Major Discoveries on Charm... CHARM WORKS

:trouble: What? You're with the competence? You, you, you... you APOLYTONIAN!!!

Mr Cheatem should refer to the siege thread now that he has finished his book.

Hey tom, can we use charm bombard on 'suicide' units like Cruise Missiles?

I can't remember if I left this info or not, but updated page 1.

Lethal land - Lethal land bombard on a charm artillery will allow it to bombard a unit with 1 hp left. Without lethal land bombard, the unit cannot bombard a unit with 1 hp left.

So in essence similar as with regular artillery.

tom2050, this was a very, very good finding about the charm attack! On a German Civ site some time ago I wrote, that this feature is still undiscovered and the one who finds the solution has to receive a kind of a Civ Nobel-prize. So here is your prize:

:trophy:

About your last post: Does the combination lethal bombard and charm attack also work for defensive fire to take away the last HP? This would be a great setting for the anti-tank guns in SOE.

Hey tom, can we use charm bombard on 'suicide' units like Cruise Missiles?

Unfortunately, nukes and cruise missiles ignore charm. Charm bombards also only work against land units. Land, Planes, and Naval units can hit land units with charm; although Planes and Navies themselves are impervious.

tom2050, this was a very, very good finding about the charm attack! On a German Civ site some time ago I wrote, that this feature is still undiscovered and the one who finds the solution has to receive a kind of a Civ Nobel-prize. So here is your prize:

:trophy:

About your last post: Does the combination lethal bombard and charm attack also work for defensive fire to take away the last HP? This would be a great setting for the anti-tank guns in SOE.

There is still not alot known about some things, like how Charm buildings work, or what their purpose is.

Defensive bombard on a charm unit does not appear to have an effect at all. I don't remember if I tested with lethal land or not though. But the reason being, is that charm seems to only effect defense values.

So even if defensive charm bombard worked, the attacking unit would still have full attack strength (and it's defense would be halved for only it's current turn, which means no one could ever take advantage of the weakness).

I agree, would be a great way for AT guns. I have found that Charm works best for certain type of aircraft. AI uses them well; and it uses aircraft before moving ground units; so this is perfect that it can halve units defense with certain air power, then attack with ground forces.

First post has a list of everything that is known so far. Charm should never be made powerful, because it checks the charm attack against each and every unit in a stack. 1 shot of 3 bombard and 2 RoF Charm can surprisingly hit alot of powerful units.

Unfortunately, nukes and cruise missiles ignore charm. Charm bombards also only work against land units. Land, Planes, and Naval units can hit land units with charm; although Planes and Navies themselves are impervious.

There is still not alot known about some things, like how Charm buildings work, or what their purpose is.

Defensive bombard on a charm unit does not appear to have an effect at all. I don't remember if I tested with lethal land or not though. But the reason being, is that charm seems to only effect defense values.

So even if defensive charm bombard worked, the attacking unit would still have full attack strength (and it's defense would be halved for only it's current turn, which means no one could ever take advantage of the weakness).

I agree, would be a great way for AT guns. I have found that Charm works best for certain type of aircraft. AI uses them well; and it uses aircraft before moving ground units; so this is perfect that it can halve units defense with certain air power, then attack with ground forces.

First post has a list of everything that is known so far. Charm should never be made powerful, because it checks the charm attack against each and every unit in a stack. 1 shot of 3 bombard and 2 RoF Charm can surprisingly hit alot of powerful units.

tom2050, thank you very much for your answer. :)

About the defense bombardement by AT-guns, etc.: I agree when a 1 HP unit attacks a unit with lethal defense charm bombardement, the halfing of the defense value of the attacking unit doesn´t matter. The question is, if the normal defense bombardement with added lethal charm attack can take out such a unit.

Or is there no normal bombardement added to the charm bombardement ?

Your hint about planes with charm attack make me think of using it with Stukas, as chemical attacks or as neutronium bombs.

There should be done some tests with those features. Unfortunately I don´t have a lot of time for these tests at present.

Please point me in the direction of the charm ability...is it in a cracked editor ?

Thanks guys.

I actually found it after I did a little digging.

Is multi-player able to play simultaneously? If so, could defensive charm have an effect?

Good point... not sure if MP could be used for each player to see if there is an effect or not. I've never played MP, so perhaps someone who does can answer that?

tom2050, thank you very much for your answer. :)

About the defense bombardement by AT-guns, etc.: I agree when a 1 HP unit attacks a unit with lethal defense charm bombardement, the halfing of the defense value of the attacking unit doesn´t matter. The question is, if the normal defense bombardement with added lethal charm attack can take out such a unit.

That should be an easy test to see if normal def bombard with lethal can kill a unit. AI I don't believe actually knows what charm does. It uses charm units like normal units, but using with Stukas is a good idea and works very well with AI.

Or is there no normal bombardement added to the charm bombardement ?

Your hint about planes with charm attack make me think of using it with Stukas, as chemical attacks or as neutronium bombs.

There should be done some tests with those features. Unfortunately I don´t have a lot of time for these tests at present.

IIRC, I wasn't able to get charm bombardment to destroy land improvements, etc. It definitely cannot get a normal bombardment hit.

Civinator said:

Unfortunately, no. I gave a stack of units defensive bombard of 99 with lethal land. I attacked the enemy stack with my stack (of 1 hp left units); and the units do not even use def bombard when there is only 1 hp left.. only on units with more than 1 hp.

Charm and teleporation are also supported in my editor.

If all these features are working stabil, it´s now time to switch to your editor. Teleportation, charm and SGLs are options no other known editor can provide. :)

p.s.: Steph it´s time to remove these christmas smilies.

Can someone please clarify: it seems charm bombard cannot "hit" units within a city unless there is a charm barrier?

Top Bottom