Mac GOTM Installers

michaelkottler said:
I replaced the files as advised and now it crashes as soon as it reaches the 4000bc start screen. Hmmm. Any hints?
When it crashes, does Panther come up with a notificatin saying the program has quit unexpectedly and offering to send a report to Apple? If so, ask it to produce the report. Don't send it to Apple as they probably don't care, but copy and paste the crash log in the report to a post here and we'll see if it gives any clues ... tomorrow, it's way past bedtime in the UK now.

Alan

Thanks again for all your input. When it crashes, it just goes to the Finder. No crash report. Weird, huh? I backed up all my data, wiped the hd, did a clean install of 10.3.9, but same result. Hmmmm.....

michaelkottler said:
Alan

Thanks again for all your input. When it crashes, it just goes to the Finder. No crash report. Weird, huh? I backed up all my data, wiped the hd, did a clean install of 10.3.9, but same result. Hmmmm.....
Strange. Have you looked at the crash logs in Console?

- Open /Applications/Utilities/Console
- Click the Logs icon at top left
- Click the disclosure triangle on ~/Library/Logs in the left column
- Click the disclosure triangle on CrashReporter
- Highlight Civilization III.crash.log if it exists
- Copy paste the text from the right hand pane and post it. If there's a lot then post just the last two or three entries. Each entry starts like:

Code:
Host Name:      xxxx
Date/Time:      YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS.SSS +xxxx
OS Version:     10.4.1 (Build 8B15)
Report Version: 3

Command: Civilization III
Path:    /Users/alan/Civilization III/Civilization III
Parent:  WindowServer [78]

Version: 1.29b2 (1.29b2 Copyright ©2001-2003 Firaxis. Conversion by Westlake Interactive)

PID:    1167
Thread: 0

Exception:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
Codes:      KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE (0x0002) at 0x00000000

Thread 0 Crashed:

Thanks again for all the help. You know, come to think of it, the first time I installed and ran GOTM, it did throw an exception error similar to this:

Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE (0x0002) at 0x00000000

Afterwards, I experienced constant application crashing across the board, so I backed eveything up, reinitialized my drive, and did a clean install. Then, when I re-installed CIV III with GOTM, it did the same thing (GOTM would crash, and also my system want buggy). So, I rebuilt my whole system again (no big deal, I am a Mac tech), and since then when I run GOTM, it just crashes as I mentioned previously, with no crash report window. So, I will mess around with GOTM as soon as I can (too much homework right now), and get back to you asap. In the meantime, I guess I am 'stuck' with playing CIV III 1.29b. :) I LOVE CIV III/Alpha Centauri!!!!!!!! Can't wait for CIV 4. Thanks again for all your help. You are the sh-t!

Best,

Michael

I am havign a problem with the GOTM Mods you have posted here :(
I can download the file and everything. I open the file and begin going through the installing steps (e.g. choose where to put it, agree to the terms, and the such) I hit install and it begins, but right after that it says there was a error installing. So I try again, and the same thing happen :(
I am running a 1.21g version of CIV3 right now and have the 10.4.1 operating system.

Thx

thorhammer said:
I am havign a problem with the GOTM Mods you have posted here :(
I can download the file and everything. I open the file and begin going through the installing steps (e.g. choose where to put it, agree to the terms, and the such) I hit install and it begins, but right after that it says there was a error installing. So I try again, and the same thing happen :(
I am running a 1.21g version of CIV3 right now and have the 10.4.1 operating system.

Thx
The GOTM installer will only install into version 1.29b2, because earlier versions are not compatible with GOTM start files or with the bluebox GOTM scenario. You need to use the 1.29b2 updater first. If you read the Readme (it's not "Terms", it's full of useful instructions) you'll see this stated.

OK thx, I downloaded the new version so I am now running the correct version. But The same problem occurs when I try to install the GOTM

When the error occurs, go to the File menu in the Installer and select Show Log. This will open a window. In the popup menu at the bottom, select Show Everything. This should give you a text log of the activities of the installer. Copy that text and paste it here, and I'll see if I can work out what's going wrong.

Jul 1 11:04:54 lana-holdens-imac : @(#)PROGRAM:Install PROJECT:Install-118 DEVELOPER:root BUILT:May 10 2005 19:35:29

Jul 1 11:04:54 lana-holdens-imac : @(#)PROGRAM:Installer PROJECT:Installer-83 DEVELOPER:root BUILT:Mar 22 2005 20:32:47

Jul 1 11:04:54 lana-holdens-imac : Hardware: PowerMac6,1 @ 999 MHz, 1024 MB

Jul 1 11:04:54 lana-holdens-imac : Running OS Build: 8B15

Jul 1 11:04:54 lana-holdens-imac : GOTM23 Full Installation Log

Jul 1 11:04:54 lana-holdens-imac : Opened from: /Volumes/GOTM23 Full Installer/GOTM23 Full.pkg

Jul 1 11:04:54 lana-holdens-imac : It took 0.214413 seconds to load 7 UI sections

Jul 1 11:04:55 lana-holdens-imac : It took 1.249939 seconds to finish launching.

