1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

MagisterModmod

Discussion in 'FfH2 Modmods, Scenarios, and Maps' started by MagisterCultuum, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Aurelazza

Aurelazza Chieftain

Loving the new patch!

Nope, Perpy gets no special event for exploring the Palus. Neither does Tebryn for spelunking in Bradeline's Well, Ethne for skinny dipping in the Pool of Tears, Jonas for roasting marshmallows over the Pyre of the Seraphic, etc.

Perpentach's event would most likely come in the form of a dirty limerick, however.

Edit: NSFW? Spoilering just to be on the safe side.

Spoiler :
    I was once locked away in this Palus,
    And though I bear my captor no malice,
    I must say Kylorin,
    A man rather boring,
    Was possessed of a quite meager phallus.

2. A Moon

A Moon The "A" is silent

Aeron's Chosen requires the unit to have the marksman promotion now, instead of the assassin unit-class.

3. Verdian

Verdian King

Is it possible to upload this to somewhere besides Gamesfront? I cannot download anything from them.

4. lfgr

lfgr King

Do you have cookies activated?

5. Calavente

Calavente Richard's voice

Did the downloadable file change since july 15th ?

6. mcwill123

mcwill123 Pretender to the Throne

Playing as the Clan, I suddenly noticed that one of my cities has the Eternal Flame. This was shortly after attacking a elf city with a fairly big stack of warriors, killing the few defenders, including Gilden Silveric and taking the city. My civ doesn't even have Knowledge of the Ether. :/

7. MagisterCultuum

MagisterCultuum Great Sage

Do you have a suggestion of a better place I could upload it? I don't intend to bother uploading the files in multiple locations in the future, but am not dead set on using that site (especially because of the typo in my username there.)

There have been two updates since then, but the custom art files they contain made them too large to host on this forum.

The files attached to the opening post have not changed since July 15, but you should ignore those unless you need to roll back to an earlier version to finish a saved game or something.

My gamefront account (to which there is a link in the opening post and also in my signature) is still hosting the September 9th version, which you may also ignore.

If you want to stay up to day then you should only use the October 11th update found at gamefront.

Did you get the Meteor event (the one where a piece of Bhall's collapsing heaven falls to Erebus near your city) and select the third option (which is available only to players of the Clan of Embers civilization)? If so, then you are supposed to get the wonder for free. I believe that I set up the event to behave this way before my very first release, but despite what the mouseover said it was not working until a few weeks ago when I realized that I needed to set <bPickCity>1

8. Verdian

Verdian King

9. SergiuSS

SergiuSS Chieftain

Permanent alliances seems to trigger some unwanted effects, played wage of sins Malakim whit Decius and made permanent alliance whit Arendel, after some votes i decided to dissolve the council so I can leave it ( republic or other council enforced policies are not always fit or useful or fun ) but I can't, I keep changing to no membership to overcouncil and back one turn to another and in this case running despotism since is the default civic and same happens to the other member in alliance
    The second issue is whit spring spell it seems I am unable to use it on fresh water desert tiles and tiles that have shrubs on them, I don't know if this is intended or some bug

10. MagisterCultuum

You are not supposed to be able to leave the Overcouncil or the Undercouncil in Wages of Sin, which is explicitly a war between the two councils. I wish I knew how disable the votes to dissolve the councils, but am glad that the code under def cannotDoCivic(self, ePlayer, eCivic): in ScenarioFunctions.py is negating its effects.

I added the line if pPlot.isFreshWater(): to reqSpring in order to prevent it from being used on Oases and Flood Planes. I didn't realize when it did so that it also makes the spell unusable on tiles adjacent to an Oasis.

There does not seem to be any reason why you shouldn't be able to use it on Scrub tiles, although casting the spell should remove the feature.

I just now removed the isFreshWater() line and made it check for an Oasis instead.

11. Aurelazza

Aurelazza Chieftain

Not entirely negating them, I'm afraid. Last patch the Wages of Sin Undercouncil dissolved with a majority vote (IIRC my Calabim were the only ones in favor of keeping it). What's worse, my permanent ally Faeryl Viconia eventually declared war on the Ossy/Hyborem alliance, dragging me in along with her and giving the forces of Good a huge advantage. One of those few times I had to use WB to bail myself out of trouble.

