Major League Baseball 2012 Season

While I totally get wanting to not end Strasburg's career by blowing up his elbow, two things to point out: 1) getting to the World Series is a potentially once in a career thing for many players and a once in a long-while thing for many teams. If Strasburg cannot help your team win the Series in any year they have the opportunity to go then what's the point of having him? Would you like a much better shot at a Ring now and a maybe tired Strasburg next year or would you like no ring now and no guarantee you make it again, ever? 2) Strasburg does not guarantee you any wins but he sure as hell makes them a lot more likely. A shutdown ace is usually a key part of any WS run and he is the only guy on that roster who you can pretty much guarantee will be lights out 99% of the time. Banking on 2 wins in a 7 game series is huge. Without him the Nats chances go way down.

Just as a point on this whole "should the Nats have down this or that with Strasburg" thing - they still need to beat the team in front of them. Having been outscored 23 to 9 through four games, they are rather fortunate still to be alive, and there's no player alive who gives you the performance above replacement to warrant thinking that the Nats would have won this series by now. Hell, if they had added Babe Ruth or Sandy Koufax in their prime it would have only made it more sure of being a 2-2 split, and I doubt we're really comparing Strasburg to either of those guys quite yet.

So I'd think that Nats fans should just shaddap and be grateful that their team got on the right end of two one-run games. It's a good series, and has some really dramatic baseball in it (and if you can't get excited by this, or the Giants-Reds series, or either of the AL divisional match-ups then I've got to wonder if you're paying attention). I think the odds are that the Nats will win tonight, but, who knows, the Cards have played far better than Washington so far this series, so we do have a good chance.

and... down 6-1 the cardinals come back to win the series 9-7.

Was that the Cardinals being clutch or the Nationals choking?

Based on the 4-run ninth inning. Probably a little of both. It was 7-5 with one out remaining at one point.

Best quote of the night (about the cardinals):

They are strictly screwing with people at this point. They could go 162-0 and sweep the postseason, but they live for that moment when 50,000 people all get silent at the same time.

I am forced to reply with:

One day, someone will find Atlantis and deep in the middle of its baseball field will be our last strike

Also... when did our rotation get turned around backwards? We've got Lynn, Carp, Lohse, Wainwright coming up.

choke, miracle, resilience, champs, strasburg, wasted season :lol: natitude, take back the park...next year! awesome ending. couldn't have scripted it any better. nice way to rip their hearts out. we here in the Delaware Valley have become cards fans overnight. outstanding.

I don't usually pay attention to baseball other than looking at the scores and simply favoring the Orioles and Nats, but last night, I looked at the scores. (I would watch it, but I don't have cable.)

"Okay, it's a shame that the Orioles lost. But Washington's leading 6-1 in the fifth!!! We've got this in the bag! :clap: I'm not gonna stay up any longer, but it'll feel great to know we won. :D"

Sigh. How Washingtonian of them.

I don't think you can call that a wasted season at all. When your organization has been that inept for so long, winning a competitive division title and bringing playing baseball to Washington after a gazillion years has to be a success. It's disappointing that they fell apart down the stretch, but if you're a Nats fan, I think you have to feel pretty comfortable about the state of your organization right now.

Lots of young talent, a willingness to be competitive in the free agent market, and division that is shaping up nicely for you, and Bryce Harper, who is likely going to hit better than .200 in the playoffs next year.

I'll root for the Cards to win the whole thing, but I think both the Nats and the Os have a lot to be happy about (Im not nearly as bullish about the O's future though)

<shaking head>

I go to bed with them up 6-1, I wake up to 9-7.

Two championship caliber clutch hitting squads going at it for the NLCS. I am a Junior Circuit (AL) guy but the ALCS looks like a giant snoozefest compared to that. ooooh yankees tigers, yeah awesome :suicide:

Yankees gonna die.

I was hoping for Reds-Nationals though. Damn you NL!

All the teams I wanted to win lost.

Rooting for a Tigers-Giants WS. I am getting into this postseason, if nothing else.

Yankees gonna die.

I was hoping for Reds-Nationals though. Damn you NL!
I was really hoping for a Baltimore-Washington World Series. That would have been beautiful. Speaking as a fan of both teams.

Top Bottom