Jul 1 11:04:57 lana-holdens-imac : It took 3.476616 seconds to do the initial process of the targets

Jul 1 11:04:57 lana-holdens-imac : It took 2.837099 seconds to -[IFPKGDerivedDocument readAndValidateDocument]

Jul 1 11:04:57 lana-holdens-imac : Installation checks completed successfully.

Jul 1 11:04:59 lana-holdens-imac : It took 1.985645 seconds to process the volume "Holden"

Jul 1 11:05:06 lana-holdens-imac : ================================================================================

Jul 1 11:05:06 lana-holdens-imac : User picked Easy Install

Jul 1 11:05:06 lana-holdens-imac : Choices selected for installation:

Jul 1 11:05:06 lana-holdens-imac : Install: "GOTM23 Full"

Jul 1 11:05:06 lana-holdens-imac : GOTM23 Full.pkg : ident.pkg.GOTM23 Full : 2.1.0.2.1

Jul 1 11:05:06 lana-holdens-imac : ================================================================================

Jul 1 11:05:06 lana-holdens-imac : It took 0.001925 seconds to summarize the package selections.

Jul 1 11:05:06 lana-holdens-imac : NOT Installing into home /Users/lanaholden

Jul 1 11:05:06 lana-holdens-imac : Starting installation:

Jul 1 11:05:06 lana-holdens-imac : Preparing volume "Holden" for installation

Jul 1 11:05:06 lana-holdens-imac : Configuring volume "Holden"

Jul 1 11:05:07 lana-holdens-imac : Preparing local booted disk

Jul 1 11:05:07 lana-holdens-imac : Create temporary directory "/private/tmp/GOTM23 Full.pkg.85262SpSI"

Jul 1 11:05:07 lana-holdens-imac : run preflight script for GOTM23 Full

Jul 1 11:05:07 lana-holdens-imac : preflight[855]: Preflight script checking directory /Applications/Civilization III

Jul 1 11:05:07 lana-holdens-imac : preflight[855]:

Jul 1 11:05:07 lana-holdens-imac : preflight[855]: Checking top level directories ...

Jul 1 11:05:07 lana-holdens-imac : preflight[855]: ERROR: Directory /Applications/Civilization III/Art NOT found

Jul 1 11:05:07 lana-holdens-imac : preflight[855]: ERROR: Directory /Applications/Civilization III/Text NOT found

Jul 1 11:05:07 lana-holdens-imac : preflight[855]: ******* Preflight failed. Installation aborted. *******

Jul 1 11:05:07 lana-holdens-imac : Install failed: The following install step failed: run preflight script for GOTM23 Full

Jul 1 11:05:08 lana-holdens-imac : Private/Total = (4.1MB, 63.6MB), Heap/Total = (2.1MB, 17.6MB), Regions(malloc, private) = (23, 30)

Jul 1 11:05:08 lana-holdens-imac : It took 1.164799 seconds to unsuccessfully install "GOTM23 Full" (1 pkg(s))

Jul 1 11:05:08 lana-holdens-imac : It took 1.017790 seconds to Configuring volume "Holden" (dm prepare*disk)

Jul 1 11:05:08 lana-holdens-imac : It took 0.021528 seconds to Create temporary directory "/private/tmp/GOTM23 Full.pkg.85262SpSI"

Jul 1 11:05:08 lana-holdens-imac : It took 0.124948 seconds to run preflight script for GOTM23 Full

Jul 1 11:05:08 lana-holdens-imac :
Jul 1 11:05:08 lana-holdens-imac : Summary Information

Jul 1 11:05:08 lana-holdens-imac : Type Elapsed time (sec)

Jul 1 11:05:08 lana-holdens-imac : script 0.124948

Jul 1 11:05:08 lana-holdens-imac : disk 1.017849

Jul 1 11:05:08 lana-holdens-imac : install 0.000000

Jul 1 11:05:08 lana-holdens-imac : zero 0.022002

Jul 1 11:05:08 lana-holdens-imac :

Hope this helps

The problem is summarised by the following log entries:

Jul 1 11:05:07 lana-holdens-imac : preflight[855]: Preflight script checking directory /Applications/Civilization III
Jul 1 11:05:07 lana-holdens-imac : preflight[855]: Checking top level directories ...
Jul 1 11:05:07 lana-holdens-imac : preflight[855]: ERROR: Directory /Applications/Civilization III/Art NOT found
Jul 1 11:05:07 lana-holdens-imac : preflight[855]: ERROR: Directory /Applications/Civilization III/Text NOT found
Jul 1 11:05:07 lana-holdens-imac : preflight[855]: ******* Preflight failed. Installation aborted. *******
The GOTM installer cannot find directories called Art and Text in the directory you have selected to install into. You have probably left it to install into the default directory location, which is /Applications/Civilization III/. If this directory doesn't exist then the installer will fail. If your actual Civ3 version 1.29b2 directory is somewhere else, or called something else, then you need to tell the installer. Otherwise it doesn't know where to install the mods.

