Magical Monks 'n' Friars (11 July 2006)

And plotinus if you do decide to build him, can he Christen with right hand, but only first three fingers (Looking from the thumb) joint together, and with those fingers he touches forehead->navel->right brest->left breast.

Are you taking about the sing of the cross? (In the Name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit?)

Crazy awesome concept, crazy awesome units! I'm pretty much stunned. Maybe I got hit with one of the Benedictine fireballs? ;)

Edit: I just realised how sad it is that we no longer have the Civ2 ability to "bribe" units like the ol' diplomat! That could have come in really handy with these guys...

Plotinus said:
Glad you like them. The Franciscan "Hitchcock" attack is my favourite too! Although I bet St Francis is spinning in his grave at the thought.
:lol: Well, he did preach to birds ... so you could say that it's not an attack, it's self-defence. :D

Plotinus said:
[Heretic Cata] I didn't make a Jesuit since Rambuchan's mod is set in the Middle Ages, so they wouldn't have been needed. However, as far as I can tell Jesuits dress like other Catholic priests, so they don't really have a distinctive look (the Jesuits are a society of priests, not a contemplative or mendicant order).
Ok. :)

Plotinus said:
[Partizanac] Hmm - that would probably look like the Benedictine, but with a hat, a big beard, and a big cloak! Maybe, at some point.
:bounce: Seconded, seconded. :bounce:

@Partizanac: I don't think the fingers are visible on civ-scale.

@Plotinus: At the non-fantasy attack of the benedictine he seems to be waving. Is he making a simbol or smthing ?

Partizanac said:
[Lord Malbeth] Yes, that is what I'm talking about, and I hope that the term is Christen, because I used the dictionary and I don't know if that's it!?

Actually it's Big Time CATHOLIC! :D (Maybe Anglican :undecide: )

Really outstanding, Plotinus, if one of them goes to unit of the month contest, then it's quite sure you have my vote too

The Last Conformist said:
If I'm to say something negative, it's that the monks' magical attacks are a bit lame. Could be a bit more sparkling and polychromatic. Minor thing, tho. :)

i quess, it's not magical attack.. it's the faith they're striking you with

magic is pagan thing

I think these look realy great, as everyone has already said. And, yes, the cloak effects and the birds are great.

I'm glad I had a tiny, little, minor role to play in making these units.

Plotinus said:
The idea with monks is that they withdraw from the world and focus on God, possibly whilst hurling energy balls at heretics.
:lol:
Great job, these should be useful for others than Rambuchan too. :)

I am rendered speechless (no pun intended)!! Awesome work... :)

Thanks to all for the compliments! I'm very glad these are appreciated.

Lord Malbeth said:
I love the Franciscan one. Nice Catholic units! :D

Little-known fact: the "Make me a channel of your peace" prayer has got nothing whatsoever to do with Francis of Assisi. It's not even medieval. No-one knows who wrote it, but it first appeared on a card about a hundred years ago, anonymously, with a picture of St Francis on the other side. People got the wrong idea, and now everyone thinks St Francis wrote it. In fact he didn't, although no doubt he would have approved of the sentiment.

[TLC] Actually I agree with you about the monks' attacks. I wanted an "energy ball" sort of thing. It would probably have been more impressive if I'd copy and pasted something in, perhaps one of the magical attacks I linked to in the OP, but I wanted to make it myself within Poser. Unfortunately I fear I'm not too good at that sort of thing. Still, I am quite pleased with the sound effect I came up with for that attack. The left hand is because I foolishly put the book/cross in the right without thinking - as a result, they all cross themselves in reverse. Read into that what you will.

[Partizanac] You mean bless, not christen. Yes, could be done, although you can't see the fingers at Civ-scale - in fact, that figure doesn't have fingers, thereby solving the divisions within the Orthodox world over how many fingers should be used for blessing.

[Heretic Cata] All the non-magical attacks are supposed to be preaching, so they're sort of waving their arms about in a preachifyin' kind of way. And of course a Franciscan would only call upon the power of birds in self-defence! Perhaps.

Plotinus said:
[Partizanac] You mean bless, not christen. Yes, could be done, although you can't see the fingers at Civ-scale - in fact, that figure doesn't have fingers, thereby solving the divisions within the Orthodox world over how many fingers should be used for blessing.

So does this mean you're going to build one? :)

Plotinus said:
Little-known fact: the "Make me a channel of your peace" prayer has got nothing whatsoever to do with Francis of Assisi. It's not even medieval. No-one knows who wrote it, but it first appeared on a card about a hundred years ago, anonymously, with a picture of St Francis on the other side. People got the wrong idea, and now everyone thinks St Francis wrote it. In fact he didn't, although no doubt he would have approved of the sentiment.

That's really interesting! Well, it's still the Prayer of St. Francis.

AncientOne said:
magic is pagan thing

Actually, the Islamic religion teaches that two angels taught magic to men to see if they could be trusted, or would they fall into darkness.

Top Bottom