1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Major Discoveries on Charm... CHARM WORKS

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by tom2050, Jan 12, 2010.

1. tom2050

tom2050 Chieftain

As far as charm bombards not hitting city units... not enough testing has been done on charm buildings to know for sure.

If you playing on DEBUG mode, you will know for sure... otherwise it's tough to tell, because charmed unit will 'sink to bottom of the stack'.

It seems there has been different results. I have 100% for sure seen units get charm damaged with charm barrier in place. I was testing with 99 bombard and high RoF though. Seems units in cities act different with charm bombard (obviously :)).

You got BombardFX to work with Charm units? Great! IIRC, those explosions I couldn't get to show up.

2. MeteorPunch

MeteorPunch #WINNING Supporter

From what I can tell, they can't hit units within cities that have no charm barrier buildings (haven't tested with charm barrier buildings).

Doh, I misspoke..:blush:

I was doing so many different tests with artillery that I confused myself. Charm units have no bombard hit animation and no bombard miss animation, except when they are attacking cities.

(deleting parts of previous post)

3. just bob

just bob Chieftain

This is a really flippin' long thread.
    Can somebody who knows the jist of what it says sum it up for me, or point me to important posts? I read the first page.. lol

4. tom2050

tom2050 Chieftain

The 1st post of this thread, which shows Known Charm Functions, lists discovered attributes of Charm.

In essence, charm can be used with bombard units; and it makes it so a successful hit halves a units defense instead of knocking off hitpoints.

5. just bob

just bob Chieftain

Ah, ok. thanks. I shoulda realized the first post was prolly kept updated

6. cemo1956

cemo1956 Chieftain

I might be slow in thinking BUT
    could then charm help out considering the ancient/medieval Siege Artillery situation and perhaps the "carpet bombing" Lancaster, Flying Fortress and B-52 bombers of later time.
    I know using precision bombing for these heavy bombers are perhaps also an idea, but does it work?

If one put down certain city defense enhancebuildings like of course City Walls as charm buildings, then would Siege use stuff (even the Siege Tower) concentrate on crushing the walls of the city ?

Will the AI build these early "wall crushers" to have them brake the ancient huge citywalls ?
    Other "artillery" units like Ballistas and later Field artillery should then be used only vs units in the field. Airforces should have two variants of bombers. Heavy bombers (Lancaster) to attack cities and having Collateral Damage of course, then Stukas/ P47 T-Birds/ Mosquitos to attack units.

This sounds OK, but will this work like a Charm ????

I know the idea of making Artillery offensive instead of artillery in the editor and with 2 MVP getting the AI to use Artillery more offensive seams to work. BUT then I for one doesn´t like the much bigger chance of actually losing the artillery piece when it attacks another 2 MVP unit.
    I know artillery in this state have both attack values AND bombard values, but if the AI uses the artillery as a normal unit it stands a great chance of losing it like normal units.

According to this survey the AI obviously likes to create Charm units if they have a Charm building in a city it might take out of action.
    Then Charm will perhaps be a much more likeable idea than having artillery as offensive units.

Beside the artillery I would be very happy if the aircraft situation with that dive-bomber getting a more specific role and that having heavy bombers built just for the reason they really was.

Question then remains if the City Walls and other city defensive improvements should be the only ones to be dedicated as Charm barriers.
    The Wild Weasel idea was fun ;-)

7. _ghost_

_ghost_ Chieftain

um. i have a short question... i play CivIII concquests and. i can'T find this charm abillity in the whole editor... where is it?

8. tom2050

tom2050 Chieftain

9. Steph

Steph Multi Many Tasks man Retired Moderator

It's not in the regular editor.

You can find it in my editor (it's not the only one that supports it).

10. _ghost_

_ghost_ Chieftain

thx a lot. i found it :)

11. rysmiel

rysmiel Chieftain

Thank you for all this work; this stuff is fascinating and I shall definitely be playing around with it.

12. Takhisis

Takhisis is it fall yet

Post the results!

13. cemo1956

cemo1956 Chieftain

Anyone kept this in some testing.It´s been a year and then some, so hopefully some modders perhaps have come up with some new results, or just confirm the issue on having charm in the artilerry or bombing issues.