12. mcwill123

mcwill123 Pretender to the Throne

Yes I remember getting the event. Don't remember what I chose.

13. SergiuSS

SergiuSS Chieftain

Faeryl really loves to kidnap settled GP he DOW-ed on me to once when I played as Calabim and I DOW-ed on infernal when played Svarts :D
    About the underconcil there is no reason to leave it, the advantages are greater than disatvantages ,some :mad: from some religious temple and some wonders. This scenario would be better if you could always be the president of your representative council, I guess you could only defy a silly resolution but to many:mad: from that one ( this one is only for overconcil where you can't vote for yourself whit decius at start but ethne/basium would win anyway)
    About shrubs there is no reason why not to spring them since they provide one hammer and a plain can house a multitude of improvements

14. lastofthelight

lastofthelight Chieftain

For those of us new to the mod, and curious, what are the changes in the current version?

15. MagisterCultuum

It shouldn't be possible for anyone to declare war in the Wages of Sin Scenario, because of the GAMEOPTION_NO_CHANGING_WAR_PEACE and PermanentWarPeace between all teams.

Come to think of it though, I may have seen it happen once or twice anyway. I'm not sure how.

A failed use of the kidnap spell calls cf.startWar, but that function includes the line if not eTeam.isPermanentWarPeace(i2Team): so it shouldn't have any effect in this scenario. I just placed the whole code of the function within if not CyGame().isOption(gc.getInfoTypeForString('GAMEOPTION_NO_CHANGING_WAR_PEACE')): to be extra sure it doesn't happen. Hopefully that will help.

Unfortunately most of the vote related code is handled in the SDK and not exposed to python. A python call can be triggered by the passage of a vote, but it cannot trigger a vote, prevent a vote, change the result of a vote, or assign a secretary general.

16. Aurelazza

Aurelazza Chieftain

Going back a bit:

I just spent the better part of the day acquainting myself with the world of Civ IV / FfH2 modding, and still have no clue what in the world what the LSystem is (among many, many other things), but I might possibly be able to help on this matter. When I used PakBuild to unpack Assets0.FPK - Assets3.FPK from the "Sid Meier's Civilization 4/Assets" folder into a new folder, along with Pak0.FPK from "Sid Meier's Civilization 4/Beyond The Sword/Mods/Fall From Heaven 2/Assets", I found a "GrapeBunchAndLeaves" in the "Shared" folder. Is this what you were looking for? I also noticed some .dds's with titles like Wave Ring and Water Froth, for what you said about how the rippling water makes it difficult to change the graphics on sealife.

Does this remotely help?

Edit: Damn. After learning to mod games with Pokemon Black/White, coming into Civilization makes me feel like a middle-schooler walking into a P.H.D. level course. I'll doubtlessly be flooding the FAQ section with newbish questions for a while... :blush:

17. MagisterCultuum

Editing that file does change the appearance of the grapes, but because it is shared art I don't know what else it might change too. Also, I don't know how to create an alternate version of the model that looks for a different texture, so changing the grapes of wrath would change normal wine too. That kind of defeats the point.

The LSystem is the way that the game handles buildings, bonuses, improvements, etc., that need to take on a different appearance based on what is around them or based on the current era. It is controlled by CIV4CityLSystem.xml and CIV4PlotLSystem.xml. These are even harder to understand than the schema files. I believe that Xienwolf once said that these are the only two files in the game that could be considered to use XML as a programming language instead of merely a means to store data. I edited CIV4PlotLSystem.xml in order to make the Grigori Homesteads show up (the fields of the farm improvement are all handled in the LSystem), but that just involved copying everything that said IMPROVEMENT_FARM and changing it to IMPROVEMENT_HOMESTEAD. I have only the vaguest notion of what anything in those files does.

18. Aurelazza

Aurelazza Chieftain

I see. So if I understand correctly, it's the fact that the grapes are involved with the LSystem that makes it impossible to make a copy of them using a different texture? Slaves/Workers seem to use an identical model with different skins, as do all the tier 1 disciple units, Hemah and the Infernal Mage unit, etc.

I was hoping to do create a new unit or two using new skins on existing models, myself. Is this infeasible?

19. MagisterCultuum

It is certainly possible to use the same model (or rather a copy thereof) with different skins. All of the unit artwork that I've created works that way, as does most of the art that anyone else made for any other mod of Civ4.

