Low-caste Hindus adopt new faith

AVN

Deity
Source

Low-caste Hindus adopt new faith

Thousands attended the conversion ceremonies in Nagpur
Thousands of people have been attending mass ceremonies in India at which hundreds of low-caste Hindus (Dalits) converted to Buddhism and Christianity.
The events in the central city of Nagpur are part of a protest against the injustices of India's caste system.

By converting, Dalits - once known as Untouchables - can escape the prejudice and discrimination they normally face.

The ceremonies mark the 50th anniversary of the adoption of Buddhism by the scholar Bhimrao Ramji Ambedkar.

He was the first prominent Dalit to urge low-caste Indians to embrace Buddhism.

As the chief architect of India's constitution, he wrote anti-discrimination provisions and quota systems into the country's law.

But four-fifths of India's Dalits live in often isolated rural areas, and traditional prejudice has persisted in spite of official laws.

'Cry for dignity'

The Dalits arrived by the truckload at a public park in Nagpur for ceremonies, which began with religious leaders giving fiery speeches against the treatment of lower castes.

Reuters reported that dozens of riot policemen had turned out at the sprawling park.

Udit Raj, a Dalit leader, told the BBC that around 2,500 people converted to Christianity and Buddhism.

DALIT FACTS
167m people, 16.2% of India's population
Nearly 60% live in Uttar Pradesh, West Bengal, Bihar, Andhra Pradesh, and Tamil Nadu states
The lowest rank in Hindu society, beneath the traditional caste system
Expected to perform the most menial jobs, particularly handling cadavers and human and animal waste
Physical contact with a Dalit was traditionally considered ritually polluting for other castes
Even converts to Christianity and Islam have encountered discrimination from higher-caste converts

Joseph D'Souza, the president of the Dalit Freedom Network and a Christian convert, described the conversions as a "celebratory occasion".

"I think it's important to understand that this is a cry for human dignity, it's a cry for human worth," he told the BBC.

He said that Dalits could seek dignity by converting to Christianity, Jainism or Sikhism as well as Buddhism.

Buddhist convert Dhammachari Manidhamma told the BBC that social equality was impossible within Hinduism.

"Buddha's teaching was for the humanity, and Buddha believed in equality.

"And Hindu religion, Hindu teaching is nothing but inequality.

Laws against conversion

Similar mass conversions are taking place this month in many other parts of India.

Several states governed by the Hindu nationalist party, the BJP, have introduced laws to make such conversions more difficult.

Hundreds of Dalits converted to Christianity and Buddhism

The states of Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh and Tamil Nadu have all passed laws restricting conversions.

Gujarat has reclassified Buddhism and Jainism as branches of the Hindu religion, in an attempt to prevent conversions away from Hinduism eroding the BJP's bedrock support.

Hinduism teaches that most humans were created from parts of the body of the divinity Purusha.

According to which body parts they were created from, humans fall into four basic castes which define their social standing, who they can marry, and what jobs they can do.

But Dalits fall outside this system and are traditionally prevented from doing all but the most menial jobs or even drinking from the same water sources as other castes.

I think it's interesting that people mass convert as social protest against upper class oppressors. But I also wonder if this will really solve their problems. Aren't they considered apostates by the Hindu majority now, with all sorts of negative consequences ?

I always read about hinduism that the upper class was very opressive of the lower castes because they felt they "deserved" it since they attained that position through bad karma and reincarnating as a lower caste as a result.

So this would make the hatred towards them worse i guess.

Good for them. The Hindu caste system is hateful, and the "untouchables" should be allowed to break free.

So Hinduism is not just at all. Hmm, well at least seeing this Christianity and other faiths without this Caste systems are just. Dont want to be in a religion where it still practaces the caste system that dates back to the middle ages.

AVN said:
Source

I think it's interesting that people mass convert as social protest against upper class oppressors. But I also wonder if this will really solve their problems. Aren't they considered apostates by the Hindu majority now, with all sorts of negative consequences ?

Let's face it in order for India to progress it needs to get over the caste system, it's much like the feudal system in Europe in that it keeps the majority of the population from achieving it's potential and thus it holds the country back. But this report shows some sort of movement towards equality, let's hope they get there eventually.

