Mac GOTM Installers

128 MBytes is a hard limit on the size of drive you can address on a lot of Mac hardware/software combos. I can't remember the details. The easiest solution is to format it as two volumes.

hi, alan! though I'm not a 'maccie', as you know, I think your new 'All-in-one' is a really good idea :goodjob: . it's quite a big file, not as big as a lot of other mods, though. at least for gotm, mac-players have a better support than pc-players, now :) .
Currently I am preparing an update to my gotm mod scenario. I found out that the gotm25 savegame pak does contain a file ('anda swordsman.ini') that wasn't updated in the gotm25 gamepak - the reason for the change is just a missing 'fortify.wav' link, but I want to provide it with my scenario, anyway - did you put it in your all-in-one file?
another question: how do you deal with the various pediaicons files? I'm still thinking of a big collated version, would be quite boring to do that but not very difficult - could finish that in a rainy afternoon :) .

Anda Swordsman.INI is included in my installer. It's the same one that was in my previous installers It includes the line:

FORTIFY=../Swordsman/SwordmanFortify.wav

I've included a pediaicons.txt file that I *hope* includes all the civs and buildings and whatever that are needed. It's derived from the most recent one that Ainwood published for people with GOTM 36 issues, but I also incuded "KOREANS" as a copy of "KOREA" as I believe there are GOTM start files that refer to both.

Here's my file. If you see any problems with it, please let me know.

Note that as your GOTM mod uses the GOTM 21 resources players wanting to use my installer in combination with your mod will need to swap resources.pcx and resources_shadows.pcx.

AlanH said:
Anda Swordsman.INI is included in my installer. It's the same one that was in my previous installers It includes the line:

FORTIFY=../Swordsman/SwordmanFortify.wav
:thumbsup:

AlanH said:
:thumbsup::thumbsup: thanks a lot!

AlanH said:
Note that as your GOTM mod uses the GOTM 21 resources players wanting to use my installer in combination with your mod will need to swap resources.pcx and resources_shadows.pcx.
so, that means you are using the std. resources by default (as in recent 'classic' gotms)?

AlanH said:
I've included a pediaicons.txt file that I *hope* includes all the civs and buildings and whatever that are needed. It's derived from the most recent one that Ainwood published for people with GOTM 36 issues, but I also incuded "KOREANS" as a copy of "KOREA" as I believe there are GOTM start files that refer to both.

what i saw at a glimpse on the file is that i suppose it won't work with some older gotms, especially gotm24/25, because of missing entries for the numerous undocumented asian tribes. civ3 won't find the correct advisor files for those and will crash. who will play gotm24 right now, however :) ? this is the right file for current gotms, and it's important you pointed out the different versions of Korea/Koreans. I will try to build my suggested 'collated version' i a few days and i probably start with the pediaicons.txt you posted above because everything is in the same order. it's definately the right one for current classic gotms.

You're quite right! I missed that. Way too trusting :( I'll diff the files and merge the extras I know work for the 24/25 games and re-create the installer.

Yes, my installer defaults to the out-of the box resources, but installs the /Art/resources storage/ folder containing the older file sets for 20 and 21-31, plus instructions, so players can do the swap to play your civ3mod.bic.

FYI Here's my installer readme. It's a .rtf file, so you should be able to open it in Word ...

Attachments

• Installer ReadMe.rtf.zip
    2.1 KB · Views: 78
hi, alan! here's my 'collated version' of the pediaicans. I looked up all civilopedia keywords directly from the gotm starting save files, put them in the same order in the different sections of the pediaicans. the order is:
16 std. civs, neocarthage, keltoi, ottomans, spain, minoans, vikings, arabs, tokugawa, baekje, goguryeo, koreans, korea, mongols, shimazu, chosogabe, mori, kuroda, oda, takeda, rajaputana, khwarizmia, magog, khazars (order of appearance in gotms 17 to 25). the were some typos fixed (mixed up small/large file paths for custom civs in the win screen sections, a hammurabi leaderhead - 'ha.pcx' - instead of hannibaline - 'ha2.pcx').
this file contains additional entries in other sections (buildings, units etc.) from my gotm_mod scenario. but you may copy the leaderhead art section to the std. pediaicons for an 'official' pediaicons (if you trust me :D ).
any remarks? still missing something?

Thanks very much Bluebox. I'll have a look at it and then add it to my current full GOTM installer. I don't plan to revisit the old ones, as they have done reasonable service.

When will you have the next version of your civ3mod.bic? If it's not too far away I might hold off on a rebuild until I can include it.

