1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Macintosh Tech Support/Game FAQ

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Macintosh' started by Chieftess, Jan 14, 2003.

1. AlanH

AlanH Mac addict, php monkey Moderator Supporter GOTM Staff

Any answers to my questions? Did you try my suggestion of patching to version 1.29b2? Or was it already patched? Can you confirm that you see nothiing on screen before the crash?

2. SamTheOzzMan

SamTheOzzMan Chieftain

Sorry about that, I've been catching up. I have tried the patch, I do not see anything before the game "Unexpectdly quits". But I have some good news: MacSoft is sending me a new copy of the game, so maybe it is the disk and I will happy to play the latest version of Civilization, or a may just give in and buy a PC to be able to play the world... I will be back to inform you as to how it went after the new copy comes.

Thanks for you help! :)

3. mallesh

mallesh Chieftain

I'm playing a game at the moment and i was just about to complete my final component for the space ship but for some reason after the final part (thrusters) was built it did not go to the space ship screen right away as it usualy does after completing a component, and now it will not let me entire the spaceship screen at all! I can click on the but the scree does not change.

I am currently running on 1.29b and this is the first time I have had any problems on this version. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

4. dodgersfan3138

dodgersfan3138 Chieftain

hey how do you tell the difference between mac and windows downloads? sorry, im no techie... where is a link to the mac downloads on this site? and does it matter what i run it on 1.29 or whatever else? oh, plus, does it always matter if i use windows downloads? thanks

"and now to unveil my 37 point plan!..oh sorry, thats my resume...let me just reboot this...sorry i, have a lot of extensions" -the monarch

5. AlanH

Welcome, both of you. :wavey:

@mallesh: I don't have a simple solution. In those circumstances I would install a fresh copy of Civ3, patch it up to 1.29b2, and try running your saved game with it.

@dodgersfan3138: There is no way to tell if .SAV files are frm Mac or Windows if they are from version 1.29. They are identical as far as I know.

If you mean mod downloads then you will find that some are .exe files which means they are Windows aplications - typically self-extracting archives. It has been known for these to be expandable by Stuffit Expander (Double Your Pleasure is an example). Some are .zip files and these can always be expanded by Stuffit Expander.

6. SamTheOzzMan

SamTheOzzMan Chieftain

Well they sent me the new copy and it arrived today, and it only does the same thing. If there are ever any people who run across this same problem, I will be checking in and if anyone reads this and has a soultion email me at sam@anamcara.cc.

It must be my computer, and i will be getting a PC to "play the world" on itll be fun.

7. captromero

captromero Chieftain

I'm new to CivIII and I love it. Highly adddictive. But I keep running into major jams whenever Greece is an opponent. Any game I'm playing completely locks up when Greece/Alexander tries to contact me after the initial contact. This is very frustrating. I don't have any problems with the other Civs. I've seen the same problem in CivIII 1.21g and 1.29b2. :cry:

Any suggestions?? :confused:

8. AlanH

Hi, welcome to MacCFC :wavey:

Do you have a save file that demonstrates this. I can try loading it up here and see if it's your set-up.

9. captromero

captromero Chieftain

I do. I've attached the file. Its saved right before I encounter the Greeks. CivIII totally quits or locks up. :sad:

10. AlanH

That's a very late date to be meeting new civs :mischief:

Well, I loaded it up, met four new civs, including Greece wtih no trouble, traded maps, and techs and finished up with another 500 gold and 30 gpt. So the save's OK, and it's probably a corrupt file in your setup. I notice you've changed the name of the Babylonians to the African Asians. Have you modified anything else in your setup? For example, if you've edited the pediaIcons.txt file to match this name for Babylon, you need to use a text editor that writes the correct line endings.

11. captromero

captromero Chieftain

I haven't made any modifications to the actual application files yet :D So, it must be a corrupt file like you suggest. I'll try reinstalling. Thanks. :goodjob:

12. captromero

captromero Chieftain

By the way, any suggestions how to meet other Civs sooner? I crushed England and Zulu early on. Neither Germany or Russia revealed that they had made contact with other Civs during trades. Also, my ships can't leave the coastline until I learn navigation, right? :crazyeye:

13. AlanH

So how did the civ name get changed from Babylon?

