[MOD] MagisterModmod

What's the rationale behind not allowing Spring on desert tiles that are adjacent to fresh water? This wasn't in Naval AI, so must have been added for some reason. It's a huge nerf to Spring, since more than half my desert tiles seem to be stuck permanently as desert.

It is certainly possible to use the same model (or rather a copy thereof) with different skins. All of the unit artwork that I've created works that way, as does most of the art that anyone else made for any other mod of Civ4.

Glad to hear this. I was getting all worried about having to learn the ins and outs of 3ds Max to completely redo the texture, model and animation of any new unit I wanted to make.

The unit art defines (found in Assets/XML/Art/CIV4ArtDefines_Unit.xml) look like this:
Spoiler :
Code:
		<UnitArtInfo>
			<Type>ART_DEF_UNIT_KNIGHT_CALABIM</Type>
			<Button>Art/Interface/Buttons/Units/Knight.dds</Button>
			<fScale>0.42</fScale>
			<fInterfaceScale>0.5</fInterfaceScale>
			<bActAsLand>0</bActAsLand>
			<bActAsAir>0</bActAsAir>
			<NIF>Art/Units/Civs/Calabim/Knight/Knight.nif</NIF>
			<KFM>Art/Units/Knight/Knight blood.kfm</KFM>
			<ShadowDef>
				<ShadowNIF>Art/Units/01_UnitShadows/HorseShadow.nif</ShadowNIF>
				<ShadowAttachNode>BIP Pelvis</ShadowAttachNode>
				<fShadowScale>1</fShadowScale>
			</ShadowDef>
				<fBattleDistance>0.35</fBattleDistance>
				<fRangedDeathTime>0.31</fRangedDeathTime>
				<bActAsRanged>0</bActAsRanged>
				<TrainSound>AS2D_UNIT_BUILD_UNIT</TrainSound>
			<AudioRunSounds>
				<AudioRunTypeLoop/>
				<AudioRunTypeEnd/>
			</AudioRunSounds>
		</UnitArtInfo>

The .nif files are the models, and the .kfm files are the animations that go with those models. Notice that there are no mentions of the skins/textures. The models and animation files themselves contain those references. In all the cases I've seen they seem to only look for these files within their own folders. Technically each unit with unique art needs it own nif, but there is no need to make any actual changes to the file except for copying it into a new location. To make the art unique you would then edit the dds files found in the same folder.

Gotcha; thank you for the explanation. :D

I'm sure it is possible to make a alternate graphics for the hell version of Wine work using the LSystem. I just expect it to be a major hassle and so do not look forward to trying it.

While it's always interesting to watch others make discoveries, please don't think that I'm pushing you to spend an inordinate amount of time on the Grapes of Wrath project. Even if the souls of the forsaken would add a mighty fine bouquet and flavor to a nice vintage Pinot Noir...

Seriously, though, feel free to ignore the rest of this post if you've more important aspects of your modmod to work on than Hyborem's beverage of choice.

(This probably also means that uploads could be made a lot smaller by moving the many identical dds files to Shares instead of keeping them with their models. There are already so many different dds files with identical names being used though that giving them unique names and editing all the models that reference them would be a lot of work.)

If this were the case, I suspect that Kael and his original team of modders would have done so to save as much space as possible.

I was thinking that the Wine resource's model would contain some complicated relative path to the file GrapeBunchandLeaves.dds, made necessary because it is not found in the model's own folder as is usually the case.

Perhaps the game is set to look under Shared whenever it cannot find a piece of art in the same file as the model.

And this is because multiple models of grapes/vineyards use the same .dds texture, correct? It's in the "Shared" folder because they share a texture?

I thought that if I copied the whole folder for the resource and I typically do then it would either still point to the same file or get completely messed up. It does not actually seem to include a path though, just the file name as usual.

I could probably include an altered version of the file within the folder for the grapes of wrath resource without it changing anything else.

My understanding of this is sketchy at best, if the game IS set to look under the Shared folder when it can't find a piece of art in the same folder as the model, your proposal might lead to problems given all the unknowns with the LSystem. Alternate theory - What would happen if you were to create a second .dds in the Shared folder - a recolored and renamed GrapeBunchAndLeaves.dds? Make blood-red grapes with black leaves or whatever, call it GrapesOfWrath.dds, and have your second folder with the .nif and kfm. files for the grapes use the name GrapesOfWrath, since a file name is the only reference given?

Once again, thanks for taking the time to answer all of this newbie's questions. :)

Hello
I had a "failed to allocate video memory " when I completed the white hand
anything I can do ??
enjoying this mod thanks to the creators

Hello
I had a "failed to allocate video memory " when I completed the white hand
anything I can do ??
enjoying this mod thanks to the creators

I think the movie for White Hand crashes it. Try disabling movies temporary in graphic settings in game.

There isn't really anything to see. I never play with movies enabled, and often forget that others do. I have not made any custom movies for my modmod. In response to previous complaints about crashes caused by the founding on religions that had no movies assigned to them, I gave the new religions such as the White Hand the same movie as is used for the Council of Esus. I thought that solved the problem, but I guess it did not.

