Mad Scientist Role Play Challenge: The American Cowboy.

Yes, CHEESE!, I'm well aware that the Beads for Manhattan story is apocryphal and probably did not actually happen.

Just because this is the Internet doesn't mean we need to be rude to one another.

It's so hard to get the tone of text. My comment was meant to be a lighthearted jest, not an insult. I apologize.

Eh... I would not have gone with Tradition. Aristocracy is good for wonders, but I don't imagine that'll be the focus of this game. Monarchy will be good for even cheaper land buying, but you're already fairly boxed in, and you get the culture of whatever cities you conquer. Monarchy is also 3 policies into the Tradition tree. That's expensive.

The more policies you get, the more expensive they get. After your first few, you'll find it'll get longer and longer between them unless you really concentrate on culture. I would have gone Liberty, as every policy helps with expansion. Oh, well. Having a King Washington should be an interesting touch. (King is the title your leader gets with Tradition, right? All I can remember now is Consul is Honor, and Lord is Piety).

Oh, and the ideal spot for your second city is right below those horses. It'll have good resources within it's initial donut, and it can expand to even get the sea resource on the other side.

Can't wait to see how this RPC goes. :)

Oh, well. Having a King Washington should be an interesting touch. (King is the title your leader gets with Tradition, right? All I can remember now is Consul is Honor, and Lord is Piety).

Lord <leader> is Tradition
Consul <leader> is Republic
<leader> the Terrible is Honor
<leader> the Pious is Piety
<leader> the Enlightened is Patronage
(I haven't bothered to unlock Commerce yet...)
<leader> the Wise is Rationalism
President <leader> is Freedom
(I haven't bothered with Autocracy either; might be Dictator?)
Chairman <leader> is Order

Will RPCs try and keep roughly-accurate titles for leaders? I understand it's silly to try for strict accuracy (you'd get a lot of Lords....), but something like Consul Augustus or Alexander the Terrible/Enlightened wouldn't be outrageous, and add a nice touch.

Great to see this start for Civ5 :)

One note:

These two will likely be mutually exclusive since you cannot raze enemy capitals...

Ally a close by city state, empty the capital and bring it to low HP with an archer.
Then wait for the CS to capture it? Worked for me with other cities, not sure if they will attack a capital.

Nice to see this series continue with Civ5! Been lurking on here for a few months, and really enjoyed the Civ4 RPCs.

Once again we proceed to buy another tile

Something I was wondering about: does anyone know how the AI determines what the next tile the AI will buy upon cultural border pop, and if there's any way to change it's choice?

I was thinking that in the above shot, given that there's only one turn left to border pop, you could've just bought the marble and let the border pop take the cows, which would've saved you some cash. No idea if the AI would've picked that as the next tile to take, but it generally seems to prioritize grabbing resources in my games (though it seems to be ignoring those clams in the next shot).

Also, wouldn't recommend buying any tiles for Washington after this unless you really want to block off the peninsula. Cash would probably be better spent buying work boats/buildings or influencing city states for food/culture, especially as you've alot of unimproved tiles left.

Pretty tough start, as you're boxed in. Recommend settling the rest of the peninsula then taking out either Askia or Harun, whoever threatens a nearby city state first.

Not sure buying land before you can put a worker on it is the best way to go. Maybe that is your RPC flavor...but there is always plenty of time later to utilize manifest destiny. I would have saved up for a workboat while building something else.

The AI doesn't expand too fast or defend well at this level. However (in my limited experience) city states will often build walls and a unit since they only have one city and can't expand. Not right away, but eventually. So I'd pick which ones you want to kill and go after 1-2 city states first...save any promotions for later heals if possible...then go after the AI. Killing two city states will degrade your relationship with the others you've met, but not tip them into war.

Songhai prefers to build units, which is scary at higher levels, but on prince they will be warriors for quite a while...maybe spears. Arabia is more of a peaceful expansive civ.

Get a couple of chariot archers and 2-3 warriors to block any melee troops from attacking the HA...and you should be good to go to war. Or even 2 regular archers and a couple of spears plus a scout/warrior. Since you want to take over your entire continent, I would move quickly on the offensive while the AI is weaker.

cas

Good to see you back in the saddle, Mad.

I have a few observations, for what they're worth:

* I'm not sure worker first makes sense as the default strategy like it did in Civ IV. Scouts are very useful and pretty cheap. It also gives you a second military unit to help take out barb encampments early for gold and making City-States happy. Just a thought.

* I am curious to see how your land grab with Manifest Destiny works out. There are so many uses for cash in this game, but you may as well exploit it.

* I would definitely try to get Horseback Riding. Horsemen are simply incredible, and if you can get a few archers to support them (to weaken Spears), you can run over some people pretty handily. So I'd settle the horse city next while getting the dye for more happiness.

* Songhai is very aggressive from what I have seen. Shaka/Montyish from Civ IV.

i'd suggest dumping a city down between the Dye and the Fish ... might not be the most aggessively minded city but as far as i understood from you its where Horses is, and it is a fairly good city anyways

I'd settle a bit further down, SW of the hill. Penisular settled. We'll lose the pearls but we've already got 2 and I figure we won't be trading much given our Manifest Destiny. It's our second city it'll have time to expand and use the territory (better than squeezing another one in I reckon).

There's only two horses I think? but that's ok - both the horses and dye will be in the second ring and easily grabbed (culture or bought) and the sheep will come as well. Oh, you'll probably have to buy the pearls in Washington - the AI never seems to get them with culture.

* I'm not sure worker first makes sense as the default strategy like it did in Civ IV. Scouts are very useful and pretty cheap. It also gives you a second military unit to help take out barb encampments early for gold and making City-States happy. Just a thought.

I agree with the Scout first policy. Every game i've had so far (Prince level) the Scout gets upgraded when exploring ruins. Having an archer/spearman with extra mobility is fairly useful early doors.

Thanks for all the advice. As we are all just learning the game I am probably going to play this RPC out by adding the rules.

One thing I can see immediately is to abuse the Manifest destiny 25% discount. So I think ALL the gold shall be used to purchase tiles and perhaps use in trades. All buildings can be erected through hard American worker sweat and toil! I played one full game so far and I think Prince difficulty is pretty easy, so I feel OK adding a few more RPC rules.

I also thing city-state should be completely destroyed, once their usefulness is exploited.

Yeah, city states don't do anything until you complete a decent quest, or start pouring gold into them. So its basically your choice whether you want the various CS gifts, at the cost of maintaining relationship to them, or whether you just want land, and to hell with the consequences!

Another rule?

A final flourish could be an overseas island conquest (our future sporting greats need somewhere to holiday...) for just a taste of naval action.

Another rule?

A final flourish could be an overseas island conquest (our future sporting greats need somewhere to holiday...) for just a taste of naval action.

Plenty of time for that in future RPCs. For now, GW wants nothing more than to claim what is America's.

Top Bottom