Re. contact date, sorry for the dig. It is Chieftain level, so research rate is slow. You speed up contact in two ways. Either research faster to get to Navigation earlier - that's a big subject in its own right, or use suicide galleys - send galleys out east or west one tile at a time from your most easterly and/or westerly points of departure until they run out of movement points. They'll sink 50% of the time, but if you send enough then eventually one will make it across.

It's worth the effort, as you reduce costs for techs as more known civs know them. If yuo use suicide galleys you can keep contact monopolies until someone else gets Navigation. This allows you to play the continents off against each other, buying techs cheap and sellig them at monopoly prices on the other continent. In this case you can get Banking, Chemistry and Music Theory in the current trading round as well as pretty well cleaning out everyone's treasury and gpt.

No, Germany and Russia don't know the others, so you have a great trading opportunity in this turn. I really enjoy this kind of trading turn since I learned how it's done in Moonsinger's Trade Training exercise.

Remember to buy one contact at a time and keep your contact sales until last, as each contact reduces in cost as you know more civs with that contact. Don't worry about spending your capital to get the stuff you want in the early part of the trading round, as you'll get it all back again by the end. Use your maps carefully as trading currency, they are valuable for this turn only. They don't devalue as you sell them to other civs during the current turn, until they get their turn to pass them around among themselves. Since Navigation is available the intercontinental contacts are going to happen soon enough anyway, so you might as well use contacts as trading currency now, while you have a corner in them, but use money and maps first to buy contacts, then sell your techs and/or luxuries to grab their money and techs. Use your contacts last to clean them out, because that keeps your techs valuable. Don't forget to look for gpt opportunites.

A quick look at F10, and click on the Space Race button, will tell you what civs are out there. After you meet the ones from your current contact you'll find there's still another one out there somewhere that no one knows yet.

14. captromero

captromero Chieftain

I'm not sure how this works on the PC side, but when you are in the game setup screen, after you select a Civ, click on their name. You can then edit the Civ's leader name, nationality, and sex. :cool:

15. AlanH

I'm not on the PC side :eek:

Well, I never knew that! You live and learn :)

16. cpierce

cpierce Chieftain

Just a short update if anybody cares. I've never been able to run Civ III under OS 9.2.2 (had to load it using OS 9 helper since I have a mac clone), so I had to go back to OS 8.6 for a while. Everything else ran fine by the way.

Anyway, I loaded OS 9.2.1 (again, using OS 9 helper) on a separate partition and Civ III works. I have no idea what the problem with 9.2.2 is, but this may help someone else using a mac clone.

And yes, I'd love to upgrade to OS X, but given that I have a limit of 160 Mb of memory, and insufficient funds for a new computer, that's just not feasible right now.

Chris

17. dojoboy

dojoboy Tsalagi

Sorry, but I don't know where else to go with this.

My wife inputs some information for her work at home on my eMac. Recently, after she logs in, the utility (adobe acrobat approval 5) has begun d/l'ing as a .asp file rather than opening up to her work's online data bank.

Any idea why this has begun happening? Only two things have happened that I think could be have caused the issue, perhaps:

(1) Apple's latest security update - But, I'm almost positive that the problem didn't start showing up until well after the update was installed.

(2) I went in to Safari's preferences the other day and deleted all the cookies. When I think about all those marketing cookies, I feel violated. ;) But, I really don't think this is the cause either.

18. ejday

ejday Chieftain

Hmm... Dunno. A mystery. One thing that popped to mind was account preferences being reset on the server (happens all the time to humungous General Electric network). On the off-chance it is, she might want to log in to her work server and see what the settings are to handle her when she logs in from off-premesis.
    One other things leaps to mind: if the work is supposedly all online (in the DB), there may have been server issues. One thing you might try just for giggles is going in with a different browser (maybe a different machine, different OS) and see if you get the same results.

EJ

19. AlanH

The usual reason for a browser to download a file instead of opening it is because either the server is not flagging it as the correct MIME type, or the browser has forgotten how to handle the offered MIME type. As EJ suggests, the only thing in your power is to try switching browsers - try Internet Exploiter if you are used to using Safari.

Note that, according to adobe here, sales of Acrobat Approval discontinued in September last year, and support will cease in September this year.

20. dojoboy

dojoboy Tsalagi

We did try Firefox, but no luck. I'll try the other recs tonight, including IE. Thanks guys. Btw, how would one get the browser to "remember?"