I wonder if the problem lies in this code:
Code:
		if gc.getGame().isFinalInitialized() and not gc.getGame().GetWorldBuilderMode():
			if not gc.getGame().isNetworkMultiPlayer() and iFounder == gc.getGame().getActivePlayer():
				popupInfo = CyPopupInfo()
				popupInfo.setButtonPopupType(ButtonPopupTypes.BUTTONPOPUP_PYTHON_SCREEN)
				popupInfo.setData1(iReligion)
				popupInfo.setData2(iCityId)
				if iReligion == gc.getInfoTypeForString('RELIGION_THE_EMPYREAN') or iReligion == gc.getInfoTypeForString('RELIGION_COUNCIL_OF_ESUS'):
					popupInfo.setData3(3)
				else:
					popupInfo.setData3(1)
				popupInfo.setText(u"showWonderMovie")
				popupInfo.addPopup(iFounder)

I don't really know what popupInfo.setData3( ) does, but I'm thinking that the Council of Esus (and Empyrean) religion movies are different in some way (size? resolution?) that makes them require a different Data3 value than the other movies. The failure to allocate video memory could perhaps be caused by The White Hand trying to use the Council of Esus movie with the wrong settings. If so, the problem can be fixed by changing that conditional to read if iReligion == gc.getInfoTypeForString('RELIGION_THE_EMPYREAN') or iReligion == gc.getInfoTypeForString('RELIGION_COUNCIL_OF_ESUS') or iReligion == gc.getInfoTypeForString('RELIGION_WHITE_HAND') or iReligion == gc.getInfoTypeForString('RELIGION_CULT_OF_THE_DRAGON'):

I don't play with movies enabled either, come to think of it.
They aren't the most impressive thing about this game/ mod mod.

I have the latest version, and I was playing the Bannor with Capria as leader last night.

I tried to upgrade my Confessors to Priors, and it wasn't an option. I had to promote Great Prophets to Priors to get them. The Confessors were all level 6 or 7 that I tried to promote by the way.

High Priests have an additional resource requirement to upgrade to, if you lack that resource you can't get High Priests. For Priors/Pontiffs I think it's Incense.

Wow, forgot all about that. I don't really go for Theology all that much anyway, I just did it with Capria because she is Spiritual.

Hmmm so Great Prophets don't need reagants to upgrade eh?

Sometimes models of units, especially infantry, could change to inappropriate. For example, spectres, skeletons and wood golems often look like swordsmen.

Sometimes models of units, especially infantry, could change to inappropriate. For example, spectres, skeletons and wood golems often look like swordsmen.

that's because of low graphic resolution... known.

Actually it is not because of the graphics resolution, but because of the "Animations Frozen" option under the Graphics Tab of the Options menu. Sometimes the game will automatically activate this option as well as reduce the graphic resolution when your system resources are not up to snuff, but they are not necessarily related. You can turn of Animations Frozen while still using low graphics resolution settings.

It is in no way specific to my modmod, but happens in base FfH2 too. Those who made the unique artwork for the modmod just never bothered creating frozen animations for most of the units.

I seem to be having a problem with the Calabim. Trying this modmod for the first time with them, ironically, and everything went fine until I built Losha Valas, and tried to gift vampirism to my level 7 moiroi...and she doesn't seem to have the option to do so.

I did read upthread that governor's manors could grant vampirism too, but I can't figure out how to use them in that manner. I've got Losha and several moiroi high enough level to make into vampires, all stacked in a city with a governor's manor, but the option to make them vampires isn't coming up like it did base FFH2.

Vampires no longer have access to a spell that grants the Vampire promotion to other units in the stack. Vampires have access to enough spells that things get rather cluttered, and sharing the promotion that way does not allow the player fine control over which units get the promotion. I changed it so that the unit that is to be given the promotion is the one that casts the spell.

The spell requires the caster be alive and not of limited duration, and that the owner be of the Calabim civilization and know the Feudalism technology. (I suspect that your problem is that you have not yet researched that technology.) The python prereqisite makes it unavailable to units that are already vampires, to units with the Empyrean religion, to Moroi below level 4, to other units below level 6, and to units that are not on the same tile as either a city with a Governor's Manor or as another unit with the Vampire promotion. (In my last release only cities or units only count if they belong to the same player as the caster, but I just changed that to be the same Team.) The python result then grants the new vampire the spell sphere promotions based on how much mana you control.

Yup, lack of feudalism must be it. I usually skip feudalism until I want to make someone a vassal, and instead rely on Losha to hand out vampirism.

The ability to haste workers opens up a micromanagement nightmare. Workers can finish improvements twice as fast if you have enough haste adepts (and patience!) to cast haste on every worker on every turn *after* they finish their work.

I actually have a few questions about the ljosalfar. When I played your map, I'd noticed you'd given their one unique unit, the Flurry to the Svaltafar.

While I think I see the logic in it, it did make the ljosalfar seem rather pale in comparison to their evil counterparts.

I'm also curious if you have anything planned for the elves? They are my favorite civs after all. And they have really neat lore.

Just caught wind of this mod, and from what I've read so far, it looks very entertaining and promising! Although it seems that the most recent version of the mod at Game Front is missing. The July 15th version of the mod listed in the first post is still downloadable, though. :crazyeye:

What's the rationale behind not allowing Spring on desert tiles that are adjacent to fresh water? This wasn't in Naval AI, so must have been added for some reason. It's a huge nerf to Spring, since more than half my desert tiles seem to be stuck permanently as desert.
I respond to this as I think nobody answered.
normally desert tiles adjacent to rivers are floodplains. it comes to sens that it can't be upgraded to better base terrain until genesis.
however if you speak about desert hills near rivers or desert tiles near lakes/oasis but not near rivers... well. I have no ideas.
best regards.

Top Bottom