To Alan and Bluebox:

Alan, thank you for all you assistance regarding the proper installation of GOTM to use BB's GOTM random game scenario. I finally got it to run correctly (a few weeks ago, actually), and I must say, it is absolutely wonderful. I though before that I was just doing something wrong. But after reviewing your instructions and those included by BB in his txt files, I realize that it was a no-brainer. I think my problem before was a 'sick' CIV III app/associated files. Now that everything is clean and fresh, GOTM runs great. Thanks again.

Blubox: The GOTM random game scenario is AWESOME. Having so many of the features of PTW and Conquests available for random games on the Mac is a beautiful thing. To you and all those who may have assisted you with graphics, Civilopdia entries, etc; I say thank 'Thank you!'.

I'm pleased tp hear it worked eventually. Well done :)

michaelkottler said:
Blubox: The GOTM random game scenario is AWESOME. Having so many of the features of PTW and Conquests available for random games on the Mac is a beautiful thing. To you and all those who may have assisted you with graphics, Civilopdia entries, etc; I say thank 'Thank you!'.
Nice to hear that. Seems you're a very happy civver now who has unlocked a whole new game experience. :) Hope you enjoy it thru the Ages ;)

Is this installer still relevant after Civ 3 Complete is installed. I was disappointed my high scores didn't somehow get imported. I saved them but I believe I removed my Civ 3 installation on my PowerBook.

If I want to a new GOTM, do I have to go through anything special, and do I have to reinstall the original game and update it?

Muskie

The GOTM installer is irrelevant for Civ3 Complete as it only works with the vanilla version 1.29 of the Civ3 software and that isn't included in Civ3 Complete. Unless I am mistaken it should not even be possible to run the installer with Civ3 Complete.

There's no reason for an Aspyr game to import your high scores from the MacSoft version. Also, since those were achieved using the vanilla version of the software, they aren't really relevant to Complete. If this comment also relates to the GOTM, I don't believe GOTM high scores would have been recorded in your high score table, as GOTMs are considered as modified scenarios. If you really want to transfer your old high scores you can do so. As the table is a text file, you can edit it to add previous records, or even make up new ones :p. If you want to do this, let me know and I'll see if I can track down the forum post containing the required format.

Once you have Civ3 Complete you can play the mid-month GOTM Classic games using the Play the World application that comes with it, with no mods. And you can play the start-of-month COTM games using the Civ3 Complete application, again with no mods. Note that installing Civ3 Complete should not have removed your old Civ3 installation, and it wasn't necessary to delete it yourself.

I will have to try a game of the month now. I have some time on my hands. I'm also waiting for the patch to try a play by email game against some PC friends.

I uninstalled the original because I didn't figure I needed. I saved my high scores because it took time and effort to achieve them.

Muskie

Play by email is working fine now, wthout the patch, for at least one player ... right, Macintosh? The main problems people have experienced are with modified scenarios, as far as I can tell.

The only issue for PBEM with unmodded games is that you may need to use FileValet to clean the PC data, and it also allows you to compress the saves in Civ3-native format.

Alan,

In setting up for the SGOTM10 for Mac Civ III complete there appears to be a few minor changes to art resources etc required. Is this specific to this game or a generic C3C GOTM issue ? If the latter, perhaps you should post details on the lead-in page to this thread as I only picked the issue in a post within the SGOTM thread which I followed through to the SGOTM reference page. It was there but easy to miss.

Hi

No, it's not a generic issue for GOTM. SGOTMs use a small but important mod that adds the Mediterranean resources, and this is NOT used for standard C/GOTMs. I'll probably remove this requirement for future SGOTMs, as it seems to be more trouble than it's worth.

I don't think it's *that* easy to miss in the SGOTM Reference thread, which is specifically referenced in the sign-up thread as a must-read.

I was hoping it would be unnecessary to give special Mac set-up instructions for SGOTM 10 when/if Aspyr ever get their act togther and RELEASE THE PATCH (Brad?). However, assuming this will not now happen in time I'll post instructions Real Soon Now (TM).

AlanH said:
I was hoping it would be unnecessary to give special Mac set-up instructions for SGOTM 10 when/if Aspyr ever get their act togther and RELEASE THE PATCH (Brad?). However, assuming this will not now happen in time I'll post instructions Real Soon Now (TM).
Keep in mind that, since it's been delayed this long from the prior guesses, odds are that one or more significant bugs were found that need(ed?) fixing. So all bets on release time are off until more information becomes available. Could be tomorrow, could be next month.

Top Bottom