. I will agree that Dogma does perhaps have a more pro-deist slant than the rest but that is because the characters are portraying angels and demons :p

CurtSibling said:
This is one I knew many would fail to pick up on.
Look at the trailer. Notice the letter 'T' in the word 'hostage.'
It lingers and glows for a visible second after the word hostage vanishes.
The 'T' is quite obviously a crucifix. I noticed this instantly, as did my friends at the cinema, some of whom are religious.

So it is not just 'atheist paranoia'. What was the meaning behind this?

Willis is a well-known devout religious type, but this is most likely the work of a marketing board...Why?
I had hoped you had a good reason for listing this one. I never noticed that, and even if I did I would:

I. Fail to see the significance
II. Forget about it by the time the movie was over

CurtSibling said:
I think you have to look harder. You are not convincing me here.

For your information, Gibson does not need the cash.
He wants to push his religion, hence why he made a censored
version of his christian snuff movie for the wider audiences.
He obviously didn't make to convert people. I dobt many atheists would be interested in seeing a movie about someone whom they believe is sham.

CurtSibling said:
Really?
Funny how you can make such a definite statement, based on what? What you want to believe?

I am talking about individual directors and creators here, not every studio in the USA.

Can you really keep a straight face and say that Mike Moore or Speilberg have no moral message to push in their productions?

Can you?
I have nothing else to base my statement on except my own beliefs. I am quite sure that you would probably come to the opposite conclusion based on your own feelings.

And No, I can't say that Moore or Spielberg have no moral message to their films, but I am saying that based on what I've seen they don't seem to be promoting religion.

I can't help but feel that we are thread jacking Bozo's thread. If you wish to continue debating we should take it to PM

2001? Or did one of the astronauts talk to his wife at the beginning of it?
There's nothing in O Brother Where Art Thou?, unless you count the brief scene with the sirens (which doesn't qualify as romance in my book).
The film version of Anthony Shaffer's Sleuth, with Lawrence Olivier and Michael Caine, uses desire for women as a plot device, but it turns out to be unimportant, and we never actually see any women except for a small painting.

Terminator II: Judgement Day

That one was released within the last 15 years, iirc. And it was a major action blockbuster.

Bozo Erectus said:
Heres probably a much more difficult task: Name one with no romance, sex, or violence:p
Little bit guesswork as I haven't seen it, but does Little Man Tate classify in that?
Also A Beutiful Mind comes to mind, but he was married...

Top Bottom