Well it's clearly a social problem rather than a religious problem. Hopefully this religious protest will help wake people up to the underlying social issues here.

I know of 1 hindu whoose family converted to Christianity because of this issue. The Hindu caste system is deeply entrenched in the mindset of the Indians. I have heard Indians telling me that they can identify an untouchable even if they have converted to another religion.

Shaihulud said:
I know of 1 hindu whoose family converted to Christianity because of this issue. The Hindu caste system is deeply entrenched in the mindset of the Indians. I have heard Indians telling me that they can identify an untouchable even if they have converted to another religion.

Yep this is a cultural thing unfortunately. This changing wont happen overnite.

But as india becomes more modernized i bet this will change ever gradually.

I heard about this in the newspaper today. The caste system was banned in the 1950's or earlier, at the behest of Ghandi. But it persists in the rural areas and more conservative households. But legally speaking it does not exist and no distinctions are made, but the attiude of rural and conservative society must change. In my expierence living in the city i have never even heard caste being mentioend ever, I doubt most people even know which caste they are and even if they do know they don't care. With time, education and development this will change, it is already chagining.

Indeed, good for them.

I have to say, all this article did was compel me to do a little research on the BJP (Indian People's Party). It's nice to know there's a political entity that denies Buddhists and Muslims the right to not call themselves Hindu. :sad:

I have to say, all this article did was compel me to do a little research on the BJP (Indian People's Party). It's nice to know there's a political entity that denies Buddhists and Muslims the right to not call themselves Hindu.

BJP was in power in in 1999 till about 2004 I think. Under them India expierenced it greatest economic growth, and frankly I want them back in power regardless of the commounalisim. Its a pity they were unable to win majority in the Lok Sabah and institute major reform, but I hope they will be relelcted.

I heard that there is a sort of "affirmative action" in schools in India to help low caste to access better education. Any Indians can explain this further?

I heard that there is a sort of "affirmative action" in schools in India to help low caste to access better education. Any Indians can explain this further?

Yes the quota system. The most stupid thing ever. The government has decided that rather than providing universal education to all people, it would instead institute a quota in educational instituions such as universitys. The quota states that at least 35% or so of people in the university must be of socially backward castes. Periodically the quota is hiked up and there is a massive contoversy and protests (medical students most recently) but the gov gets its way in the end.

Basically what happens in that to fill the quota universitys admit people who are not up to standard. So bacially in the other 65% of seats are filled, then a Bharmin with higer marks, and record will not be admitted because a lower caste persorson with lower marks and record is admitted. So its not very meritocratic. And most of the so called Scheduled Castes are the ones that go on to become lazy civil servants who are never fired and stay at their cushy job for life and rake in a pension after retirement.

At one point this was so bad that educated people from higher castes literally fled to other countries like US, Europe, UK, etc... because they could get better jobs and educational oppurtunities there than in India. It was called the Great Indian Brain Drain, or something along those lines. Seems to have reversed itself now though. I knew a person who had a Masters of Arts and something and amazing grades. The best job she could get in India ould give her 5,000 rupees a month which is penuts.

She went to the US, a university gobbled her up, payed for everything full scholarship and all. Now she works for Infoysis, and makes 50 lakhs a year....so..yeah...

Every religion has its closeted skeletons, it seems Hinduism's is coming back to haunt it.

Silver, you can't honestly relate affirmative action's taking up government jobs and "inefficient adminstration" in India to something like the diaspora in India. Your friend left because there wasn't as many high paying jobs in India as there was in the United States. If anything, your merely scapegoating. There'd still be a diaspora even if there wasn't affirmative action.

Secondly, what part of claiming Indian Christians, Muslims, and Buddhists, have no right to not call themseves the lowest-caste in the Hindu faith don't you understand?

There'd still be a diaspora even if there wasn't affirmative action.

Of course there would I was never arguing that. I was saying that it is simply aggravating it, by even more drastically reducing acess to education and jobs.

Secondly, what part of denying Indian Christians, Muslims, and Buddhists, their right to not call themseves the lowest-caste in the Hindu faith don't you understand?

I'm not sure what your'e on about so...

How will this make a differance?

Will not high castes simply look down upon the converts jusit as much as before?

Oh well, quite hilarious.

Top Bottom