The unit art defines (found in Assets/XML/Art/CIV4ArtDefines_Unit.xml) look like this:
    Code:
    		<UnitArtInfo>
    			<Type>ART_DEF_UNIT_KNIGHT_CALABIM</Type>
    			<Button>Art/Interface/Buttons/Units/Knight.dds</Button>
    			<fScale>0.42</fScale>
    			<fInterfaceScale>0.5</fInterfaceScale>
    			<bActAsLand>0</bActAsLand>
    			<bActAsAir>0</bActAsAir>
    			<NIF>Art/Units/Civs/Calabim/Knight/Knight.nif</NIF>
    			<KFM>Art/Units/Knight/Knight blood.kfm</KFM>
    			<ShadowDef>
    				<ShadowNIF>Art/Units/01_UnitShadows/HorseShadow.nif</ShadowNIF>
    				<ShadowAttachNode>BIP Pelvis</ShadowAttachNode>
    				<fShadowScale>1</fShadowScale>
    			</ShadowDef>
    				<fBattleDistance>0.35</fBattleDistance>
    				<fRangedDeathTime>0.31</fRangedDeathTime>
    				<bActAsRanged>0</bActAsRanged>
    				<TrainSound>AS2D_UNIT_BUILD_UNIT</TrainSound>
    			<AudioRunSounds>
    				<AudioRunTypeLoop/>
    				<AudioRunTypeEnd/>
    			</AudioRunSounds>
    		</UnitArtInfo>
    The .nif files are the models, and the .kfm files are the animations that go with those models. Notice that there are no mentions of the skins/textures. The models and animation files themselves contain those references. In all the cases I've seen they seem to only look for these files within their own folders. Technically each unit with unique art needs it own nif, but there is no need to make any actual changes to the file except for copying it into a new location. To make the art unique you would then edit the dds files found in the same folder.

I was thinking that I would need to use a model making program like Blender (which I have never gotten to work) in order to change what dds file a nif or kfm references, but I see now that it looks like it should be fairly simple to do this in NifScope.

I was thinking that the Wine resource's model would contain some complicated relative path to the file GrapeBunchandLeaves.dds, made necessary because it is not found in the model's own folder as is usually the case. I thought that if I copied the whole folder for the resource and I typically do then it would either still point to the same file or get completely messed up. It does not actually seem to include a path though, just the file name as usual. Perhaps the game is set to look under Shared whenever it cannot find a piece of art in the same file as the model. I could probably include an altered version of the file within the folder for the grapes of wrath resource without it changing anything else.

(This probably also means that uploads could be made a lot smaller by moving the many identical dds files to Shares instead of keeping them with their models. There are already so many different dds files with identical names being used though that giving them unique names and editing all the models that reference them would be a lot of work.)

I'm sure it is possible to make a alternate graphics for the hell version of Wine work using the LSystem. I just expect it to be a major hassle and so do not look forward to trying it.

There seem to be at least couple dozen references to Wine or Wineries in CIV4PlotLSystem.xml. Some of them seem to do with changing the graphics based on whether the plot is being worked or whether there is an improvement over the tile.

Many bonuses and improvements in the game do not use the LSystem. I could try to see if Grapes of Wrath would work fine without it, but I cannot promise anything.

One complication is that the Winery improvement's art includes leaves and so forth that match those on the ordinary Wine resource. If I changed those on Grapes of Wrath then the improvement probably would not look right unless I changed it too. Making the same improvement appear differently depending on that of the bonus on the tile is something that requires the LSystem. I might be able to learn from how Rice farms are made to look so different from corn farms, but that is not a high priority. (Creating a alternate improvement with the same name and making python switch them out would probably be easier.)

20. Doug Piranha

Doug Piranha Warlord

I finally downloaded this and am partway through my first game. I chose to play as the Calabim, and I really like the way Vampirism is implemented. Instead of just spamming infinite numbers of Vampires who automatically start with two of the best spell sphere promotions, getting vampire units actually requires some work and some strategic choices.

I've always felt like picking Flauros was like playing the game on Easy mode, and giving him the Charismatic trait on top of his two already very good traits certainly doesn't make him any harder to play.

Being able to take Mobility promotions on workers and settlers makes Horseback Riding even stronger than it already was. BtS Indian fast workers, anyone?