AlanH said:
Thanks very much Bluebox. I'll have a look at it and then add it to my current full GOTM installer. I don't plan to revisit the old ones, as they have done reasonable service.

When will you have the next version of your civ3mod.bic? If it's not too far away I might hold off on a rebuild until I can include it.

hi, alan, I'm happy that you want to include it to your package :) . I'm going to post the update within a few days, possibly on the weekend.

I tried the new installer/updater (GOTM) and everything went smoothly from a fresh install (least after I remembered had to update to 1.29b first).

I havent been thru it to double check things so Ive kept my old folders as backups. If I hve the time Ill start a #34 GOTM and see if I run into any problems, since that one gave me the most problems.

Great! Let me know how it goes. The pediaicons.txt issue flagged up by Bluebox shouldn't affect #34.

I've now updated the full one-step installer to include Bluebox's scenario and mod files. Remember, you need to do the resources file swap if you want to play a random game with the scenario.

Here's the Readme from the installer in case you want to see what's invloved before committing to the 24.5 MByte download.

Attachments

• Installer ReadMe.rtf.zip
    2.4 KB · Views: 96
New version of the All-in-One GOTM installer posted.

Version 3.3 includes mad-bax's SGOTM resource files and installs them as default. They are backwards compatible with the factory set, so you can play current GOTMs, SGOTMs and standard games, all with one installation and the same resource files. You only need to swap files to play bluebox's scenario or older GOTMs between 20 and 31.

I recently installed the GOTM mod for Mac. It is awesome! Kudos and much thanks to Bluebox and everyone else who developed this.

Sadly, every time I play, Civ 3 crashes, like every three turns or so. It seems random, but it crashes consistently. No error message, just returns to the Finder.

Please assist, as I can hardly bear not being able to play GOTM in the absence of PTW and Conquests for the Mac!

I am running OS 10.3.9 on an iBook G4 w/640 mb of RAM.

Thank you,

Michael

Welcome to the macmadhouse :wavey:

Sorry to hear you're having trouble. Here's a checklist:

1. I assume you have installed Civ3 from a CD, and then applied the version 1.29b2 patch to it?

2. Did you play any games using the unmodified Civ3 before you installed GOTM? If so was it stable?

3. Are you playing random games using bluebox's scenario file? If so, did you swap the resource files as described in the installer readme?

Thank you for responding so promptly.

I installed CIV III from a CD, updated it to 1.29b, and it always ran fine. It never crashed. I did not swap resource files. I found the instructions for swapping somewhat confusing, but as I thought I had read that in order to play new, random games, it was not neccessary to do so. I just want to play random games, not the GOTM maps.

Please advise. And thanks again!

:)

Michael

michaelkottler said:
I did not swap resource files. I found the instructions for swapping somewhat confusing, but as I thought I had read that in order to play new, random games, it was not neccessary to do so. I just want to play random games, not the GOTM maps.
That's likely to be your problem, then. The GOTM Installer was primarily designed to set Civ3 up to play current Games of the Month. I added bluebox's scenario as an extra, together with the instructions to cover swapping a couple of files so that you can use it.

Here's a diagram to replace a thousand words ;)

Attachments

• ResMove.jpg
    ResMove.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 124
First of all, thank you. The diagram is clear, and an improvement on Bouebox's well intentioned but confusing (to me) readme directions.

Second, You are one the persons responsible for GOTM? You made the installer? AWESOME! Thank you and everyone else so very much. Between Bluebox and everyone else who contributed, an excellent product has been created. CIV III is wonderful, and lacking PTW and Conquests for Mac, this GOTM mod is a much appreciated addition which I am looking forward to now hopefully playing.

I will make the resource swap as soon as I can, and let you know how it goes. Thanks again.

Michael

I suspect the swap instructions were originally Cracker's. He's a great guy who used to run GOTM and largely made it what it is today, but he was never known to use one word where two longer ones would fit ;). The mods that bluebox has successfully compiled into his scenario were originated by Cracker, and they rely on the original GOTM graphics and text add-ons that are put in place by the installer.

If you option-drag those files you'll copy them instead of moving them, by the way. That's less destructive. There are copies of the original out-of-the-box files in /Art/resource storage/Standard resources.

If you are feeling ambitious, there's another file you could move as well. It's called luxuryicons_small.pcx, and it's in the folder called "bluebox city screen" that you see in the above image. Copy that file into /Art/City Screen/ to replace the standard file, and the extra luxuries will look right in your city screens. This swap is purely cosmetic though, and doesn't affect crashes.

Top Bottom